Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not Really A Lover Of Rolls Royce's But.........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UK RUSS 1960 OLDS, Sep 24, 2012.

1. UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

Hi All,

I am not normaly a fan of Rolls Royce's but this one i snapped at the Buntingford Show 01-09-2012, was more than a cut above their usual stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers.

Russ.

2. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Did your camera run out of colored film?

3. UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

Hi Roger,

:) Most of Buntingford village is quite old and some of the vehicles at the show suit the black and white pics so i take two cameras with me, one set up for colour pics and the other for black and whites.

Unfortunately after the show had finished i didn't have my camera to hand when that Rolls Royce glided up the road in sheer silence, and with the rumble seat down from a side profile it looked perfect needless to say the quality of finish was perfect also.

Cheers.

Russ.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. Weasel

Weasel

Love it - thanks for posting something different - I like different - works for me and always has! Yes Buntingford is 'quaint'....;)

5. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

WOW!!! What a car. Does anybody have any other photos of this beauty? I would love to see a full side shot of this...

6. Thanx for posting this Russ.I never knew that Rolls made a coupe.I'm an Oldfart & I've never seen one.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say the reason for that is that it's a one off body as most Rolls bodies from that era were. Someone bought the chassis and had the body built by a coach builder who did a fantastic one off coupe.
    Imagine the look on someone's fact at that time when they were told they would have to ride in the rumble seat rather inside the Rolls though.
    I too would like to see some photos of it with the rumble seat closed.

8. UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

Hi Guys,

I am still looking for some full on side shots with the rumble seat closed. It was so busy in the grounds of the old house on the day that i never got a chance at the time and intended to go back a bit later on when it might have been a bit quiter, however that didn't happen.

As "Mr48chev" says back in the 30's Rolls Royce generaly supplied the chassis and running gear and then you would go to a coachbuilder like Park Ward, Mulliner etc to get kitted out with a body.

Amazing forsight by the original owner to come up with this body. certainly the only one i have ever seen.

One of my friends Gary Lampard helps to organise this event each year and although he is responsible for the american, Hot Rod, and Rockabilly side of it i am sure he will be able to help out with some more info on the Rolls.

Will post up if i can find anymore pics or info.

Cheers.

Russ.

9. cayager

cayager

wow i bet you HAMBers would love to cut this one up:eek:

10. I've never seen a model like that. Just Roasters,Sedans,Limos,and Hearses.

11. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

First Rolls coupe I have ever seen. The front looks 1930's the rear looks 1940's.

12. UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

Hi Guys,

Only managed to glean a tiny bit of info via my mate Gary who looked up the pre-entry listing. First registered 05 June 1936, 4257cc. Apparently the small hatch on the side behind the front passenger door is to slide your golf clubs in.

Hopefully will have some more info next week when Gary speaks to the man that organises that end of the car show.

Cheers.

Russ.

13. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Man, I dig the older one. I've been lucky enough to detail a '12 Silver Ghost, and "drive" it off a trailer. Never paid attention to RR until I got my hands on one. Now, I wish I could find an affordable Flying Lady ornament for my collection.

14. Weasel

Weasel

Ask and ye shall receive....

[​IMG]

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

To ride in a possibly one-off Rolls Royce? ....I'll take the rumble seat !!!!!!!!!!! Did Mulliner Park-Ward do that body ?

4TTRUK

16. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Maybe O/T ...

Here's one that is getting a unique heart transplant.

Attached Files:

17. scotts52

scotts52

I don't believe that is the same car.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

No, it's not. The last one has more '30s flavor, with the non-sloped top.

I have converted a number of R.R.'s to left hand steering for operation here in the states...
    My former boss had a Silver Cloud, I did a brake job and some other repairs...anyone ever see the brake operation on a Rolls?

19. Davyj

Davyj

I think that needs a blown hemi..............maybe air bags and a set of wheels..............

20. Weasel

Weasel

Scotts 52 I think you're right. There were so many coachbuilders of Rolls in the 1930s....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  21. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Atwater, I have never seen that brake system.....But as it was once described to me, and it sounded like a real bear to work on!!

For me, keeping the right hand drive is half the fun of driving it ! It's not at all difficult to get used to.

4TTRUK

22. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Except for some Springfield built cars, during the time that car was built Rolls didn't make bodies. They supplied a running chassis with cowl, hood, and finished radiator. Single seat Rolls-Royces are out there, but other body styles were much more common. I did a little work on a V-12 Phantom III roadster. The car seemed even more huge as a single seater.

23. Weasel

Weasel

Could it be one of these bodies? This is described as a Rolls Royce 20/25 by Carlton....

[​IMG]

24. UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

Hi Weasel,

That one looks too small to me, i think the one i posted was probably based on a Phantom, it was a big car, i would guess a good 18 foot plus. There is not enough room behind the door on the rear quarter for the golf club hatch, those doors are swung the usual way around rather than suicide as on the other car, the rear roof line looks to be to squarer rather than sloped.

Cheers.

Russ.

25. UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

Still waiting for some more info on this car.

[​IMG]

Cheers.

Russ.