Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats "TIPPIT"-----NOT "TRIPPET"

2. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]
    Santa Fe Railroad put out many of these [​IMG]

Railroad dispatching in the day before computers
    [​IMG]

The first one was Santa Fe, the second was the Chesapeake and Ohio.

3. starwalker

starwalker

Thanks. I hate mispelling people's names, but I missed on his.

4. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enid's Gold Spot Diary

5. Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  6. starwalker

starwalker

If you look at the middle table, there is a smiling guy with a crew cut right beside the Venetian blind. He married my cousin and they have a wheat farm east of town.

kbgreen likes this.
  7. J_J_

J_J_

and look at what a waste that turned out to be!

8. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10-4!----At that moment in history,there wasen't anyone that didn't know all the names flying around & the events changing so rapidly!
    Working in construction, I wrote on a 2X6 on a school job,I was on that day, "JFK killed today Nov.22 1963".
    For all I know, those words are still intact on the 2X6---Behind a sheet of drywall!!!
    I am now reading "Killing Kennedy" by Bill O'Riley, it sure brings back some forgotten details!!---& facts never known by the public until now, if you want some exciting reading----Buy the book!!----Don;);)

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Attached Files:

10. South_paw

South_paw
    from America

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  11. Oh yes, and then when you found someone to race you went down south Minnesota Avenue to I-229 and raced to Western Avenue and then again back to Minnesota Avenue.

I just saw them auctioning Earl Britt's old "Pizza Man" Corvette at Mecum last night but it didn't get past $120K which was under the reserve. I remember eating pizza at Earl's Pizza Palace at 8th and Main and seeing his trophies and pictures of the car. One of my good friends was boyhood pals with Sam Jr. and he remembers going over to the Britt house and hearing the stories of racing all over the country. I also hung around Bruce Luvro's Phillips 66 station at 41st Street and Western Avenue to see them work on Earl's Corvette and Bruce's Olds 442 that he raced.

I remember when one night in May of 1970, the Washington High hooligans (me included) went down Phillips Avenue in a mob for a Snake Dance that ended up at 8th Street and Phillips at the hotel there where George McGovern (RIP George, one of the greatest men of the "Greatest Generation") was staying (The Carpenter Hotel?) and raised so much hell that he came out to talk to us and quiet us down. Crazy times for sure! The police were in school the next day to talk to a few of the guys that might have damaged some cars parked along the way. Some kids were just as stupid back then as some kids are today.

Not any more because they made it illegal to cruise about 10 years ago because of the kids trying to act like gang bangers down there and leaving a big mess in the parking lots. It never was the same anyway after they blocked off parts of Phillips and Main to make it more of a "Mall" because the downtown area died after the big Western and Empire Malls were created on the south side of town on west 41st Street. The town has changed so much you would never recognize it. They still have cruise-ins at Arbies and Burger King (site of the old Barrel Drive-In on Saturday nights.

[​IMG]
    The beautiful old Minnehaha County Courthouse is now a museum.

[​IMG]
    Do remember the Hamburger Inn?

[​IMG]
    And Bob's Drive In on West 12th Street?

12. WCD

WCD

13. WCD

WCD

A true comedic genius.

14. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

Great Convair advert! The red-tail B-36's were all B models and never had J-47's. But it makes for a more exciting and colorful promo. Any details on location of the crew in front of the B-36J?

15. ehdubya

ehdubya

[​IMG]

it's captioned...

A very early shot of The Three Stooges, Moe Howard, Larry Fine and Curley Howard. c.1933.The Gent in the suite is Ernst Lubitsch, famous director of To Be or Not to Be. (1942)

here http://www.frenchpix.com/earlydays.html

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would imagine those were a slow ride with the two that had the 216 and the 54 would probably not be much better.

17. Sorry, no additional info on the Consolidated Vultee Aircraft(Convair) B36 crew was provided with the image.

18. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

19. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

A very early shot of The Three Stooges, Moe Howard, Larry Fine and Curley Howard. c.1933.The Gent in the suite is Ernst Lubitsch, famous director of To Be or Not to Be. (1942)

here http://www.frenchpix.com/earlydays.html[/QUOTE]

So that's Curley with hair. And Ernst Lubitsch looks like he can be the straight man for the act. They sure look young.

Thanks ehdubya.

20. A few more shocker movies for the Halloween season:

[​IMG]

21. axe grinder

axe grinder

You nailed it Dub-ya............When the boys were still figuring out their "act" ;)...........yes, Curly with hair!

22. axe grinder

axe grinder

23. axe grinder

axe grinder

24. axe grinder

axe grinder

25. My take on this pic is: Curley on the left, much slimmer here and hadn't got around to shaving his head yet. Next is Larry and Moe with the big hair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.