Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Story of One Man's Roadster...or "What I did on My Summer Vacation."

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Oct 29, 2012.

1. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You nailed it, thanks for the treat !

2. Uncle Jess

Uncle Jess
    from Western Ny

Very nice my friend, you do good work. Your pictoral and story telling is great. The most impressive thing to me is that your Mom and Dad came 1000 miles to get you! Wow thats awesome! You are a very fortunate person. I have been in that exact situation, luckily I have some amazing Amigos because my folks wouldnt be capable. Your good people dude. Congrats, its still a successful trip.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Truly outstanding car and a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

OOOOf! Bucket of not good there! Great story, and great writeup. Nice job on the roadster, sorry you had so much trouble.

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EPIC! like a good novel, hooked!!!

6. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

"Chapter 4" is up now. Thanks guys!

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well, ya got me beat...I didn't even get 100 miles on the rebuilt Caddy 500" engine in my '55 Cadillac on the way to Salina, Kansas, from Denver, when three rod bearings decided they didn't like it...it's a real pain to abruptly have to cancel a road trip you've looked forward to.

Fortunately, a good friend came out and picked up my Caddy and took it home and I went on to Salina in my brother's Caddy.

Glad to hear the roadster is back on the streets...it took me months to pull the painted front clip on the Caddy, have the engine rebuit and replace it and everything else...what a pain, but there's always a price to pay for being "cool"...!!!

If you want to read the complete 5 1/2 year build of my '55 Caddy, go here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

R-

8. Great write up! Roadsters are the best, arn't they :D

Wheres that video you had just screamin through gears on a two lane road in the trees on your way to Bonneville? That one was my favorite :D

9. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

This one?

<object><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="movie" value="https://www.facebook.com/v/3771251634744"></param><embed src="https://www.facebook.com/v/3771251634744" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="1"></embed></object>

Now that I figured out how to embed it, I think I need to add that to the story.

10. That one's blocked Brian...

11. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Oh, well shit. I'll see if George can e-mail it to me.

12. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Wow that roadster makes mine look like a turd now lol. Great Job with that one!!!

13. Man thats so freaking beautiful...wow. Badass job man. My hat is off to you!

14. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Nice job, enjoyed the story. Thanks for sharing.

15. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Wow, nice roadster! You are a true craftsman Mr. Bass and your attention to detail is first class. The color selection is awesome. Not only can you build one hell of a roadster but your a damn good author as well! Thanks for sharing.

16. Great story. I hate to see the ol Bass-O-Matic 49 sitting, but understand your infatuation with a roadster.

17. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

18. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Ok, here's a video of driving the roadster through Cimarron Canyon. It's not the same one I attempted to post earlier, but it's similar.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V62sSehjOuc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a little shaky and the sound isn't great, but it gives an idea of what it was like.

19. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Great video!!! Great story and the roadster is 2nd to none!!

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I've been having an issue with my Generator smoking a little bit. I have had it back to the rebuilder and they said it looks fine. Then I reinstalled it and it smoked a little again on Saturday. If it wasn't smoking it got really hot. Then on the way home, it was cool and no smoke. I don't know what the hell to make of it.

I also have a little oil leaking from the engine which I can't seem to stop.

Car sounds killer.

21. wayne-o

wayne-o

I have made the drive through Cimmarron canyon many times both summer and winter. Absolutely a beautiful drive. Maybe one day I can drive the roadster through there.

22. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

Hey Brian! love the car thanks for taking time to do this thread very well done...are u running straight pipes?What your thoughts on that 280h isky cam trying myself to pick a good cam for my sbc looking for a cam that runs good and sounds good;) Thanks Randy

23. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

Very, very nice ride! Incredible attention to detail and my personal favorite, "period correct."
    And if that ain't enough, you drive the wheels off!

24. What a good read!
    Bass, you always seem to have the best road trips. Even when things aren't going your way.
    Thanks for taking the time to share this one with us.

25. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Love the car and the story.
    Taking the bad with the good is part of it,
    a tough part!
    Not to be devil's advocate,
    but maybe not getting to the salt was good for the roadster,
    you would have wanted to totally dismantle it to get it clean!
    Especially with all that chrome!
    Anyway,
    glad your still having fun hot rodding.
    TP

26. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Awesome video!! I love them roadsters!

27. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I bought the little scoops at the LA Roadsters swap meet a few years ago. The guy I bought them from told me what their original application was.

Tell ya what...the first person who can post correctly identifying the scoops with photographic evidence will win a Bass Kustom T-shirt in their size.

Speaking of that, I have the Weesner designed T-shirts for sale on my website. If anyone reading this wants to support a small business, go buy one! :)

http://www.basskustom.com/merch.htm

28. eddie1

eddie1

Great story. I enjoyed the read, thanks for posting. The car looks awesome, but we knew it would be based on the work you did on the chopped coupe.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  29. Great story Brian! Sorry I missed you on the Salt. And double sorry about the roadster.

30. Mart

Mart

Brian Bass = Absolute Class.

Thanks for the great story including the glitches and roadside fixes.

I love threads like this.

Mart.