Register now to get rid of these ads!

Digital Paint Booth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pprather, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Has anyone tried the House of Kolors - Digital Paint Booth to help in selecting colors and a paint sceme for their ride?

I am interested in trying it, but it's $50 to get in the game. A small investment if it helps the finished product look outstanding.

Any help?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

send me a photo of your car and a paint chip and I will tell you if it will look good for only $20.00.

3. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I'll do it for $21.00.

Here's the problem- colours will vary depending on your monitor's calibration - so you still won't get an entirely accurate 'picture'. It's nice if you're trying to choose a paint scheme, but you could do it for cheap with a photo, some tracing paper and pencil crayons.

4. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

You'll be better off with a decent pic of your car and spending a few minutes playing with GIMP.

http://www.gimp.org/

5. Thanks,

I'll give GIMP a try.

6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

7. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

There's a new digital paint booth coming out that has far more features then the current version and it's pretty cool for people like me with no computer graphic skills. The new version is a 3D program with unlimited view angles, wheel changing capabilities, different backgrounds and lighting, stance changing and way way more. I don't want to sound like a commercial, so I'll let some pictures do the talking. I've been helping test the new program and work out the bugs before its released to the public.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what I learned when I bought it a couple years back. I was not impressed with the program.......even for free.

9. shop teacher

shop teacher

We have it in our auto shop computer lab at Bloomington Kennedy High School. I cant wait for the new version , and thats what I would recommend or use Photo Shop If you are at the Mall of America- stop in & you can use it for free. Good Luck, Bill

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Clue me in guys! This is on House of colors web sight, or a program I buy, or as a gimp a guy dressed in leather with a "safe word" pinned to his lapel? My neighbor down the street has asked me damn near everyday what color to paint his stocker original '30 coupe, and is driving me nuts. How do I point him on this one?

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

12. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

You can buy it here: http://www.hokdigitalpaintbooth.com/

DO NOT buy it yet though! The photos I posted are of a new version, not released yet, should be about another couple of months. The new version is what has the 3D built in, the wheels, trim changes, handles, locks, etc. The old version is ok, but limited to a single view and not much options to make the car closer to your actual car.

13. 91bluecamaro

91bluecamaro

14. 91bluecamaro

91bluecamaro

15. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought the full version several years ago at a HOC show booth and find it a useful tool for ideas on colors and color scheme layouts. That is assuming a car similar to what you are working on is in the database. As stated the colors are not all that accurate but it is sure helpful to get the basic design on print. Attached are a few quick and dirty layouts that were made to help a customer determine where he wanted to break the tan/white color line on his 62 Nova (64 was the closest). You can get a lot more elaborate - again this was quick and dirty.
    You can also buy downloads on their website, they also have a decent demo so you can check it out. The jury is out on whether I get the new 3D version when it comes out. There better be a lot more cars available than the current database and more realistic coloring.

Attached Files:

16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Trying to figger out what your ride will look like from a picture off the internet is like tryin to catch a fart with a pitch fork inna hurricane:D
    Go to some real shows, and look at the colours you really like in natural sunlight. Even a paint chip isn't gonna give you a true value of the colour over a 1.1 scale.:eek:

Ya mean to tell me people would actually pay good money for a computer picture of their car:eek::eek::eek:?

" Life ain't no Disney movie "

17. toad32

toad32

Hey guys, Robbie let me know about this thread and I thought I would drop in and show a few of the renderings out of the new software. The New Digital Paint Booth version 4 will be out soon and is a complete 2 year rewrite from the previous versions. Then new version will be all 3D and offer so much more control of not only colors but options like stance and wheels and such. It will be much more "Build A Car" kind of software. Here are few pics from the beta version. Notice that when the environment changes so does all of the reflections and shadows. I also have a few youtube videos you can fine here.

http://youtu.be/7VCfuxaVjkg

So if you guys have any questions, ask away! I hope that this version will correct some of the complaints and such from the last version.

Carter

Attached Files:

18. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Toad, are all the cars in the program preselected? I mean is there a menu of a certain number of cars? Is there a way to enter an individual's own car with a walk around video? I would think that's not possible currently.

19. toad32

toad32

Yes, It is database driven, so it is cars that we have 3d models of already built. I think at the initial release there will be around 200 cars trucks and bikes and then we will be adding more weekly or monthly. At this point I am not sure of the exact cars that will be in the initial release.

Carter

20. toad32

toad32

21. RodStRace

RodStRace

Toad, how quick can someone who does not have a graphics design background and would rather be out in the shop be able to select a car, swap the wheels and make a few color changes?
    If this requires a learning curve like Photoshop or other "powerful" tool, I'd rather learn a standard program. Actually, it's more like I'd continue to wait for the simpleton version.

22. toad32

toad32

RodStRace, man I do no know how to make it any simpler. Want to lower it... just go to the suspension panel and slide some buttons. Want to turn the fenders off... just go to the options panel and hit the off button. I will make some screen shots of the interface.

Carter

23. toad32

toad32

Ok here are a few interface shots so you can see how easy it is to use. It is aimed at the non graphical guy. It will come with lots of prebuilt graphic shapes and textures and you will be able to draw you own as well.

Carter

Attached Files:

24. Toad is this going to have the 49-51 mercury's in it too?

25. toad32

toad32

yes it will! It will have all kinds of cool options on it as well.

Carter

26. cool I want one then. I have the older version but not enough options on it, and don't look right.

27. toad32

toad32

yes that is why I have spent the last 2 years busting my ass on this next version. We can actually do kandies, pearls, metallics and flats and they look like they are supposed to look. The limetime green has the yellow in the highlights like is should and those highlights move around as the light source moves.

28. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

I'm not good graphically on a computer at all and I've been able to work my way around the test versions very easily. The program is just as easy as using the online wheel viewing programs. I've been able to use flames, do 2 and 3 tones, and play with the numerous options on the vehicles as well.

29. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

I just got this program, this thing is super cool! I wish I could afford the whole program but I just bought one car model. Not too bad for 90 bucks, much better than painting it and not liking the colors.
    Here's a couple trucks I made. I'm trying to use the pinstriping tool to outline the scallops but it's really hard to get the lines straight because it doesn't zoom in far enough. Other than that I really like the program. I do wish you could you remove the mirrors, these are huge! lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

This program is extremely easy to use. There's a few things I couldn't figure out but thier website has howto video's that cover everything. I bought this program at 930 at night and made both my trucks in less than 30 mins and I had never used this before. It's really easy and I highly recommend it.