Register now to get rid of these ads!

TremecTKO500 in 54 Belair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dunk54, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Dunk54

Dunk54

Hello All. Going to be putting in a Tremec TKO 500 in my 54 Belair behind a 355. I'm pretty sure the shifter position needs to be the mid one (12.5"?) but want to check for sure. Anyone running a similar set up? I'm guessing I can figure out the actual shift level/stick myself unless there is an off the shelf one that people have used that is good. I'm in the UK so want to get it right first time :)

Cheers

Duncan.

2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't help you with the '54 info, but just remember that the transmission is shipped with the shifter in the rearmost position. You can turn the rear mounting plate 180 degrees and move the shifter about 2" forward before needing to jump to the optional mid-shifter kit.

3. Cerberus

Cerberus

I installed a TKO600 in my '56 DelRay. Shifter was located in the center position by Keisler Engr., to clear the bench seat. If you have bucket seats the rear position should be fine unless you are under 5'8" and short legged, and need the the seat in the most forward position.

Attached Files:

4. HamD

HamD

If you use an adapter plate between transmission and bellhousing, make sure it isn't windowed in front of the countershaft bearing race. :)

5. Dunk54

Dunk54

Centre mount sounds right then. Yeah, picked up it was an optional extra but that's cool. Running the bench seat still too. Thanks all for the info. Getting everything together slowly but surely.

6. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Yup what he said!

7. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

You will love it! I have a 600 in my car with 4:44 rear end! Best of both worlds! 1-4 ridiculous! 5th 1900rpm 68 mph! Love it!

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, just about guarentee ya you need a mid shifter. I have been running one in my '48 Plymouth for about 9 years now, and it's worked fine. I just realized I can run the standard shifter in the forward posistion, so I'm going to redo it that way. You'll love this trans. If I can't kill one, no one can! I got the very first TKO600 in the Western states and have drive the living hell out of it since - like about 100,000 miles or so behind a bit over 400 HP.

9. Cerberus

Cerberus

Don't be surprized if you have to relieve the floor some. I welded up the various holes in my '56 floor, they were ragged and bad from previous owners installing muncies etc.Then, cut a new opening for the TKO to clear. Installed a Eckler's tunnel cover using nutcerts, for easy removal later. The TKO will put a big smile on your face as you bang the gears.:)

Attached Files:

10. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

This is true! You might have to mod the tunnel a bit. I had to.
    Jay

11. Dunk54

Dunk54

man, thanks so much for the info and I'm getting pretty fizzy about the whole set up now. I'm running a vovlo axle which is at 3.73:1 (about the same as the stock 54 3 speed axle) so knew it would rattle through the first gears and then sit nice in 5th. Was ready for the chopping about, the trans supplier has said they do a machining job on the casing that can make it a better fit too. thanks to need louvers for the initial pointer and also for the vote of confidence in the road miles!!

12. Dunk54

Dunk54

that must be bam, bam, bam, bam through the first 4 with a 4:44!! Killer!!

13. Dunk54

Dunk54

Thanks for the photos. Nice to see the shifter/ lever in position.

14. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Curious, but what size are your rear tires? With a .64/.68 5th, you would have to have about 33.6"-36" dia. tires to match the above numbers. :)

15. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

I have one in my Willys Aero but I had to use the front shifter location with the bench seat. I don't know how to post pictures but my son posted some under the threads [willy's aero hot rod]&[any willys aeros out there-post#18]

16. dualquadpete

dualquadpete

Heres some pics. [i hope ] of TKo 500 in my 52 Cdn/Pontiac. I removed the inp. cover from floor [think 54 has this too] & made small cut to get it too fit remaining floor. then cut the top off insp. plate & used wire mesh & fibreglass to mould up cover to clear trans.

Attached Files:

17. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Thanks for the info guys, I'm looking to put a TKO 500 in my 50 fleetline. The pic are a great help to me too!

18. Dunk54

Dunk54

running 27" dia on tyres on mine so hoping to get that nice rpm drop in 5th. seeing as petrol/gas in the UK is at around $8 a gallon at present!!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013