Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Kent Fuller Top Fueler Recreated

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by riceman, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Don't forget the Arrow racing bike 'liner guys with the red one, periscope there as well.

2. 49willard

49willard
    from Maine

Been there and sat there last year. The driving position is behind the front wheels and forward of the flathead mid engine. As indicated, you are almost lying down on your back looking thru a slit of a windshield with mirrors to the sides and back (to observe the chute deploy). I seem to remember Kent saying that you cant use a "periscope" to look forward on the salt-salt rules. Lots of unique Fuller designed and fabricated features. Kent hasn't missed a year on the salt since 1957!

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  3. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

From the e-mail photos that I saw , the driver should be about the size of a 10 year old .

4. Scaling that car up from my own engine stand I say it is 2/3rds the size of Costellas cars! If you have been next to one of those you know it is SMALL

5. 49willard

49willard
    from Maine

I fit easily inside the cockpit at 5' 10 and 185#. It is 29 ft long if I remember correctly. No steering wheel and twin levers to steer as I remember.

6. 49willard

49willard
    from Maine

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

More, but this should be on a different thread.

Attached Files:

8. 49willard

49willard
    from Maine

Thanks for posting the pictures. The picture on the left with the streamliner in paint shows progress since I was there just a year ago which is great to see. A year ago it was unpainted.

9. riceman

riceman

I received some bad news that my engine builder, Pop Bradford came down with a blood clot in his leg that went to his lung. He is doing fine now with blood thinners and is in rehab.

I am corncerned more about his health and my motor can wait for the M & R Special. Hopefully he'll get out soon from rehab and we can figure out our game plan.

I was planning on bringing both my dragsters to the K...ingdon Drags Reunion in September and Bakersfield in October for the California Hot Rod Reunion. So Plan B maybe put into action.

Plan B would be to pull the motor out of the Brissette Fueler, install the block, heads and all the rest that belongs on the M & R motor, bolt it altogether and bring out only one Fueler, the finished M & R Special to both events.

There is still alot of work to be done if this happens, I have parts at different shops being done spread out all over Northern California. Interior work, decals, engine parts. ETC.

LATEST NEWS !

I just talked with Pop Bradford and he is ready to get out of JAIL (Rehab) and go home. LOL.

From what we talked about, the motor is closer than I thought. An algin bore for the new main caps and waiting for pistons is all about it.

I have to get the head studs, oil filter plate, copper head gaskets and a System One Filter. I am sure more parts will be needed as we go along.

Pop has taught al...ot of guys during his working career on motor assembly and he will guide me through the assembly procedures. Learning from him will be an honor.

I have built my own road race motors in the past and learned alot from helping Gerry Steiner watching him assemble his Nitro Motors. Gaining this kind of experience is priceless.

Heads are ready to assemble, crank is done, rods are ready and got all the bearings.

LETS ROLL POP ! ROGER

Attached Files:

10. riceman

riceman

The final assembly has started.

Attached Files:

11. riceman

riceman

Well it isn't done yet. We are waiting on the Total Seal Rings and the long block can be assembled.
    Polishing and more small stuff being done. Eddie Buck reproduced the decals. The 10 x 13'' ribbon parachute pack was made by DJ Safety, Inc. out of heavy canvas material like it was on the M & R Special.
    It will be done for the 2012 CHRR !

Attached Files:

12. riceman

riceman

The plan is to bring both Jim Brissette & M & R Special to the CHRR this year. Jim and Bob Brissette are Honorees so Jim's Woody Fueler has to be there.
    I can't drive both in the Cacklefest. Donn Blount who set Top Speed of the Meet at the 1964 Bakersfield Smoker's Meet at 195.64 mph will return to the seat of the Masters & Richter Special for the Cacklefest. TOO COOL !

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Damn Roger, wish we could be there. I know you hate dirt, but Rocky puts on a fun meet at Eagle Field, you should bring it and make a pass.:D

14. I can't wait to see this one in person at Bakersfield!! One of my all-time favorite cars!

15. riceman

riceman

Getting closer to firing the motor for the first time. I had some assembly issues, but nothing that couldn't be fixed while putting everything back into the chassis.

Attached Files:

16. carshopowner

carshopowner

So are the chairs for sitting in and looking at your master piece?
    [​IMG]

I know I would.

17. robber

robber

I can't say anything that hasn't been said, riceman... she is absolutely beautiful. Kent Fuller is one of my heros and you have done him extreme justice! This is my all time favorite build thread on the HAMB and I am so grateful that you shared the whole process with us! A heart felt "thank you, riceman!" ...robber

18. afaulk

afaulk

I'm thinking that the first time the term "Bitchin" was uttered, was when the first car like this saw the light of day for the first time. Just my opinion.

19. 296ardun

296ardun

Wish I could hear it fire and see this recreation -- I clearly remember the original, M&R brought it to SoCal a number of times...I've said it before on this thread, but it bears saying again...THANK YOU FOR RECREATING THE MEMORIES! The incredible craftsmanship is really appreciated by so many of us..

20. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Even though I've never seen the original car, watching the construction here has been a real exciting inspiration and learning process for me. Simply spectacular! Tom S.

21. riceman

riceman

Issues with the fuel system has been worked out thanks to alot of veteran Top Fuel Racers. Tom Jobe, John Dearmore, Dave Benjinman to name afew. So we are heading to the CHRR ready to GO !

Attached Files:

22. riceman

riceman

Masters & Richter at the CHRR last weekend.

Attached Files:

23. Winmon

Winmon

Way too cool!

24. I cannot imagine the satisfaction you must have felt seeing all your beautiful work sitting on the track breathing fire! Job well done Roger.

25. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I remember this car running at the old Irwindale track. good looking restoration .

26. riceman

riceman

It is a replica. Thanks

27. riceman

riceman

Here is somemore pictures from the CHRR

Attached Files:

28. riceman

riceman

29. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Outstanding work Riceman! Now it's one of my favorites:)!

Taildragger&fenderless

30. afaulk

afaulk

Dude this is as cool as snow!