Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 9" Rear Have the Right Look?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Oct 28, 2012.

1. That's the car and it seemed that the article inferred that the bones had a hand in it.

I am no doubt wrong because I am just a politician. ;)

2. Damn Benno your just pissin everyone off today. Get momma out of the house, I'm sending you over some hookers. :cool:

3. Its good for 'em. A little consternation never hurt anyone.

4. I'm hoping no one is ignorant enough to say Prostitutuion isn't " Traditional " , when in fact it's the oldest profession that ever existed!!!

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'm running a '57 Ford 9". It's great!

6. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm "almost" convinced on going with it seeing as I have the whole set up.

Should I lose the So Cal ladder bars though ????? And use the 35-36 rear bones I have

Any other thoughts

7. Are you going to split the bones if you run 'em?

With the bones you should run a torque stay and with the ladder bars you should probably run a pan hard bar. The bones may give you more of a mid '50s lakes vibe. I would run the ladders myself but it is a personal think.

8. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

9. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Mr. Pork we have no time for beef . we are to busy trying to control the sun . Jim Ireland certainly needs no help from us and yes we even let him run with us and were proud to do it. He also went back to Bonneville after that trip and ran in a special hot rod class at 135 mph . Jim also showed up on the salt this year with a knock out 40 custom coupe he just finished.
    Now it's often been said that we don't have many tools but we have limited skills so next next we can't remember something we will be sure to ask what you have forgotten.
    But seriously we don't know who you are but if your ever someplace where we are come on over an have a beer. AS the the Joker said to the batman " why so serious "

10. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

In my opinion the guys at Rolling Bones HAVE the look!!! I have a high tech 32 600hp and a 60's 32 Roadster and bought this 5 window only because I like that style car and want to build onethat looks like that or as close as I can get it. Wouldn'tbe surprise if they have their hands in it at some point. Keepup the great work guys . Your cars are BAD ASS......................

11. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Not that my opinion matters, but if you plan to use that chassis, use the 9" and So Cal ladder bars. They will work fantastically for you.

I think what F&J was trying to get at is that your chassis is not totally "trad" so why sweat the other bits?

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

The 9" would be fine, but why not go with a quick change? Either way that car is gonna be awesome!

13. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Jonathan I Guess you're right. It's not a boxed 32 original frame etc... Front end is all original 32 but.....Going after a certian look .Just want it to be right

14. I got no beef with you but you don't want to drink beer with me, afterwords you would have a legitimate beef with me. I'll buy the first round but you need to let me stick with hard liquer. Just makes me easier to be around.

I suppose the point I was trying to make is that the world would not come to an end if a 9" ford was used. Actually if the five seven rear is original and not had the chuck changed to a later chuck it is an 8 3/4 and not a 9 at all. But that is a different arguement all together.

I did go back and dig out the ireland article and yes it was only mentioned that he traveled with you. In my mind it got switched to you haveing had a hand in it. So I was wrong, if I have only been wrong once in the last 40 -50 years that would be a real feat but alas it is not the case.

I do believe that people do you a dis-service when they talk about building a rolling bones rod. It sounds good on its face, a better compliment would be that you build a real autehentic traditional rod. To say that someone is building a rolling bones rod is to say that you have invented something new, no better than anyother modern ride. I know that it is just semantics, but semantics really do matter.

You do build a real traditional ride. That cannot be said for the multitude of shops in this country, start ups or old. Lots of tools or few. I have spent a lot of time in my life patching up professional builds, I doubt that I will ever have to do that with one of yours.

As for who I am, well I am nobody, just like my profile says. Nobody is good, at least for me it is.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I thought politicians had been around longer than prostitution? Oh that's right, they belong to the same union don't they? :)

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Absolutely correct. The 9-inch wasn't used in amy street rod/hot rod applications I ever saw around the San Jose/L.A. areas prior to 1969. (Nascar was the first to popularize them)
    The Olds/Pontiac pre-'57 was the hot setup: Pontiacs had a wide range of gear ratios, narrow widths, and were interchangeable with Olds; Remember all the Buick steel wheels on the rears of Deuces back then? They bolted up to the Pontiac/Olds. 'B-O-P')

17. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

Now if we could just find Beaner the hooker with the 9" rear I'm sure this would all resolve itself!

18. oj

oj

From what i am reading and what you already have, i reccommend that you ditch the 9" for a QC. I bet you are going to build just a killer car and i'd hate to see you 2/3rds the way thru and begin to regret building the entire suspension around the 9". The 9" might be tucked away where people can't see but we don't build for them do we. We build to satisfy ourselves. Forgo the 9" and start searching for an old QC.

19. Well I have been known to be a diplomat in my time but I don't recall ever being called a whore, maybe whore monger. That in itself would not be eitirely true either as it would suggest that I am Buy-sexual. ;)

20. A Rodder

A Rodder

Glad you guys got it all worked out, not really, it was fun reading and now it's over.

Nice banter.

