Register now to get rid of these ads!

Creative ways to hide/disguise your project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott 351 wins, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

After being hounded by the City Nazi that goes around town and looks for cars/trucks that are deemed non operational, I was wondering how you guys are making your projects blend in with your surroundings.

I have a 2 car garage that has my current project and my 2006 dodge Magnum are kept in so there is no place for my new purchase(39 standard ford coupe) instead of putting a blue tarp on it I am thinking on something different. Wondering what you guys have came up with.

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

can you have an RV trailer on your lot?
    if so, gut it and put your other project in there.

3. Fenced back yard.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

photograph someones inspection sticker, copy and glue onto your windshield

there was 2 cars here, one wrecked, totalled but with a valid sticker and a decent looking car with out a valid sticker. you know which got a violation

5. I got tired of that crap and moved to the county, away from prying eyes. Why live in a place where you can't be happy? If cars are your life, then get outta town.

6. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

$800 aluminum carport for the Dodge, put the '39 inside with the project car.

7. Black Primer

Black Primer

I know it sucks to have your daily driver outside during the winter, but you may have to bite the bullet. Or rent a shop.

8. Put plates on it ?

City folks and homeowners associations don't like car projects.
    They may tolerate one in the garage as long as you're quiet about it.
    Two projects, you'll have trouble no matter how you hide it.

9. cartman4gc

cartman4gc

City? hell, how can I hide one from my WIFE?

Motobug likes this.
  10. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Screw those people....move someplace else, who the hell are they to tell you what to do with your property, that's why I live in Maine!

11. Camouflage....like invthe cartoons
    [​IMG]

Motobug likes this.
  12. metal man

metal man

No room in the back yard for a large shed ?

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

When you see them coming, run outside and take a poop on the front lawn. Thats bound to take they're attention off those old cars.

14. Zykotec

Zykotec

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uaBQ4IR79dw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Yeah, I gotta agree with 56Don and Sumfuncomet; I think I'd have to live someplace else if I was getting that kind of hassle.

16. outlaw256

outlaw256

freind of mine lived in wheeling il for awhile. they told him get that car out of here if you aint drivin it. so it just moved it in the middle of the nite from one side of the drive to the other. it didnt even have a engine or trans. he never heard from them again. he move that thing about once a week.!! me i live in the country and that is one reason right there.

17. Turbo Killer

Turbo Killer
    from Cincinnati

That's my problem.. how to hide it from wife.

Put the Dodge outside.

18. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

Our tiny little burg just says they have to have plates on em. One year I had my Nova wagon outside on the skates for a couple of weeks. Town cop told me I had to get plates on it, or get it back inside.

I sent the Mrs to the courthouse to register it, put wheels and tires back on it, stuck the plates between the hood and fender, and pushed it out in the front yard.

After a couple of weeks, the Mrs made me put it back in the shop.

I've never had any car project related trouble with the law since.

The fuel bike started at 3:00 am is a horse of another color altogether

19. suede shoe

suede shoe

If you do tarp it temporarily, any color but blue. Green, brown or camouflage.

20. RC Kid

RC Kid
    from Alabama

My buddy bought nice custom car covers for both his project Mustang and his parts car. The code enforcement Nazis have yet to actually walk up into the yard to pull the cover and look at the tags and inspection sticker, which both cars lack. So far he's had no problems. And both car looks rough with the covers are off. One is an insurance write off, the engine caught fire and burnt the front of the car.

21. Wildfire

Wildfire

Getting close the holidays.

Push it into the front yard. Santa Clause in the front seat. Blinking lights all over the thing. Put the sequential ones on the wheels so it looks like its moving.

Bam - that should get you through January.

After that, fence and brown tarp with lots of bungees.

22. Pavers are an improved surface, yet not a permanent structure. So if you need to park it off the driveway, that's an option. An I agree.. no blue tarps! I don't even think they should make 'em

23. Model T1

Model T1

Horrible freight or Tractor Sumething have vinyl car ports for under $150. That's what my late model dailer driver sits under.

24. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Put the magnum outside and the project inside

25. Just paint "Jesus saves!" on the door and claim they're infringing on your right of free speech and religious freedom.

26. Model T1

Model T1

Central Illinois got bad not long before I retired. A next door neighbor got fined for swapping engines in the drive. Son in law got a ticket for no tires or wheels. He had just removed them to go to town to get new tires mounted. Supposedly can't even change oil in your own garage.
    Remember, this is a free country!:eek:
    I wonder if the law makers have family who own repair garages or dealerswhips? Naw!

27. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Used a high school float prop (a fake board and batten barn front) as the basis for a fake shed to hide my o/t vette project. It was 4' wide plywood for the width and cut to resemble a gable roof -8' at the peak. Used T&G plywood 8' long and 4' high for the one side. It was open on the back two sides with the fake barn facing the street view. Pine trees and brushes helped. Blended well and no problems...

28. Unless its governed by a homeowners association.
    Right to life, liberty, and the ......

Can't do what makes you happy

29. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

We rent firstly, its my winter beater that gets the attention(85 f250) it is in need of some work so it is going to sit until it gets repaired( I spent money to get this coupe that is rough........its a 39 i couldnt pass it up) so my 88 tbird is going to be my winter ride.......after a 6 yr stint in a storage unit.ive been driving that since this spring. Magnum is going to be in the garage during winter.

we have a concrete patio basically out of site from front veiw, but itsthe back of the house that it can be seen. there is a cemetary in our backyard so things need to be fairly tidy. I am going to put up some sort of make shift fence in the "patio area" just enough to hide the coupe and put a non blue cover over it.

I had my truck next to the garage for several yrs now and the city has knocked on our door several times about it. the paver thing may work............loop hole in their rules. the ole lady doesnt like my old ford truck cause its not shiny and new. i like it and have put several thousands of dollars in it to keep it running in the last couple yrs. she's pissed about my new car too..........

we are trying to get approved for a rural home loan and are in the middle of getting the laon papers/apps started. i want to live in the country very badly for this reason.

I just wanted to see/hear how creative some have gotten to hide their "non desirable cars" from those nazi types.

I really like the camo vw bug........that is genius,lol.

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

In about 1985 we moved from the Orlando area to Cape Coral, which is on Florida's west coast. A few days after we moved in my neighbor came over to introduce himself and he said "I see you are new to the Cape", then he went on to tell me it was illegal to have a van. ( I had a 64 Chevy van, not a big one, just one of the smaller ones) I thought he was kidding and he said no, I'm serious, if you have a pickup or van it has to be kept behind a closed garage door or you will get a fine. :eek:

Turned out the city had a ban on ANY truck being left outside your home, and they were not smart enough to say it only pertained to dump trucks, but they included ALL trucks. I left my van out one time and found a ticket on the windshield, so he was right. They also only allowed you to change spark plugs and oil, and you had to do it inside a closed up garage or you also faced a fine.

After a while I got rid of the van because it was just such a hassle, and I bought a work car. Another neighbor stopped over to BS one day and he said "You know what is crazy about this law, you can park that old car legally in front of your house and I can't park my $30,000 pickup in front of mine. They also outlawed any vehicle that had advertising or a business name on it. One man came home for lunch and forgot to take off the magnetic signs on his pickup, and he was fined while he was eating.

A few years later enough younger people started moving into the Cape and they owned pickups for the most part, so they were successful in overturning that stupid law, but it was on the books for like 20 years.

I believe in keeping a neighborhood neat, but some laws are just way over the top.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.