Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trade vs For Sale.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Oct 30, 2012.

1. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Trade worked for me. Both parties were happy.

2. t-buckethead

t-buckethead
    from texas

worked for me i guess,made the wife happy,there are a lot of tudor sedans but not a whole lot of buicks,when i built the A she wanted a roadster,went thru a lot of offers and this was the last one.trades got to work for both people and yes i miss my A but life goes on...

Attached Files:

3. I wish guys would offer me the late model Harley trade.

Instead I get offered an Indian. Okay, that sounds good (wondering what the catch is)....

The catch is it's a 1974-ish ME100 that wasn't running. Which is a rebadged import of some kind with a 2-stroke motor... and barely worth it's weight in scrap in good shape. I'd rather have a rusty bare frame from an early one, or a motor fished out of a farm dump that's been exposed to the weather for 80 years.

I'd have no problem even trading 2 or 3 cars off for one better one, but I never run into those deals. A buddy has done that stuff before though, so I know it happens.

4. i listed my shoebox on here for my price best offer or trades ive been offered afew trades all cars/trucks but they werent exactly what id like to own

then the other day a fellow hamber emailed me about a car he wants to sell a 61 starliner (ive posted on here several times of my love for a 61 starliner) this time the 61 is close to my pricerange but it would come alot easier with the shoebox gone

i originally bought my shoebox to fix quick and then flip to fix my 57 ford so allthough ive updated the 50 alittle along the way i really have had no intrest in it

so id really like it to move the 50 wether it be cash /trade or partial trade i dont have it listed anywhere but here and on 57fordsforever i have been playing with the idea of ebay

5. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Sweet Buick, what does it have under the hood?

6. Horse trading worked well my 30' couple Ford Project towards a 56' Merc... Look for the Merc. To arrive as we speak. I think both side of the table are happy.. It isn't easy the horse trade takes work and LUCK. But I enjoy the hunt .....

7. Dauphinee

Dauphinee
    from New York

I just did a trade this weekend. Drove from Buffalo area in NY to Greenbay area in WI.
    Traded a 36 Pontiac for a 49 ford truck. I was looking for a truck and thought what the heck it doesn't hurt to ask. I was trying to get rid of my car and he was trying to move the truck. If I was willing to come get it the trade was done. I was willing now there is a truck sitting in my garage.

You get tons of lemons when you ask money or trade but sometime you also have to ask when someone else is willing to trade. They might be holding onto it for long enough and it's time to move it. They might see what you have for trade and remember that they knew someone that was looking for something like that. So if they trade for yours then they can trade what you have to someone else for what they are looking for.

So ask for trades and don't be afraid to ask yourself. Worst they can say is no.

8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

While the HAMB classifieds are OK, my best deals have been made using Hemming's print and internet ads. Last trade resulted not only in getting a great car, but a nice pile of cash to boot.

9. ac0j

ac0j

I love to trade. Mainly for CASH that I can spend on exactly what I want. But sometimes I will trade for something I was not expecting and be more than satisfied.

I have been shopping for a project car, or a decent driver for the last few months.
    I check my local Craigslist, and the classies here every night. I have been accused of being a tire kicker. But what do they expect?. They take ONE picture of the "good side" of the car, put it on the ad with a long list of whats been "done" and ask top dollar for it. THEN when I go to see the car in person (cash in my pocket) and find out the car is less than 1/2 what was described, and see what they failed to report in the ad, of course I'll pass. "Tire kicker"? call it what you will, but if it is a good deal, the first money would buy it. Its a tough life selling cars AND buying them!
    In the end, as stated MANY times in this thread, the best deal is when both parties are satisfied.

10. dclickster

dclickster

My experience has been that when you advertise a car for sale, you don't have to mention the word trade. You will be inundated with offers you don't want.

11. I have hauled vehicles found on CL this year
    I have transported ebay finds too

It is a Buyers Market this year - cash is king

' FSBO or Trade ' is good to put in your ad title

Jim

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One advantage to a trade vs cash, the Mrs can't spend another car:D

13. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

I consider myself a horse trader of sorts i have made 5 trades in the last 10 years and feel i got the better end of the deal each time you just have to be patient and advertise on as many sites as you can

14. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

I'm up for a trade, but it has to be something more valuable be it to me or the next guy. It's always amusing and ridiculous seeing some of the trade offers. I had a decent overall driver Olds not too long ago and someone offered a need everything busted up Plymouth with slashed tires. They were shocked when asked how much cash they would put with the offer.

15. Paul B

Paul B

I had a guy with a 57 chevy interested in my sedan. said he would buy it if he sold his car,asked if i be interested in a trade. thinking there be a bigger market fo the 57 i said okay. he than says how much you going to give me +the sedan. i said you want my car not me wanting your car. told him straight up or no deal later i checked his car out better told him i pass

16. t-buckethead

t-buckethead
    from texas

an ugly 90 chevy 350 with serp. belt, needs a nailhead if i can find one...

17. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

My uncle is selling his '62 Wildcat, but he probably wants more for it than you'd want to spend for a motor.

18. I posted my 41 Cadillac Sedanette on Craigs List awhile back. For sale or trade, and I was very explicit on my bottom line for cash, and what I would consider trading for.

I'm pretty sure all anyone read was ... For Sale or Trade ... and didn't read the rest of the ad. I had some very bizarre trade offers and some ridiculous cash offers.

The Caddy is still sitting in the barn =)

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

My experience with trade offers is they want to trade some POS they can't sell.

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll trade a 41 packard 160 buisness cpe (one of 2 currently known) for a 39 or 40 Ford cpe of equal value. Parted out, my car's worth close to $18K in real dollars, not dreamer's pricing. Somewhere not too far south of that number, I'd look at the right candidate for an equal trade.

21. Gator

Gator

I trade quite often, sometimes you can get a better deal. I traded a '55 Buick for a chopped shoebox, then traded that for a '33 Plymouth coupe. Both deals were with Hambers, both times it was their idea, and both times I feel like I got the better end of the deal ($$$ wise)

Most importantly though, both times I feel like everyone was happy.

I recently traded my '55 Caddy for a nicer '55 Chevy. I figure mine was worth a little more, BUT I got a ton of new parts with the deal.

Doesn't matter, people will still ask. I recently posted a for sale / trade ad with "NO FOUR DOORS" in it, all in caps. Got more than one request to trade for exactly that.

One guy even argued with me when I reminded him my ad specifically said NO four doors. He said;

"Yeah, but mine's really nice!" :rolleyes:

22. id like it wanna trade for a shoebox project? :D:D;)

23. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Not interested in the 350 but I got lots of nailhead parts. Enough to build a motor or two. All 401 stuff. I have 4 SP400 tranny's too. Where in Texas are you?

24. all i can tell you is its suppose to i know it turns over easy by hand and has all new 12 volt wiring/alt

25. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I dont trade.Cash only.
    Even if a trade is a option and I want what the guy has it's 2 separate deals.
    First we negotiate the sale of my stuff then the buying of the other persons stuff.
    That goes for everybody,even friends.

26. Lots of opinions. Thanks, fellas. I think I'm going to approach this in a person to person manner. No ad, just word of mouth. I know this radically shrinks my chances of a quick deal, but dealing with the public on such a personal thing as a car one has owned for a long time, seems like more hassle than it's worth. Plus, I'd really like to see this car go to someone who will do it properly. We are, after all, only caretakers of these cars. It's somewhat like finding a home for a beloved dog, that you can't keep. You don't want to see it abused.

I appreciate the input. It was helpful.

CP