Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 merc rear window question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coolblue, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Coolblue

Coolblue

Is the 51 rear window the same as the 49 and 50 merc? Is this the same with 49 thru 51 ford as well? Sorry I'm a newbie at this..

2. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

No, a 51 Mercury rear window is only on a 51. A 51 Ford guy has to chime in about this, but I think a 51 Ford is the same as a 50 Ford.

3. jernlee

jernlee

a 50 is the round one and the 51 is flat at the bottom when you chop a 51 and use a 51 the back window is very close to the trunk at the bottom the bottom corners are

4. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

the 51 glass is not very popular with Merc guys. The 49 and 50 glass are a very popular replacement when chopping a 51. the 49 glass is a three piece and the 50 is a one piece.

5. 51 only

Attached Files:

6. 49 and 50

Attached Files:

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

50 merc & 51 merc

Attached Files:

8. Jeff J

Jeff J

Ok, have a wierd one. my 50 merc that I had had a 3 piece window in when I got it back in 1974 and it had a vinyl roof on it and I was told by the guy that bought it new that that was the window that came with it. I changed it to a one piece later ! Maybe it was a early 50 ?

9. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Perhaps I am an exception, but when I see a chopped '51 Merc with a '51 rear window, it doesn't get any better than that.

Attached Files:

10. yep, early 50's had the three piece windows. the vinyl roof means it's a monterey. upgraded trim pakage,

11. wondering if any of you have seen this. on my 50 the rear quarter glasses were fixed. meaning they didn't open. i took them out myself when i chopped it. they had window rubber around them and held in place by the garnish molding. i've been told that that never happened. but, you could tell they had always been that way.

12. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh baby...that rear window is sexy. The 51 backlight is waaaay harder to make look "right" on a chopped Merc. The heavier the chop, the harder it is...

I pussed out and put a '50 rear window in mine...

[​IMG]

-Abone.

13. Jeff j, here's the 50 I just got with a three piece window

ImageUploadedByTJJ1351391327.732633.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I didn't mean to imply a '50 rear window doesn't look good. Your '51 with a '50 rear window is gorgeous, I wouldn't say you pussed out at all.

15. Mercchev

Mercchev

Gotta second that^

16. Mercchev

Mercchev

Wow, that is a beautiful car!

17. mercchev, abone has a whole build thread on that car, you won't believe what he started with. but, most of the damn pics are gone. in my opinion, that is one of the best chopped mercs ever.

18. as a matter of fact abone, i think it's been long enough that you could do another one and clone that car. ha ha!

19. williebill

williebill

I've got a '50,too,and that's not the only difference. There's less chrome on the dash,the back window doesn't have any stainless around it,the rubber is different ,and mine came with 16" wheels. When I took the dash out,I found "STD" written on the back of it. Since I don't think my Merc has any diseases other than rust, I guess that stood for standard.

On the '51 rear window,some of my favorite chopped 51 Mercs still use the original window. On my chopped 51,I did use a 49/50 window cause the chop is pretty severe,and it was easier with my chop to switch to a 49/50.

20. williebill, i forgot about that. both of my front and rear windows didn't have stainless around them. it had a white rubber strip shoved in the gasket all the way around. and no chrome on the dash except the gauge cluster.

21. williebill

williebill

Yeah,same as mine. I've only seen one reference to these in my reading about mercs.
    I,too,have had 'experts" tell me that it isn't factory. Not sure about any other interior differences,mine wasn't all there when I bought it. Must be pretty rare.

22. Coolblue

Coolblue

Thank you guys for all your info. I had a offer for a 51 rear window for my 53 ford chop and I think I'm gonna stick with going with a 49 or 50 rear. Or is there any other alternatives?

23. post a pic of your car.

24. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

FoMoCo made three different trim packages for the Mercury 6 passenger coupe for 1950. The base model 72-A was pretty spartan and had fixed back quarter glass. The 72-B was the Deluxe model and had vents in the rear quaters. The 72-C was the Custom or Monterey that hade everything and the kitchen sink but ws only available in a few paint & trim packages. All had the vinyl roof.

25. the 51 Mercury back glass comes in laminated now that can be cut down. I just trimmed the bottom corners and about an inch off the top for a chopped 51. Layed down 5 inches and kept the stock lines and chrome on the belt line.

26. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

NONAME,
    Please post pictures of your trimmed '51 rear glass. The Mariani Merc uses a 51 rear window that has slight modifications and it looks great.

27. Coolblue

Coolblue

28. Coolblue

Coolblue

29. Coolblue

Coolblue

30. Coolblue

Coolblue