Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toys of Christmas past....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

I'd have to go with any Legos and Electronic Talking Battleship. Still have the battleship I got in 1989 when I was five, no missing parts

2. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

loved my ek stunt bike to death, found a few parts from the smash up derby cars when mum moved out of the house to her unit. does anyone else remember i think it was 6 million dollar man that you looked thru his head and was like a little telescope? he came with a transitor radio back pack with the earplug and a wire you had to clip to something for the aerial?

3. It was 1968. A shitpot full of Matchbox and the new Hot Wheels cars! Got nearly a hundred that Christmas. And a lot of Hot Wheels track, too.

Of course, Grandma gave me t-shirts...!

A couple of years later, my Granddad gave me my first train set, an HO-scale Santa Fe passenger car train with an F-9 locomotive and matching dummy, diner car, observation car, two passenger cars and a mail car, with about 20' of track. Still have that, and I've since given that to my oldest son several years ago. We've added to that a bit, to the tune of about 80 cars and seven engines.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  4. Oh and I forgot to mention the walkie talkies that rarely worked once you left the same room as its partner.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Did anyone EVER get a damn Slinky to walk down stairs?:mad:

6. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

7. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Nope. It did sucessfully descend a flight once, however. Wrapped around my little brother's neck.

Yep. I had one.

[​IMG]

8. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Christmas 1952 with all our new toys. That's me running our new Lionel train while my brother looks on.

[​IMG]

9. Scratchbuilt

Scratchbuilt

Still got mine, tho a lil worse for wear. Great now i can make some of the lost parts like the roll bar and windsheild frame. Still got all of my hotwheels , lesney and matchbox cars as well. I had a smash up derby, the pink beetle and dark green pick-up. I loved that set.
    My mental ex wife hoiked it (threw it) and hocked my vintage rod or kustom kits including my un-assembled lindberg 3 in 1 big t kit , clockwork cars and Lp records. At that stage i had every xmas gift my folks had given me while i was young.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  10. kenymac

kenymac

This is Xmas morning with my brother and I playing with my Dick Tracy metal police car with lights and siren. I lost that one but picked up another about 10 years ago at the Monroe swap meet this one cost a hell of a lot more than the original one thats for sure!!! But what we won't do to redo some of our younger years!!! I also have a set of Dick Tracy wrist radio's they worked great as long as you didn't run out of wire to reach each other but they were cool back in the early 50's.

Attached Files:

11. von zipper

von zipper

This set! and my Hotwheels! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351491906.285341.jpg

12. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Jackie Stewart Night lights AFX... and screamin demons, motorcycle....

13. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I got this pedal car for Christmas 1953; photo with me driving in 1954 with my brother in back.

I remember how much I loved this little car and I couldn't wait to drive around the block to take Christine for a drive.

[​IMG]

I didn't notice anybody mentioning the Winky Dink toy, which I also had. You stuck the semi-clear vinyl sheet over the TV screen and drew along with the show host ...not my pics below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

My Little Pony, She-Ra, He-Man (I had Castle Greyskull and Battle Cat too!), Barbies up the ying-yang and I had Barbie's 57 Chevy lol...anything Star Wars related including my stuffed animal Ewok, Lego's (always managed to step on one with barefeet! Ouch!), I had half of the Voltron toy, just two or three of the "cats" that made the robot...the list goes on...oh and Simon and Hungry Hungry Hippos, my mother made sure those games went to visit "the farm upstate"...

15. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

How 'bout the Hubley drag strip. It took up the whole length of our Living room.

Attached Files:

16. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Any boy who grew up in the early 60's had the big Lindberg Hot Rod model T.

Attached Files:

17. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

I was gonna make a post for this but what the hay, I`ll post it here.

Saw it on ebay, would have made one hell of a christmas present.

[​IMG]

18. Piewagn

Piewagn

19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I think my earliest Christmas gift memory was my '56 T-bird by Matel. ran on AA batteries and you could turn the front wheels so it would go in a circle. Then my Strombecker slot car set my brother and I received. Accidently saw my mom wrapping it. Only saw a corner but I knew what it was. Still have it!

Those Meccano sets were a gift from hell. As in " A Child's Christmas in Wales" easy for little Leonardos. Lose a little nut or machine screw and it was LOST. Instructions were so complicated that a bridge would turn out to resemble collateral damage from WWII.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012
  20. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I have a set like that I used to play with as a kid. It's was originally my uncle's back in the 50's. Had a lot of fun with that set. I grew up in a family that had everything old school so I didn't really know the difference. I didn't realize that I was playing with metal when all the other kids my age only had plastic. LOL

21. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I have most of a stock version (missing the hood, one wheel and all of the remote stuff) molded in dark blue; looks like it would make a decent static replica with some work.

22. spiders web

spiders web

Still got my Montgomery Wards Strombecker slot car racing set in the original box from 1962. My mom had it in the attic and I got it back in 93. We also had a HO train set but my brother got it. One of these days I'll set it up and race the grandkids. Might as well get them off to the same start I had in this life long addiction.

23. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

For Christmas in about 1961 or 62 I got a Scalextric slot car race set that sent me off the deep end of the slot car racing hobby which lasted many years; these were made in England, I think 1/32th scale. The set came with a Lotus and a BRM Grand Prix cars, and later I added a D-Jag, an Aston Martin, and a Lister Jag.

[​IMG]

24. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

25. Harms Way

Harms Way

I remember my Brother and I fighting over what page to look at in the SEARS CHRISTMAS "WISH" BOOK,.... I can remember us both laying down on our bellies on the living room rug and studying every page of the toy section..... I can even remember how the catalogs smelled.... And mixed with the smell of the Spruce Christmas tree we were next to..... It all smelt like Christmas at Home......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Rob68

Rob68

Had tons of fun with my Dukes of Hazzard figures and the General Lee until I lost Bo at the beach. Also my Planet of the Apes action figures. My Green Machine was the most excellent toy ever!

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

We stared at these catalogs for hours........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I dug that toy dashboard as a kid, many an hour spent dreaming about the day I was behind the wheel of a real car...
    [​IMG]
    To give you an idea of the size...
    [​IMG]

29. thathotrodkid

thathotrodkid

cant forget about the classic gumball machine save you change

[​IMG]

30. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

WOW, Thanks Harms Way for the trip in the Wayback Machine. I too had brothers that I would sit with for what seemed like hours reading the Sears Wish book, each year. Not turning the page until nearly everything had been picked clean.
    Here is my hunt. I'm trying to locate the big scale of this toy. You wind it up, and run it into the wall. A spring loaded front bumper exploded the body into 5 pieces. You click them all back together, and do it again. This toy probably has more to do with my 30+ years in the auto body business, than anything else. I was hooked early.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.