Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Power Options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nyitro4, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Nyitro4

Nyitro4
    from Graham, Wa

Im in the middle of getting my battle plan togather for my 29' fordor, im still undecided on the engine im goin to use. I know sbc is common and easy, but im thinking of maybe doing something a little different. What is your engine and how about some picstures, thanks

2. Try a hot flattie, or my personal favorite, a beautiful multi carbed Buick Nailhead.

3. I've always wanted to build a bare-bones A coupe with a model B or C engine, 5 speed with a small [eaton?] supercharger.
    Another choice would be an aluminum 215 buick/olds engine with the 5 speed.

4. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

If I did a Model A, I think it would a roadster with a hot V8 60 and a 5 spd

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A friend is building an 'A' with a 'Y' block, 3 speed floor shift and Customline rear end.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

As far as options, the sky is the limit. At one time or another every engine make and model has been shoehorned into an A. What you have to determine is what motor makes sense for you and how you want to use the car. Do you want lots of hp, or just something to cruise around with ?

No question (at least to me) that the easiest, cheapest swap is the sbc. That is why they are used as much as they are. But if you want something different you have to take into consideration that the final cost may be higher and the problems you need to solve greater. The Chevy has everything going for it.........compactness, power, low cost, starter is on the right side, parts are available everywhere and cheaper than most makes.

So the final decision has to be yours, all we can do is suggest engines that we happen to like.

Don

7. My '30 Fordor has a tuned four banger in it. I considered a flattie but ultimately it's still a heavy old Fordor...

Depends what you want out of it. Been in your family all these years I guess it's how much history you plan to preserve.

[​IMG]

8. A 270 Dodge baby Hemi ( my avitar)

Lee

9. 302 with a c4, easy to find, cheap to buy, dependable, with a few changes very quick, fairly good gas mileage(16 mpg, hwy )and everybody ain't doing it. Also 8.8 third member out of a lincoln or crown vic works fits without altering any of it's dimensions and has disc brakes and positraction and can be bought for $150-200 all day long. Good luck and have a ball, I do!

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

havent got any pics of what ive been gathering for my wifes 30 tudor.but ive got a 429 ford , 9" rear. rustyass body minus doors and no frame. but im gonna build it!

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

My model a is getting a v8 60 with a five speed t5 conversion ... Best power plant in my opinion

12. charlieb66

charlieb66

5.0 Ford w/ short water pump, housing combination and AOD. Mid 90 Mustang, TBird and the Explorer. This can save a lot of firewall indention, legroom inside the car

13. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The list of engines that haven't been swapped into a Model "A" is probably a lot shorter than the list of ones that have.

14. A Rodder

A Rodder

Gotta banger in my coupe, will have a y block in the 32 frame I'm working on, undecided on trans

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a biggy, right there. It might be useful to list potential obstacles when using some engine.

Too heavy.

Too long.

Too wide.

Starter on the left side.

Not enough hp.

Too much hp. (not comfortably streetable)

Too rare. (expensive and hard to find parts)

Few trans options.

Not traditional.

Too damn ugly...lol.

But as stated...has so much to do with application...type of car it's going into, and the intended use. And maybe resources available.

16. I was gouing to use an FE in my '38 it would work just as well in an A bone.

Olds power is not over done and is a good option as well. The earlier low deck motors were a nice looking mortor but the tall deck 394 makes lumps of torque out of the box and can be improved if the 445 ft lbs are not enough for ya.

17. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

AN 8CM,(8BA), fits nicely.

Attached Files:

18. jimbousman

jimbousman

215 Aluminum Buick/Rover, T5 five speed, Jag rear.

Attached Files:

19. Mine is a blown 1956 Chrysler hemi

A properly equipped and polished northstar looks really nice damn near traditional and most people have no idea what it is.

The old Toyota 4cly that looks like 1/2 hemi is pretty cool.

Maybe have a look at the thread, need unusual motor suggestions

20. Actually a quad 4 can be made to resemble an old twin cam euro motor.

21. jimbousman

jimbousman

Quad Four?!? How about a Ford V4?

Attached Files:

22. outlaw256

outlaw256

beaner, just yesterday i was thinkin about pittin in a olds.i have a line on a 394 and another 455.but i already have a bunch of bbf sittin in the floor.and i cant even tell ya why i kept buyin thedamn things!!but i got pleny and almost all of them are complete.so i quess we will be usin them instead of the olds.

23. Not a think in thw world wrong with an FE. I had an old timer tell me that they way the genny and such hung on 'em looked goofy. I smiled didn't look any goofier than he did. ;)

Don't buy a 394 unless you can get it pretty cheap, there is one here for you.

24. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

roadster driveway cropped more.jpg 1930 roadster Big Block Mopar

25. 1928-1930 Briggs and Murray four door Model A bodies are wood based under the sheet metal. A high torque motor would mess up the body quickly if you don't build a very stout chassis. I am just keeping a four banger in my Briggs body A, but hopping it up to maybe 60 hp. A flathead or mild sbc would work. A mild sbc would still be better with a beefed up frame.

26. Oldsmell

Oldsmell

Nailhead is sweet, inline six like a ford 300 are cool too....

27. I am not sure why anyone would drop a moder power plant in one without beefing the chassis. But is is good advice from you as there are probably some whistle heads on here that don't know any better. Always good to put some info on building in any thread.

28. you got lots of good answers.
    My 2 cents:
    You have to decide what you want from the car.
    You have to decide if you rare building a period car.
    You have to decide how much you will drive.
    If you plan to cruise the interstate you need, modern, like sbc, easy to fix, easy parts, brakes and suspension to match, etc etc.
    If you want to do cruise nites around town and making noise a hotted up A,B 4 cyl is all you need.
    My car is 10 years on the road the way you see it. about 40,000 miles Merc flattie,(stock)4;11 rear drum brakes. Driven all 4 seasons.Back roads, cruise nites and car shows.
    Never seen an interstate.
    Built to a period and driven like the period.
    Even back and forth to work for 4 years.
    Do what turns you on and drive the wheels off!
    Good luck