Register now to get rid of these ads!

In over my head...regret setting in...any advice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Xtent, Oct 25, 2012.

1. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Dayum! That's a great start. There's a lot so info here, and guys that can lead you in the right direction when it comes to parts. Safety first, performance second, looks third.

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, KEEP IT! And BUY TOOLS. Man, I was under the impression it was cobbled together as well. I looks really nice.

And the idea that by keeping you are choosing a car over your daughter is asinine. I've put a couple of cars together and kept them running as my daughter has grown.

3. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I also don't understand all of the people that say to sell the car.

We raised our kids around old cars and car events. Our family vacations were to car related events. Now they all have interest in cars. Some of it must have rubbed off. ;)

You have a nice car and just have some bugs to work out. Focus on one at a time and you will have a reliable cruiser in no time. I also would not do the bag thing and would not chop it for a while. Drive it with your family and have fun.

Neal

4. mob53

mob53

That is a great start! Nice ride man. Your daughter should come first....hands down. But, there's no reason you can't do both. With a new baby, the first year you won't be going too many places. The wife probably won't be to excited about you taking off to some other guy's house to drink beers and work on cars. Help out the wife at home and take this opportunity to do research and learn all you can. There'll be times when you need a break from the baby and the garage will be your sanctuary. Also, if you don't have a lot of tools, borrow what you can and find out where your local Harbor Frieght is. I've been in the exact same boat, except my car was in much worse condition.
    My two cents

5. the shadow

the shadow

thats a cool car sits nice in the pics! just fix the mechanical problems...hell if it were mine I'd add lake pipes and leave the rest be LOL, good luck with your project & your new family!
    Paul

6. tltony

tltony
    from El Cajon

I didn't read this whole thread, just your posts. OK, you got my attention. Bring it by True Line (around the corner from you) and I'll try to steer you in the right direction.
    Tony
    619-417-4224

7. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Cool looking car, Hope the HAMBer helps you out, but if not, crawl underneath and take some pics of the front suspension/disc brake combo. Plenty of people on hear can help out.

8. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

keep the car my grandson goes with me and my wife to cars shows he engoys it

9. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

So all guys with children should immediately sell all their unnecessary stuff and devote themselves and their pocketbooks entirely to procreation?
    I guess then that only single, gay, or old guys whose kids have finally moved away are allowed to have anything of their own?
    Screw that - that's not a good life lesson to pass down.
    My dad had hobbies, and sharing those with him are some of the better memories I have of him.

10. tltony

tltony
    from El Cajon

If you try to build that "false god" on you're first try, you'll probably mess it up anyway. Get some experience with more of a "beater" then if your hearts still in it, go for it when you know more what you're doing....with your kid.

My sons both, with my help, built their first cars in my shop....pretty ambitious projects both. And even though they're not full on gear heads like me, thay learned skills that have helped them many times later in life.

11. Our 55 is alive!!

Our 55 is alive!!

amen!!

12. x2.
    I've noticed a lot of dudes on here trying to give life advice instead of car advice, although the intentions are good I thought this was a car forum! :confused: I see NO reason as to why he should get rid of such a prime car. It doesn't have to be one or the other, its not a decision between his child and his car.

My father has always had motorcycles around since I was born, he'd take me in the shop for as far back as I can remember and I'd "help" him or just sit there on a stool and watch. Theres nothing cooler than sharing that with your parent, especially seeing it all come together. Having a kid involved makes things a whole lot harder but it also makes things a hell of a lot cooler! :p

13. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

There's no reason you can't spend all the time you need with your child and still keep the car in the garage waiting. Don't sell it for crying out loud, almost everyone regrets doing that when they did. Guaranteed it will cost you three times as much to replace. If it isn't costing you anything to keep it, it's money in the bank. And it's there waiting for you to finish when and if. Be a dad first while it counts, there is no second opportunity for that. And you will NEVER regret that.

14. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

Keep the car and start small, and each little kink you work out or small driveability issue you fix will keep the fire lit. As soon as you fix the steering and brakes, you'll feel so much better about driving the car that you'll be finding any excuse to cruise around with your daughter in the passenger seat. :D

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool thread.