As for the original question, whatever floats your boat.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

he dont know the beaner...:p

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2 on the pre-'57 Olds rear for a sixties look hot rod, but parts availability is pretty piss-poor now. I have a smooth-back 9" set aside for a future late sixties T bucket project, I'd be all over the pre '57 Olds if gears were available.

Realistically, if you are doing a "rolling bones" type look with cad power, you are doing an early fifties lakes influenced feel, and the 9" is a non-starter if you want to continue the theme throughout. Either banjo or qc are the only "no-compromise" choices. So ask yourself how you feel about compromising, and choose accordingly. Nothing wrong with compromising (see pre-'57 olds vs smooth back 9" comment above) as long as you are honest with yourself about it.

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm in GA and you're in Ma, Dave, but at least down here a"V8" and a "Champ" rear aren't the same. The "V8" is built from a passenger car rear, has smaller bells and a 6 spline pinion, and the "Champ" is based on the 3/4 ton rear and has a 10 spline pinion. Been this way for the 60 years I've been around hot rods and oval track cars, which is where the "Champ" rears began.
    NASCAR was the birthplace of Ford's inspiration to design/build the 9" rear, at the request of the top builders of that time. The '55/56 rears wouldn't take the pressure of competition and they were using a rear from the Mercs and Lincolns. Trouble is it was a Saiisbury type, and was a PITA to change ratios for different tracks. The top Ford builders of the time such as Bud Moore and Holman Moody huddled with Ford and the 9" is the result.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Interesting bit of trivia, didnt know that.

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Frankly (or Frankland?), I'm almost tired of seeing a QC out back. It's almost become expected. They make new ones for $3K. Howz about a Columbia? Even if you faked it with the left bell and vac unit only (they're not known for handling big power), it would be more unique than the gratuitous QC. Don't get your knickers in a twist, I get why they're used and all, but now, like fuel injected 50s Chevys, there's more than were ever built. Bomber seats, old belts, holes in everything, primer, even looking at old pics the cars weren't all identical.

9" not right? Hah, of course it is. It's a 57 rear axle. Unless you're going late 40s/early 50s, I'd run it and smile all the way. Not to mention the noise you won't bear for miles on end with a quicky. Some love it. I think hundred of miles with a constant drone is harder on ya than most realize. Yeah, I get it too that some noises are part of the "essence". In all of em? Build a killer ride, 9" or otherwise, and ONE SINGLE COMPONENT will not take away from it. Make sense? "Sign" your work with your vision.

26. I'm reading this thread with interest as I have a dog in this fight. Building my 34 five window, I scored a winters champ-style quick change. I bobbed off the rear frame and deleted the 34 gas tank and cover to show off that quick change.
    Trouble is, the car will be pretty light and the quick change is one heavy mo-fo! Plus, it's set up for disc brakes and wide-five wheels [which don't cover up the disc brake calipers] I really want to run drum brakes all the way around.
    Now, I've scored an old '57 ford pickup trash trailer that has a 3.89, 9 inch rear in it with a 58 inch width...perfect for my application and it comes with all the drum brake stuff and a 5.5" wheel bolt pattern..absolutely perfect for this build. I got so excited I went out and bought a full set of F-100 front brakes and backing plates/hubs etc to replace the Speedway disc brake parts and to match the 9 inch rear stuff.
    Having second thoughts...maybe I should keep the QC and swap the axle housing ends to accomodate 9 inch ford axles/bearings/brakes but I really don't know where to start..decisions, decisions.

Attached Files:

• QC2.jpg
      QC2.jpg
      File size:
      42.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  27. flthd31

flthd31

Quite a while ago I built the traditional black coupe you see below and still have it. I put a 9" rear in it and have regretted ever since. It's practical as all hell but it just doesn't look right. I know it's not a '57 with the helmet rear cover, but even if it was, I'd still be apologizing for it. And if that car was a '32 3 window like yours, I would not have even considered using ANY 9".
    Highlander's right about lots of quickchanges out there...even lots of new ones, but there's not that many nice old Halibrand V-8's that I've seen.
    That's my vote for your coupe...oh, by the way, Dirty Old Man is right about that "Champ" quicky that Dave50 trying to sell ya. The V8 is smaller with only 10 bolts in the side bells. That's a pic of mine going in my next build. It was slipped into a '40 rear.

Attached Files:

28. If you are talking dry lakes and or B-Ville, quickies were popular but not necessarily the norm. Pic a year and a car and look under it, dry lakes racers and land speed racers in gweneral were not driven by populairty and still are not. they built what suited them and ofeten built with what they had to build with as much as what was considered to be the best by someone else. The quickie was more of a roundy round rear for a car that needed quick gear changes to accomodate different track conditions.

Now of you are building or mimicing a specific build style whether it be what your local hero does or whatever car that you were inspired by from what ever era to make it right you should probably think about using whatever it is that they used.

29. oj

oj

There's a guy on here that converts a V8 banjo to quickchange the oldfashioned way, that is the tits. I believe he is from around New Orleans and posts every now and then about doing a run of a half-dozen or so of them. I expect other people reading this thread will be able to provide a name. He has his own rear covers cast, something about a devil i think?