Register now to get rid of these ads!

Single barrel carb experts... I need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deerejohnb, Oct 27, 2012.

1. deerejohnb

deerejohnb

I need a carb that allows for idle FUEL adjustment.

I have a 30's international with a 213 CI that I put a re-ground cam in and now I have lower idle vacuum. Becasue of this, it runs lean at idle and skips a little. If I add a little propane the engine smooths right out. I have NO vacuum leaks and the engine runs great at other operating ranges.

I currenlty have a zenith 28 and I have tried everything I know of to get a richer idle mixture, but have not had any luck. I increased the size of the fuel hole in the idle jet, and the idle air screw is turnd all the way in. The idle screw is for air only and not for fuel.

Are there carbs out there that would work better? I need a carb that allows for idle FUEL adjustment and not air.

Some others I have considered are:
    Holley 1904
    Holley 847
    Carter YF

I don't know if these have the right flange size I need or if they have adjustable idle fuel control.
    My carb has 2 11/16 bolt centers and the throttle bore is 1 3/8"

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Holly 1904 or Rochester Monojet, two best single barrel carbs I have ever ran.

Fords, Chevys,Mopars inlines......

....Roach.

3. carbking

carbking

The Carter W-1 used on the Chevrolet 216 should be just about perfect. 420s from 1939~1940 Chevrolet if your I.H.C. is basically stock. 483s or 574s from 1941~1948 Chevrolet if you have balanced the lower end for more RPM.

Both have removable and replaceable idle jets, as well as as idle circuit that meters the mixture of air and fuel.

The biggest change in the Zenith 228 was Zenith reconfigured the idle circuit from the 28.

Stromberg BXOV series is very good.

Carter YF is an excellent carb for a daily driver, but the diaphragm type accelerator pump can give issues on a vehicle that is rarely driven and the fuel evaporates from the bowl.

Jon.

4. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

The holly 1904 has a 2 15/16 bolt centers, but there might be room to hog out the holes if you want to go that route (not that I've tried it). Also the 1904 linkage is to the back of the carb instead of the side like most other 1brls. No idea about the idle jets etc, so listen to Carbking!