Most of the guys with grown children are trying to say "Man, they ain't little for long!"

Most of the younger guys say "You can have it all!"

Of course, you CAN have it all. Just takes a lot of discipline, desire, and work.

Good luck!

16. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

+1....

17. Bingo! Xtent, there is a group of guy's meeting Tuesday (and I think Thur.) nights at the auto shop at Santana High School on Magnolia. I don't personally make it up there too often because I have my own shop, but I have been there from time to time checking on a friends project (The publisher of Overdrive Hot Rod News (Ed) is building a Model A sedan there, and there was another hot rod going together as well. I think they start at 6:30 pm, but I don't usually get there till 7:30 or 8:00 when I go because I have a meeting at 6:30 on Tuesday nights. If you show up at 7:00 your first night, you'll be fine, and you can get all the details. If your not familiar with Santana, just go up Magnolia to 2nd St., turn right and go down to the second driveway (or third, whichever gate is open) on the right (school side), turn right and right again at the first street, and the shop will be on the right about 50 yards in I wish I had seen this earlier, Ed just put on a Chili Cookoff and Car Show Sunday @ Manzanita Brewing Co. on Prospect. I could have introduced you so you would have known someone going in. Pm me your number if you need more info.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  18. jmpowie

jmpowie

The night before I picked up my 29 chevy truck I could not sleep I keep thinking I should call the seller and tell him to keep the deposit. I had a 4yr old boy and a 7yr old step daughter. I kept thinking how much to was going to cost to build the truck, all the time it was going to take the mess and smell of welding.
    I did pick the truck up and built it in a year of weekends its not fully done but its on the road. I bought a lot of used parts off ebay to save money. The first day I picked my son up from school with the 29 and I saw his smile that went ear to ear and hearing him tell his friends how he helped built that truck. I am so glad I did not tell the seller to keep the deposit.

19. Xtent

Xtent
    from Santee

I appreciate all the feedback and will be keeping the car, have a few contacts from here that are local that I will be working with.
    Got the car out of the shop over the weekend since they were not equiped to do the work I need done.
    New issue that came up was gas starting leaking out of it, started unscrewing the cap to relieve the pressure I could hear, thought it was relieved, took the gas cap off and a few gallons came gushing out.

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Like others, I agree. Family first, no question.

My project has been stalled dead in the water for close to 6 years now. Just sitting in the garage taking up space. One kid turns into 2, work is way too busy and no free time, and suddenly it is 6 years down the road. But, it would be dumb to sell it as is in a pile of parts and I am saving it for when the time comes my kids and I can work on it together and then get it done. At least that is the current plan and motivation. If that doesn't pan out, then I'll eventually sell it I guess.

Kids are worth it, spend as much time with them as you can. Don't sacrifice your family for cars. That is just the wrong thing to do for yourself and them.

If you keep it, just work on simple things, one at a time and try to keep it running and enjoy it. If you stop enjoying it, or it gets stalled and not running and parked under a tree, just get rid of it.

Good luck with it regardless of how it pans out for you.

21. CRYOMAN

CRYOMAN
    from so cal

Shoot me a pm if you want a hand. I live in Santee and would be willing to take a look and help out. I have a garage full of tools and a welder as well.

22. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

If you are having problems, then you must find someone who will work at your place for a few bucks per hour. Unless you are finanically secure you cannot pay someone 80.00 per hour to work on a hot rod. You need lots of tools, a few hundred bucks will totally outfit you at harbor freight. I realize they are not the best tools, but are certainly better than nothing. I hope you have some sort of a garage to work in.

I bought a 170 amp mig at HF for 200.00 to use here in NM. I have an ESAB welder in Florida, the HF welder puts it to shame. My 2c.

23. Important Lesson I Learned --- buy one done and take out a bank loan to pay for it in monthly payments

* You will be on the road NOW and the monthly loan will probably be much less than the amount of cash or credit card bills you amount to build it over 1-2 yrs.

* you will own a car that the other guy put time and in and you will get it for less than time and effort can be valued---sad but true!!!

24. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Find and join a local car club there you will find guys that can help you with everything you want car wise and willing to teach you as well