Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy II 153 four cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junior 1957, Oct 21, 2012.

1. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

Here is a Chevy II that was in the local paper just today, in a midget.

[​IMG]

2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You guys ever face each other? Set ups look very similar.

3. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

Anyone on here have any experience with the Ansen Engineering cross flow head? I just bought one on the web. I am going to put it on my 181 I have. It will be going on the coupe. Any ideas on carbs for this setup?

Drew

4. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

Here is a few pictures of the head and engine.

Drew

Attached Files:

Six Ball likes this.
  5. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

They were called the Offy Killer.It was an economical solution to the dominant OFFY 110.It will probably run well at higher RPMs.There was a guy in Seattle who ran one in a street roadster.It had twin Weber DCOE 45s and a 4 speed trans.I asked him how it did on the street.He said he'd been driving it for 25 years.

More than likely there are modern V-8 heads that will outflow that one.The Fontana head will probably out do the Ansen as well.

The thing that you have to learn is that learn is that you will not have much power at the lower end.

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is really a good find. Yes, there may be more modern heads that will out perform it but that is always the case in hot rodding. Duel Weber DCOEs would be my choice for that head. They are so versatile. Also find a cam grinder who will talk to you about your parts combination and what you need the engine to do. Be honest about what the engine will do the most of. Flat out at Bonneville is not the same as a fun Sunday cruse through the Hill Country. On a 181 you'll have a really cool ride. I've never seen one of those in person.

7. junior 1957

junior 1957

8. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

This is the first one I have ever seen up close. There was a fontana head on eBay last year but it was big bucks so I couldn't afford it. I just got the Ansen in the mail Saturday so i haven't had a lot of time to study it yet. I am going to look for a set of webers for it. I am also thinking about building a four barrel intake for it. I have a 500 cfm holly two barrel on my 153 right now and it works pretty good. It also gets 19 mpg. The little 153 runs out good but I think I have it over geared. I have a 39 Ford three speed behind it and the stock model a rear. I am thinking about going to a five speed. It would probably run better because this little motor starts pulling hard at about 2800 rpm. Are there any old Ford three speeds with a close ratio out there?

Drew

9. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

I don't think those would flow very well. This is one that I built for my 153.

Drew

Attached Files:

10. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Getting ready to drop my 153 down in the Bastard Roadster project....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yes, it looks a bit rough but you know we'd be more forgiving if it was aluminum. It seems that there are a lot more of these engines than there are manifolds, I guess because so many of them come from boats. For some reason I think the balance tube should be between the carbs and ports and not out front. But I bet it would work. The runners would handle all the ports could. It needs heat though.

I like the roadster. Mine will be in my '26 Chevy roadster. This is a good thread. Thanks guys.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  12. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

"The rear wheel drive 151s (Iron Duke) pans will fit."
    Only the pans used on Monzas and clones from 1975 thru half of 1979 will work.
    S10 and Camaro blocks have a different oil pan flange pattern.
    I have a 71 postal 153 which is rear sump and uses the same flange as the 62-72 chevyII.

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I think Six Ball was referring to the 181 Merc motors when he posted that info about the 151 oil pans fitting...I could be wrong.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

The 181 I have in the picture has a rear sump. It is a 3.0 ltr. Volvo penta. I think it will fit the 153 also. The gasket looks the same.

Drew

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Nope I guess I was just wrong. I was assuming and you know that deal. I think the change must happen with the use of 1 piece rear seals. They use the same timing cover. Except for the U code 151s they all use the same mains and all of the cranks can swap with the ones that use the same rear seal. My 153 has a 181 crank. I think the 151 pans could be easily adapted with a bit of cutting and welding on the rear seal area. Sorry to mislead you. I'll pick up a 151 pan and check.

16. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Some 153 Ansen images.The head with intake and exhaust flanges used to belong to Charlie here on the HAMB.

The engine with Webers belongs to another HAMBer whose name I have forgotten.

