Register now to get rid of these ads!

OFFY or Fenton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CrcooperPhotography, Oct 19, 2012.

1. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

evening HAMBERS.

i have just bought myself a sweet little 53 chef with the stock 235ci

i am a complete novice to all this, so please bare with me.

i am wanting to hop-up the engine a little(headers, intake, cam etc) nothing to serious.

i am going to run FENTON headers, but still unsure of an intake.

will an OFFY dual intake clear the FENTON header pipes?

all opinions and thoughts greatly appreciated

cheers, Chris

2. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Yes they will.....

3. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Hey Chris, I've seen a pic of it on Instagram... A real peach!

Dual Fenton headers and a 2 carb intake is a great a idea... You'll notice a big imporovment and it'll sound great with a cool growl!

From there I'd say a finned valved cover and perhaps a sideplate for some eye candy.

Other than that, the headers and the intake should get you rolling with no worries... Those Stovebolts are good mills.

And anyone that says they don't say good is nuts... Proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aWpEoM5Prg&playnext=1&list=PL442A516154AE3AF9&feature=results_main

Keep us posted.

HC.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  4. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

Alex!

I had to bail on the dual carb intake due to finances. However, a brand new OFFY valve cover, finned breather plug, Fenton headers, and a finned coil cover should make the engine bay a little nicer! oh and a frog mouth scoop for the carboy.

the plan when money allows with be an OFFY dual carb intake, and i'm still unsure about carnies. i initially wanted a pair of 97s but alot of people have said theyre just to powerful for only a six. maybe a pair of 94s?

i'm really excited to fit the headers and see what difference that'll make. Some good mates are gonna fab up the exhuast at the same time swell.

by the way. thanks so much for the reply! really appreciate it! and the photos...that second engine bay is killer!

5. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

No sweat mate!

Make sure you run the smallest glasspacks you can get ahold of haha you want that Stovebolt to growl its ass off!

Those purchases sound great mate! First chance you get grab a dual carb manifold - you will not regret it! 2 x 97's would probably be just nice on a 235 man considering most guys running a stock 239ci Flatty run 2 x 97's.

First things first though... Stance. Stance IS everything. Post up a couple pics of the car dude so we can suss out some ideas to get that thing looking right on! Not that it doesn't already... Chat soon!

HC.
    Alex.

6. stingbean

stingbean

Are the adapters that turn the carbs 90 degrees on the dual manifold in the second picture commercially available or something that was custom machined for this application?

7. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

glass packs?? have never heard of what ever that is haha. sorry dude. like i said, novice!

i want the dual intake asap haha. And almost bought the OFFY intake, but its something thats gonna take a little bit of money. Soon though!!!

thats a fair point. basically the same size motor. someone was mentioning jetting down the carbs?? so if i did get two x 97s thats probably what id have to do?

ps, heres my preciousness!!
    [​IMG]

8. 'Mo

'Mo

I've said it before and I'll say it here...That Chevy is sweet!

Glass packs are mufflers with a perforated pipe running straight through a body chamber stuffed with fiberglass (such as Smithys). Steel packs are similar, but the chamber is filled with steel wool (such as Porters).

Stock mufflers are not straight through. The body is chambered and baffled, and may have a couple of 180 degree reversals in direction. (Very restrictive). California Bill's dyno tests in the early 50's showed a 22 HP loss at 4500 RPM with the stock Chevy muffler. :eek:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  9. 'Mo

'Mo

Stick with one barrels carbs. Just find one to match the one already on the car, and use with a manifold for a 235. (2 15/16" stud spacing.) Stock jetting will be fine. You will only need a choke on one carb.

Many feel that the smaller 216 carbs are better suited, but they have a different stud spacing. So there would be manifold suitability concerns, as well as the additional carb cost
    considerations.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  10. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

awesome information!!! had no idea MO so thank you!! are the glasspacks expensive? this is a MUST hve item!!!

22hp loss using stock mufflers, thats crazy!

11. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

hmmmmmmmmm this is what i was kinda thinking. its just not as easy as bolting some sweet sweet goodies onto the engine. lot more to take into account and lot more money than what i had budgeted for!

i figured at first, dual intake with two standard rochy?? carbs.

12. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

[​IMG]

my baby being loaded up in IL

13. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

She's an absolute gem mate!

Swapping the dual intake and carbs onto the 235 shouldn't be too complicated. You have some knowledgable and experienced mates who I'm sure are willing to help wrench on the Chev and get that intake on. Plus, it's probably just the right thing to cut your teeth on, hands-on wise.

Glasspacks are a good idea and you can find them reasonably cheap. Check out eBay. They have a cool sound to them too.

You'll realize that the car will go fine with the headers and there's no rush for the intake. Get the car running right and reliable, then the intake can be sorted.

And yep, two 1 barrel stock carbs will do just fine. The Stovebolt dudes love them. Cool factor = 10. For me anyway.

You're almost there dude, keep us posted!

HC.

14. 'Mo

'Mo

Cheap as tin cans! LOL!
    Will you be having custom pipes installed?
    Your muffler shop should be able to supply glass packs. There are many brands available.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  15. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

it sounds simple enough, with alot of guidance, setting up the linkages and tuning it is whats daunting!!

yep, spot, thats what i realised when i went "shopping" for goodies. I wanted heaps of little sweet shit, and a few guys pulled me up and said, get it running realiable, then go to town on her dude, no rush!

headers, new exhaust and glasspack muffler should make it sound fairly decent straight up!

16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Real Sweet looking ride and the color looks cool.

Jimbo

17. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

that cheap? haha brillaint. i'll get hunting today(office job duties=sneaky web shopping haha)

when we put the headers on, we're going to build the exhaust to suit. I want to drop the exhaust over the diff, but then i am really partial to fishtail tips! haha so i'm not sure yet

18. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

thanks dude!!

19. Wow nice Bel Air,..good luck with the mod's and the arrival of your new toy!

20. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

thanks mate!! the anxious wait iskilling me!

21. I bet,...I remember it erm "not" so fondly! Ahh the joys of Aus customs