Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bottom of 1963 Nova SS Convertable

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by [email protected], Oct 30, 2012.

1. I have been working at a friends hot rod shop here in Grand Junction and I thought I might post some photos of the Nova we have been working on...

The attached photos are of the bottom of the car...Once we get it back from the sandblaster we blow it off/out and get as much of the sand out of the car as possible, we then sand the bottom of the car with 80 gritt paper. Weld up and fill in any holes, shoot a sealer filler primer (not sure what the heck they use) on it.

After that filler primer drys we do any body work that needs to be done to make it smooth and nice... Gets shot again....

We sand it again with 220 gritt...more filler (bondo) if needed and then it is shot with a primer...500 gritt wet the areas we want to be shinny and scotch bright the rest...

We tape it all off (shinny areas) and then it is shot with a hippo liner tinted the color of the car...pull the taped off areas and then shoot the shinny single stage paint....

The cars really turn out nice....

Hope you enjoyed sorry not so technical...

Attached Files:

2. montyl

montyl
    from UT

looks like you did a bit of a mini tub? Looks good

3. montyl,
    No mini tub...owner is keeping this thing stock with the original 6 cylinder automatic.
    Thanks for looking,
    Dan

4. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Nice job, looks good.

5. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

No big rust holes?? What a great start.

6. scrubba

scrubba

Very interesting. I'm working on a 1962 for a customer . scrubba

7. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

I used to own a '64 Nova SS, it was a blast! It was a true "little old lady's car" even though it came from the factory as a red-on-red, V8 car. I would probably still own it today if someone didn't see it at a car show and offer me too much money.
    It's still strange to think of an "SS" car with a 6 cyl?!?

8. grapp

grapp

That is a nice rotisserie.

9. If that's an all original floor pan that damn thing is clean! Those things were basically fertilizer after just a few years so seeing one in this condition with no patches or replacement panels is amazing.

Nice!

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Very nice work, it looks really good.

11. Western Slope of Colorado has some very nice cars with very little rust...this one had a little but mostly in the quarters and fenders...floor board were nice. I think I heard that all 63 Novas only had 4 or 6 cylinders in them and the 8's came out later any truth to that?
    Thanks for checking out this post, did you look at the 1937 Chevy Coupe bottom post? Better photos than this post.
    Thanks
    Dan

12. I believe that to be true but I also know that a "dealer installed" V8 was available. I'm just not sure what years.

13. 4ever18

4ever18

Yes, Chevrolet started offering the 283 cu. in. V8 sometime during the 1964 Model Year. They were available with either manual or automatic trans. The 4 speed cars did not use a console. I have stashed away in the basement a '64 283 from a 4 door sedan Nova, which I disassembled a long time ago.

14. rampant150

rampant150

Who is the cranky old fart who keeps rating stuff one star for no good reason?

15. Looks like 3 to me but I'll put my 2 cents in to see if I can help it out.

(Normally I couldn't give a rat's ass)

16. i have 4 very nice 13" ss hubcaps with the tri bar on them 4 sale

17. I think the owner is going to run his custom wheels...but I will let him know incase he wants to go stock wheels.