Register now to get rid of these ads!

Defroster "Broken" on 1961 Ford Falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Falconewbie, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

So the title is slightly misleading: it's a little too simple to say it's broken, but there's really not enough room in there to say what is wrong. I'm almost positive that the defroster has been ripped out of my car, however last time I thought something had been ripped out (my fuse box), I turned out to be wrong.

I've made a very short blog post about it with a few pics. Any advice would be appreciated - I'm not sure where to get the replacement parts or if I'm just seriously missing something.

2. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Hey Falcon newbie; Ya gotta start somewhere. At least your 61 is an easy one to start learning on. It looks like most of the heat/defrost is missing. If there are any old car yards in your area try looking thru any old Ford and maybe something will swap over. Falcons, Fairlanes, Mavericks etc. And, duct tape is your friend.

3. nathan289

nathan289
    from spokane,wa

Start by picking up a shop manual if you can..

Behind the glove box is the heater box. Inside it is the heater core, blower motor, and blend doors.

Attached the left side of the heater sits on the transmission tunnel is the defroster box its usually made out of cardboard. New ones are plastic. Theres acable attached to it that runs to a dash knob. There are also two 2.5" black plastic hoses that run up to the bottom od the dash next to the speaker grill.

If any of the defrosterparts are missing they are available new from falcon vendors.. such as falcon parts, mac's, dearborn classics.. etc..

Best of luck,
    Nathan

4. nathan289

nathan289
    from spokane,wa

Try going down to dallas mustangs and get the parts for a mustang.. the defroster parts for a 65/66 mustang are pretty close..

Just read your blog.. you have the manual... in the picture of the manual you posted.. the parts your missing are shown attached to the left of the heater box..

The defrost register is attached by four 5/16x3/8" sheet metal screws.. the cable attaches to the box..

Two tubes/hoses run to the dash.. if you need photos i can take some of my falcon

Nathan

5. Here's da' plastic replacement for the original cardboard unit in my '63.

[​IMG]

Check the cable operation- the clamp is usually loose an' that lets the cable case slide 'round, renderin' the defrost door usless...

6. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm having trouble finding anything online, so I guess I'll have to head to the junkyards this weekend. Does anyone know exactly what that defroster part is called so I know what to ask for?

7. nathan289

nathan289
    from spokane,wa

8. Search:

C5ZZ-18471 Heater Plenum

Mustang's use the 'zact same part...

Try Virginia Classic Mustang- they beat most Falcon vedors prices...

9. Gator

Gator

Skip it and order one of the plastic replacements... As stated above the originals were thin cardboard, if they ever got wet once they were ruined...IF you can find now one it's gonna be FIFTY year old cardboard.

One plus for you Falcon guys is a lot of early Mustang parts are interchangeable, and there's a TON of parts suppliers. Ya just gotta figure out what works. :)

10. scrubba

scrubba

If yer determined to go to salvage yards in Dallas , Your Ford on East Jefferson and Apachie Auto Wrecking out on 287 come to mind . scrubba