Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Oilers CC Present: "Race of Gentlemen"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Jul 18, 2012.

1. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Cool was wondering if that was still around. I gotta get working!

2. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Hmmmm... Ive been talking for a while about an idea in my head for a build. THIS may actually bring it to fruition!

Oh and Pat Pryor, thanks for carpet bombing my roadster with the "NJ HackMaster" flyers! I needed the extra t.p on the ride home!!:D:p
    Good seeing you again!

3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

bill, your idea would be PERFECT for this! do it!

4. ELD

ELD

Photo by By Andrea Williams Still

Attached Files:

5. ELD

ELD

Odysseus must return!

6. tuki

tuki

Mel I was thinking it would be good to have a water truck next year or a tractor with a tank could wet down a level area and make a pit to park the racers all together.i think that's a lot of what happened getting stuck once you stopped

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

Looks like a great time and all the pics are awsome!!!!! Hope to fly out there and watch some races next year.

8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

and get revenge!

9. moose

moose

I think that would be key. That was the biggest problem I had, and the reason I only got one run. As a whole, though, this was by far the best event I have ever attended. Even with all the issues with the ride home, I would not hesitate to do it all over again. Mel, you certainly deserve all the praise. This was incredible. Excellent job, and I will certainly come again, racing or not.
    Thank you.

10. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Hey Mel for the next one dad will be ready to go with a couple changes for the better on the blue roadster, we also already started on another banger overhead motor for another car so we can both run. Plan on us ripping it up for you and beating these cars to the core. You tell us where and when and were there anytime.

11. Yeah, lets see a pic of this wild one! I'll never forget when my son was like 1 1/2. We gave him a little big wheel, he could barely touch the ground to push himself through the yard. Then we noticed he was jumping in the air and back down on the seat. We were puzzled at what he was doing. We soon figured out he was emulating me, trying to kick my Indian over. That was a pretty special moment for me. Hahahaa. Apples don't fall from their trees...

12. Hell yeah boys, hell yeah!!!

But I'm going to say it another ten more times! I want that damn tank on the beach!!!

13. Trust me, we did look for a water truck... it is a good idea. We did have a pump and hose to spray the beach too, but didn't use it. I think it was all so much fun, and slightly chaotic, it was perfect just that way it all wound up. Hahahaa

We knew going in of all our loose ends. But with only so much time, and limited funds, we gave her all we had. Now people see the potential, and we have everyone signing on to help. So it will get better! But, I might just stick some stick in spokes so it stays a little less professional, and a whole lot more fun!

14. Storm is looking bad. Allenhurst fears they will lose their cabannas in this storm. Yikes!

I'm still battening down hatches here at the ranch. Get ready!

15. tuki

tuki

Yeah Mel that's what I was telling people.that it was so awesome how chaotic and unproduced it was.prob never be that way again.was just amazing.i remember even how you and someone was running and Andy was coming back down the beach heading right at you! Haha

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

mel how do i get in on this race for next year !! i have a 33 5 wdw coupe that was a young hotrodders project in 49 that he never finished .

he was born in 1931 and when he was 17 he jumped on a 1947 indian motorcycle and headed out on a cross country journey to california from upstate NY . while on his journey he discovered HOT RODS for the first time ever on the way out there in wendover nevada on the edge of the bonneville salt flats where they were holding time trials ! when he got to California Al bought himself his very first piece of the project while he was out there ( a mor-drop 33 ford axle) . he rode that motorcycle home from cali with that axle strapped to his back and strapped to the bike for part of the trip !!! when he got home he started in on the 33 5wdw coupe that he had available to him and he drilled that axle and drilled the wishbones and sourced out a set of juice brakes for the front . he then had a shop in rome NY make him a set of reversed wheels and he went ahead and cut all of the fenders and running boards off the car . he started to gut the interior and then for some reason he gave up on the car . he then proceeded to have a 20 + year career racing roundy round cars and somehow this coupe managed to escape being cut up and turned into a race car ! it sat untouched for 60 + years until i bought it a couple months ago . i'm not going to make any modern changes to the car . he had cut the lever shock arms off and cut the pitman arm and drag link because he didn't have a key for the steering lock . so i am going to fix up the things that need fixing and swap in the 1941 59 A motor i have here but it has a modern 8BA distributor set up and has an original Eddie Meyer high rise 2x2 intake on it !! i will be running a hood and the car has a full set of 16" kelsey hayes bent spokes with black wall stones on it !! here is a pic of it right now !!

[​IMG]

just want to be a part of this show next year will there be a spot for this coupe to race or will i be a show car entry !!!

jp

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  17. lorodz

lorodz

cant wait till the next one ..the preacher will be ready to go ....

18. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

^^^ Love the coupe!! ^^^ -E

19. i think i have to start working faster

Attached Files:

20. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Its cool to see more and more of these "action" events instead of humdrum shows mixed with streetrods..
    Need more like this.. Great pics all..

21. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

oh and the number 33 or 13 would work for me if i can race , unless you have something else in mind ..... actually the old racer who started this project was Suicide Al Sanders (google him)from upstate NY area and he raced with the number 46 so that would actually be better for me !! ............................................woah i just realized the choice of numbers i wanted added together would equal 46 ....spoooky !!! Al was no stranger to racing on the beach either , in 1953 he started on the beach in Daytona for speed week in his #46 37 ford coupe with 133 other cars and finished 65th after being forced out with mechanical issues , rumor has it he was credited with running 9th at one point! and on top of that i think Al may have been born in East Orange New Jersey!!

here's a link to some Al info !
    http://midstateantiquestockcarclub.com/articles_Al_Sanders.html

jp

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  22. cball

cball

Amazing! So sorry I missed seeing it. Their is def a need for more events like this!

23. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

THiS is a Hot Rod event. Perfect.

24. Yeah, I think we can race it! I'm sure it will be a fight to be the next 20 cars. I'll let everyone know when it is time to submit.

25. ELD

ELD

26. A pirates "hurricane" checklist.

Use wooden DRAG RACE signs to batten down all hatches!

Roll up extra Tarps from Race of Gentlemen, lay them in from of Doors to keep water out, weight down with 40's Ford wheels.

Remove all roofs of in progress chopped top hot rods if only tacked welded Store indoors!

"Men with beards" Do not hold face against drills to get more drive while screwing things down! You will lose beard hair... OUCH!

Strap all 29 roadsters down to rolling chassis. Unless you want a roadster body in your kitchen. Hummm, maybe not so bad!

Look for heavy objects like Indian trikes to hold down stacks of hand painted Race of Gentlemenn signs!

Make more then one trip to liquor store for delishious IPA's, and other assorted drinks for your stow aways.

Remove all 34 grill shells and louverd hoods, store indoors!

Lastly, make sure the babies are safe and tub is filled for late night bubble baths!

Take shower after Infantry style house and yard prep.

Wa la, crack 1st bottle of Double Bag Ale, pour down hole in head.

27. All will be completely fine, until shit hits fan and we lose th H.A.M.B. Hugs everyone!
    She's a coming!!!

28. Mel, perhaps you should braid that beard.....reduce the surface area, don't want it to carry you away like a sail.

29. ThrottleJockey

ThrottleJockey

Sandy is a great drinking partner..............:D

30. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i just took down the last 34 grille and last Quaker State sign. now where's my beer...