Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Sorry guys....53 Chevy Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Carne's 53', Oct 18, 2012.

1. El Carne's 53'

El Carne's 53'
    from Oceanside

Thanks fellas..im so excited. I ordered tires yesterday, so it'll be a couple o weeks before i get em..gunna try and mock up the driveline this weekend!!

2. Who and what tires did you go with?

3. Crazy....in a good way. Cool you got your car back. I never let mine go, just keep hauling the mess around. Of course, it's been nearly 20 years since it's been back on the road so what do I know? LOL Loving your re-build.

4. El Carne's 53'

El Carne's 53'
    from Oceanside

I went with Diamondback II's, theyre made with Toyo tires and are rated to 65000 miles...which is a shit ton of miles. For radials i guess there the best, alot of people told me that Cokers have gone to shit and the tread seperates, and they wont warranty them anymore...Ed at Classicwhitewalltires
    (714) 769-4800 ordered em for me..i met them at the LB swap meet and he told me the best to go with. I got 205/70/R15 with the 2.5" whitewall...should tuck perfectly WAY up in my fender wells:D

diamondback tires.jpg

5. El Carne's 53'

El Carne's 53'
    from Oceanside

So I've started to button up the frame Z. Its pretty rough right now, but it will clean up nice i swear!!:(:D
    I put some cap pices to cover the top hole with some rosette welds, and cut a pie section out of the bottom and folded the bottom of the frame up to meet the Z'd part. Next will be to remove the shock mounts and body mounts to make some boxing plates for the sides and top and bottom...with any luck it will look pretty stock...except for the big god damn plates welded to the frame that is. :eek:

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg

6. El Carne's 53'

El Carne's 53'
    from Oceanside

One last nugget for the day...about two months ago a went the the long beach swap and scored some 56 Packard rear quarter panel sections and a bumper for 200 bucks...:eek::D unfortunately, they didn't have the lights with em...and i would soon learn that finding 56 Clipper lights was like finding a virgin after prom night...:( Now dont get me wrong, i found a set on Ebay for $1550.00. Thats right $1550. :eek: SO...needless to say I was pretty butthurt, and was contemplating not running em...Not to mention, every swinging dick with a 53/54 Chevy already has or is in the process of installing Clipper lights on his pile...BUT, theres a reason for that...THERE F'N BADASS!!!:cool::cool::D
    As luck would have it, a fellow hamber (Tokyo) came to my aid and sold me a set he had at a fair price, they need some work, but I was SUPER AMPED!! They came in the mail yesterday. Best. Halloween. Ever.
    4.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

7. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Just my 2 cents on that z I always fishplate on the side to give it a little extra strength

8. SIC98

SIC98

Sweet Chebby, I had everything to put the Clipper lights in my 54 before I had to sell it, it's such a cool look, can't wait to see it done!..Brian

9. Tin Can

Tin Can

Dang right 56 packard lights are flippin Bad A!! is a 53/54. Your build is comming along great!

10. FleetlineDLux

FleetlineDLux
    from Canada

I'm installing the same c notch this winterfrom Jimenez, thanks for the pics..car looks fantastic!

11. StayGold54

StayGold54

Subscribed! Nice build man!! Love the story and the pics!! Hey, it looks like im just around the block from you!? You still in Oside? Cool to know a local HAMBr thats also working on a 53/54 car!:cool:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  12. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Normally I can get away with reading the HAMB at work - not during reading this thread! Cool story, sweet car, and thanks for the laughs along the way.

Keep up the good work and comical posts!