Register now to get rid of these ads!

App doesn't work behind Great Firewall

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by BuiltFerComfort, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

This is just for amusement and FYI. I have an old 1st-gen iPhone 2g; unlocked, that I take overseas. I buy a local SIM card with data so I can do email etc. (It uses GPRS for data, not 3g - dial-up speeds. Way better than nothing though.)

The iPhone runs OS 3.x and has the old version of the app on it - the one with the red startup screen. The newer version won't run on it, at least the Apple app store won't upgrade to a newer version.

The JJ app works in Europe ok, but not in China. When behind the Great Firewall of China, the website is accessible okay in a browser, but not the app. The app launches ok but then gives network errors. I presume the app uses some intermediate site or IP address that is firewalled off.

Now you know why your app sales in mainland China are so few. Well, that and the language & lack of hot rod culture & "emerging market" mindset that new=good and old=bad.

2. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

The port the app runs on is probably blocked as the IP address should be virtually the same. If you're connected via WiFi at that location with a router you access to the settings, you could try port forwarding.

3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

With cellular data and an iPhone I can't do much in that regard. I have nothing to influence the data route.

If I had to stay there longer I'd try a US proxy for all sorts of things. But for a single week, eh, it's okay. The blocking is ust amusing really.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Maybe when you are connecting to the HAMB you're actually connecting to a cheap Chinese knock-off.... :rolleyes::):D