Register now to get rid of these ads!

61 F100 Replacement Radiator / 460 cid engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ken bogren, Oct 27, 2012.

1. ken bogren

ken bogren

OK, so last night I suddenly found myself needing a replacement radiator for my 61 F100 uni (see avatar).

The truck has a 460 V8 (not sure what year) so I need plenty of cooling power. The truck would heat up pretty high while trying to drive thru the Back to the 60s at the MN state fairgrounds. Needless to say I'd like to be able to cruise thru that without overheating.

The shop that towed the truck in has suggested an aluminum radiator and electric fan setup.

Any advice and or suggestions would be appreciated.

Somehow the fan blades apparent got bent enough to suddenly chew a donut about a half inch deep in the old radiator. This followed immediately after a loud snap sound under full acceleration. No idea yet what caused either. Any ideas of what to look for would be appreciated.

2. ken bogren

ken bogren

I did try searching here for relevant info.

3. outlaw256

outlaw256

broken motor mount? loose radiator? bad water pump bearing. got to be in that area somewhere....

4. ken bogren

ken bogren

Need to check that, thanks. Motor mounts were my first guess, but they seem fine, and the radiator is tight in place.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If you have any junkyards that have some big trucks look at some 60s to 70s F 400s and up as they have larger radiators then the smaller trucks.

6. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

i used a rad from a mid 90s explore and it works fine in my 57 with a 429

Attached Files:

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

With the engine running, left foot on the brake, right foot on throttle. Put in 'Drive'. Have a friend stand on left side of truck, alongside the engine. (hood up)
    Power brake to about 2200 RPM.

If the friend jumps about the time the engine lifts 3", it's the left motor mount.
    You can check the right (passenger side) doing the same act, only in 'Reverse'.
    DO THIS WITH THE EMERGENCY BRAKE APPLIED.

8. ken bogren

ken bogren

Thanks, that should be easy enough to get a hold of. I wonder how it would fit.

9. ken bogren

ken bogren

Larger as in wider and/taller or thicker?

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

They are a little taller and thicker then the light duty versions,I put one in a 78 f150 I had years ago and never had any more cooling issues. The 70s 460 powered trucks also had a larger radiator then the ones with the smaller motors,I just installed the 460 from a 77 f350 in my 66 F250 along with the bigger radiator. Also look at the camper specials with the smaller motors as they had larger radiators that might be close in size to the 460 radiators,my 66 is a CS and came with a 352 but the radiator looks to be larger then a non CS and probably would have cooled the 460 but since I had the larger radiator it went in.

11. derbydad276

derbydad276

go to wrecking yard get a radiator from a early 90's F250 diesel the core supports are simular if you over heat with that give UP!

12. truckrod

truckrod
    from akron,ohio

I'm running a stock radiator that has been recored 3 row in my 61 with a 460, no problems with overheating

13. ken bogren

ken bogren

That's good to know! I'll see if my old radiator can be recored as well as checking out the other suggestions in this thread.