The block on the table is an EVM engine being assembled in the 1960s.Notice the back of the block trimmed,the mag mounting,the front of the engine as well.I used to have an image of an EVM 8 port head for the engine.If I find it ,I'll post it. EVM was bought out by Ron's fuel injection.I have called to see if anything at all is left for these eninges.NO. Now the source of these pictures was the son of one of the owners of EVM .He posted to the HAMB looking for information regarding a 6 cylinder OFFY clone engine EVM have put together!

Attached Files:

17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

EVM 6 cylinder,evidently named Wilson.

Attached Files:

18. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

Banjeaux bob, thanks for sharing the pictures. You are right about the modern v-8 heads they have larger intake and exhaust runners then the Ansen. They would probably flow a lot more. I would go with the v-8 head conversion but i would have to run some type of front mounted distributor, mag or a total loss ignition.

Drew

19. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Drew,ultimately the Ansen will have more nostalgia for people in the know.The little motor has it's limitations,even when built up.

Bob

20. The Weber equipped engine in banjeaux bob's post above is the +.060" 153 in my track roadster pickup. It started out as a Clifford intake manifold which I sliced and diced to fit and added a balance tube.

Charlie

Tman likes this.
  21. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Charlie! That's what I 've been trying to figure out.I have one of the 6 cyclinder manifolds and have been wondering which bank to trim off.Then what about the stands for the throttle linkage.

like Charlie Chops says....the Weber equipt engine is Charlie Chops ;}

22. pg409

pg409

I would suggest, if you can, having the block magnafluxed as they were prone to cracking in the lifter bores. I know from experience........

The Mercruiser block is more substancial........:)

23. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

Charlie,

If you don't mind me asking how well does it perform? What trans and rear gear are you running?

Drew

24. Bob- I don't know which runner to slice off; mine was a 4 cyl intake to start with. I whacked the throttle linkage towers off and bought a spring loaded Weber specific throttle linkage assembly that mounts to the front carb and operates via a cable from the foot feed. P/N LP1000 from r.d. enterprises, ltd in Quakertown, PA They have a website under that name I believe. It was a little pricey but works extremely well.

Drew - I'm running a T50 5 speed from a Vega/Monza and an S10 rear with 3.73 gears.
    The Webers work okay but I've never been able to get them perfectly tuned and tip in has been a problem - the transition from the idle circuit to the main circuit.. I'm doing a single Clifford 4 barrel intake with a hopped up Holley 350 2 barrel adaptation to see if that will improve things.

I haven't driven the car much in the last year as my back is in bad shape and doesn't like the driving position as much as it used to. I'm 6'3" tall and though I worked hard at getting every bit of room possible in the T it is still very tight.

The car was featured in Street Rodder Sept 2009 if you want to see some nice pictures.

Charlie

25. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Thank you Charlie!

Banjeaux Bob

26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This is posted on Inliners. I lifted the whole thing because it has the contact number.

Duggan Deppe Aluminum Chevrolet 4 cylinder racing head package. The head casting has been partially machined. The Duggan valve cover, the fuel injection manifold, and the front timing cover are raw castings. Give me a call at 253-307-5255 if you are interested. Price is $1500

28. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just be sure the Mercruiser blocks didn't suffer hard water damage.

29. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Charlie Chops,that linkage may be spendy.Having it mount to the top of the carb eliminates linkage alignment problems and a lot of moving parts!

Bob

30. Yes, that's what I figured. I only had to fabricate one part and that was the adjustable tie bar between the two carbs.

I bought my Weber stuff in late 2001...I tried to get the Clifford linkage kit but it must have been made out of unobtainium, and then a year or so later direct contact with Clifford became almost impossible, so I moved forward on my own. I just happened to find that linkage while searching for Weber tuning information.

Jack Clifford was a customer of mine when I sold camshaft cores back in the early 80's. Jack was a nice guy, enthusiastic, and really loved his business. After he passed away things just sort of faded away. It's just the way it is sometimes. When I partnered on a Chevy 6 gasser in the 60's and then a GMC 6 in the early 70's Jack Clifford was one of the go-to guys for 6 cyl. stuff, along with Jessel and many others. When three side draft Weber carbs became popular on 6 cyl. gassers in '71 or so a lot of us became very obsolete almost overnight. LOL.

Charlie