Register now to get rid of these ads!

darting model a

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by jimmie p, Oct 28, 2012.

1. jimmie p

jimmie p

hi i am jimmie and i have a 30 model a hi boy with a straight axle sucide front end, vega steering box, 4 bar suspension, pete and jake front shocks, adjustable coil overs on rear, 25x7.50x15 front tires, 31x16.50x15 rear hoosier radials on both, sway bar on rear, i put a 7 inch steering arm [ this helped with ease of steering].the car drives real on a good road but darts bad if you were about to get in trouble. i don't think you could save it in a slide. it darts read bad on a bad road. i don't know if there is a front sway bar available for a sucide front end or if this would help. any suggestions? thanks juimmie

2. 1RUSTY58

1RUSTY58
    from Alabama

Sounds like Caster is too high. Have you checked to see if the king pins are too tight?

3. 1RUSTY58

1RUSTY58
    from Alabama

Caster is too low is what i ment.

4. jimmie p

jimmie p

caster is right

5. badshifter

badshifter

Do a proper intro, then post questions on the main forum. This is the into section.

6. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. Yes this belongs on the main board,,,but. I'll give you a task to do first. I've found this to be an issue many times over the years. I have found the problem by doing this. Get the front wheels up off the ground. Grab a wheel and turn full left and full right. How hard do you have to lean on the wheel to do this? Might sound silly to you at this point but what do you have to loose? Let me know what you find out.
    The Wizzard

7. jimmie p

jimmie p

not hard at all but thanks

8. Once you move off center it should almost turn by itself. 2 fingers on the steering wheel should be all you need to go lock to lock. If it does that you have an issue I can't help with from the keyboard.
    The Wizzard

9. mailerguy1

mailerguy1

Welcome to the board.

10. kennkat

kennkat

Hello & welcome. I'm assuming it is a cross steering setup?? Do you have a "panhard rod" or similar? If not you need one....

11. steves29

steves29

I second the panhard bar. I have split bones and cross steer. Stand ouside the car and give the steering wheel a good pull left and right. You will see how much the car and axle move in opposite direction.

12. welcome from louisville ky

13. 343w

343w

Welcome to the land of helpful hands, these guys will solve your problems better on the main board, much more coverage!