Register now to get rid of these ads!

what buick tail light lenses fit 55 chevy housings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42hotrod, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I have seen several times where someone has installed the all red tail lights in a 55, they look really good without the clear backup lenses. Is it a 56 buick lense? And how close of a fit are they?

Thanks,

Scot

2. jerseymike

jerseymike

it is '56, they do need some trimming and are hard to find. you can get aftermarket one piece '55 chevy lenses that replace both the red and white lenses.

3. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Yes they're a '56 Buick lens. I believe Dad said some filing will be involved. But he installed his way back in the early '60s when he had his '55 in an afternoon, it's not a bad project at all!

4. larry k

larry k

what about the old lee tail light lens "da ain't buick,! but da sure do look cool"

5. b-bob

b-bob

Do they re-pro those Buick lenses or did i see the 55 Chev onepiece ones/

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You can also run 56 Olds 98 lenses after they have been cut in half.. Way cool.. If you run 56 Buick lenses they are a little narrow.. Heat the edges with a heat gun and gently pull out.. Also way cool, but not as cool as the Olds lenses.........

7. I had a set of 56 Buick ones in my black 55 chev 2-door. There is some filing involved to shape them to fit the opening. Not sure if I would try heating and bending them as they are pretty brittle due to age and I did mine back in the 80's. Pat.

8. Gator

Gator

9. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Perfect, thanks!

I'm thinking the 2 piece smooth would look good.

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Still not as cool as the real thing.........

11. Graham-Cracker

Graham-Cracker

I have one 56 buick lens on the tail light shelf in my shop.If you need it E mail [email protected]

12. 50's guy

50's guy
    from Texas

I may b a little late but if u still have a 56 Buick tail light lens I sure could use one!!

13. Model T1

Model T1

My 55 Chevy wagon has 56 Buick lenses. Minor filling with plumbers putty around base. Many 55 Chevys did not have back up lights even though the white lense was there. Mine, a 210, had metal plugs in the back up light holes. I added extra sockets and have duel lights on each side. Great for visibility, especially blinker and brake.
    Also many vendors sell the LEE lense look alike.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  14. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

[​IMG]

Go with the 56 buick lenses, they require a bit of trimming but look much better than the lee lenses.

15. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

[​IMG]
    javascript:void(0);
    I think this is the photo, I dont know how to post off of photobucket. :mad:

16. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

17. ^ ^ Looks cool.

I picked up a pair of 56 Buick lenses I'm gonna put in my 55 when I get around to it, probably over the winter. No need to rush into it. ;)

18. Jay71

Jay71

I ruined a couple 56 lenses trying to get them to fit the way I wanted them to. Broke down and bought the Lee style lenses from mooneyes. I'm happy with them, but the Buick lenses look better in my opinion.

19. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

The easiest way to trim them I found is to use a belt sander and sand them to fit. Just gotta be careful no to take too much off ;)

20. Yep while the buick lense will work and is an option you can get repop Lee Lenses which were real popular way back when from Night Prowlers real reasonable and they are just a stick it in there and run with it lense.

21. Gator,
    You would probably know this, are the Lee Lenses that Night Prowlers sells gennie or copies?

22. Stu55

Stu55
    from Dallas Tx

I used the Night Prowler lenses. They fit great without all the fitting issues. Original 56 taillights are hard to find and expensive. I also like the way the Night Prowlers look when illuminated compared to the Buick lenses.

23. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";8310399][​IMG][/QUOTE]

Whoa! the buick lens looks way cool!

24. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

[​IMG]

I aint sure exactly what tail lights were in my 55 they look crossed in between lee lenses and buick lenses. Im sure they are some 60s after market lenses. I broke one of em and cant find a replacement. So thats why im using the buick lenses. :(

25. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

they kool in real life too
    did it undid it re did it
    like em both
    :cool:

26. desertjoe

desertjoe
    from New Mexico

I looked at the Lee lenses and still like the smooth look better, as they look to be darker which I like too. Does anybody know who sells the darker, smooth finish lenses? I been looking in Ebay and only find the Lee style. Thanks

27. Sonny Day Out

Sonny Day Out

All,

1955 Buick Lenses have also been used ! 55s have horizontal ribs !

Good Luck,
    Sonny

28. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Pic of the modified 56 Olds 98 lense...

Attached Files:

29. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Just a comment and not really the same idea, but certainly another option, you can buy the clear backup lens molded in red.

Add a dual filament bulb and tie that socket in with your tail lamps and you have created yet another custom look and doubled your visibility. I kind of like the original stainless band separating the two lens too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
    Kustomline54 likes this.
  30. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

OK I've had these Buick lenses on the shelf for quite a while waiting for someone to post step by step instructions on how to make them fit.
    Today I gave up on you guys and dove into the job.
    Somewhere it was said that you can put in a bead of plumbers putty to fill the gap, so I figured I didn't have to make them fit EXACTLY!
    As it turned out almost all of the material I removed was from the bottom of the lens,

Attached Files: