Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Mercury Build, 4 doors and No roof...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pacoloco, Jul 27, 2012.

1. pacoloco

pacoloco

Sweet, I'll pm Matt later today, thanks.

And yes, I was able to pickup all the garnish and moldings on EBay, except for that interior middle post. Still searching....

2. mj40's

mj40's

Nice job on the gauges. I likey!

3. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Learning as you go - that is the best way!

Sure helps to have that powder coating hook-up.

:cool:

4. I'm just parroting what I've learned but the window glass is installed from inside the car. So if you go trad, you need to fit up the garnish moldings, get the rubber, and have someone figure out what size glass you need and get that going. I used a local guy for this and he was uncomfortable doing it the right way so I have flush-fit glass on the front, which I will probably redo.

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

you can use the stock rubber and cut it down, which is the best way or you can use universal stuff..

6. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The windshield center post helps to hold things in place. It is a 3-piece set up with a chrome piece on the inside that hold the rear view mirror and the division bar on the outside which is made up of a steel inner part that has weld nuts for the screws that hold in together and a stainless steel cover to make it look shiny. It would have to be modified to fit the new dimensions. A person could make parts to work also but I see these things on flea pay now and then if you don't have one.

Flat glass is the easiest to work with since it just has to be cut to size. There used to be a glass shop in about every medium sized town in America that could cut the glass for an old Merc.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  7. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

Dude this is going to be kool as hell when you get all done with it.

8. pacoloco

pacoloco

Thanks guys, and thanks for the tip on the glass install. I'm hoping to get that done as soon as I get it back from autobody, it will have to stay black primer for a while till I get everything else done, then it's just a matter of counting pennies!

And as soon as I get it back, I'll be measuring out the windshield and cutting the outer stainless and division bar and the interior molding. Order some rubber from SteelRubber or MAC? Anybody have a preference? I believe they both around $90 bucks. Then just take it to a glass shop and supervise the installation process and make sure it's done from the inside, like u guys said, thanks....

9. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

C&G down in Escondido is another option for your rubber, thats who i get all my stuff from, if you order it early enough, sometimes have it in a day..

10. Can't think of anything uglier than a four door without a roof. lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. pacoloco

pacoloco

That is one beautiful Merc! You have that custom 16g steel Carson top right? I hope my comes out remotely close to that!

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

12. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

over at this thread::
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723141

Dan posted George's Merc. as i mentioned above,he posted this shot of it,

Attached Files:

13. pacoloco

pacoloco

Picked it up this Friday, Primered and ready, well at least for now... After a few minutes of putting it back together got to drive it in 100 degree weather across the San Fernando Valley. So glad it's a convertible because it has no A/C....

Attached Files:

14. pacoloco

pacoloco

That's a great story DamagedDuck, and a nice Merc, I havent decided which color carson top I like more between black and white.

What I'm trying to do know is figure out how soon I can paint this baby and what my cost is going to be. I originally planned on just cruising it in it's primer, but after only 3 days of sweat, dirt and water marks all over it, I don't think I'm going to be able to stand it.

I really like the satin black semi glossy finish, which my buddy said we can shoot it ourselves, except, I don't know a thing about paint so I'll be surfing the hamb boards for the next couple of hours on what that cost and how hard it is to do it.

Thanks again guys for all your inspiration...

15. You got it. 16g with no english wheel. It's a grunt to lift it off. Not something you do just for an afternoon. I take it off for weeks at a time.

16. pacoloco

pacoloco

OK, so it's been a crazy hot summer here and with everything going on, I've only been able to spend a few of the evening hours working on my favorite new toy...

A couple of weeks ago I got the glass put in. (Thanks to www.cgfordparts.com) I got the windshield molding the very next day. Also to my local window guy Sam who after 3 1/2 hours of cutting and fitting, fitting and cutting, was able to modify the rubber and glass on my uneven-chopped split windshield.

Then that night of course, I had to put the molding on, so staying true to my inexperience, I did the classic (Measure once, cut twice) but was able to cover it up by cutting 2 smaller pieces as covers. Not bad IMO for a 3AM hacksaw job. I know later down the road I can have a welder put them together and make it a perfect piece. but it looks great for now. I also cut the inside molding too (which looks bad for now).

I also, cleaned up the steering column and put in a new steering wheel, along with some temp heat and sound mats. Temp till I get the wiring harness put in, which will be my next big job. I have someone helping me. It's just a matter of figuring out the time and ordering the harness.

I also decided to go with Hot Rod Flatz Black Twilight Metallic for an inexpensive paint job. I know I know, but I really like the black satin finish look and the black primer it's currently in is starting to look terrible. I just need to find someone locally to shot it as I already ordered the paint.

As for the engine, well, I went to the LA Lowrider show a few weekends ago with a buddy, and it was the first time I took the Merc on the freeway to see if it would overheat or other problems plus take it past 30 miles an hour (it never had a windshield remember). And fortunately, after riding the 101, 110 and 405 freeways it was a perfect test flight as the engine and tranny held up well....

And I'm now taking a bunch of Mechanic classes at Pierce College and will be dyno testing it once I do some more testing on the engine. (Chevy SB 350)

I also have to change out the shocks/struts and replace all the rubber on the steering and suspension. Then hopefully find some inexpensive leafsprings.

I'll try to post more pictures later, thanks again to everyone for their support, motivation and inspiration.

Man it feels good driving around in that Merc... 1949 Merc.jpg

interior.jpg

17. pacoloco

pacoloco

Wet Sanding, chrome bumpers and a new paint job.... It was a quick job and I never knew you had to sand till your fingers bleed only to have to do it again, but this time with water. And yes, I did use the Hot Rod Flatz, Black Twilight and honestly it came out really nice, its more of a gun metal gray/black during the day but really sets off at night. And then Christmas came early... The chrome bumpers were finally done...

Unfortunately the hood hinges we're never tightened correctly and it's misalignment now causes it to scrape against the cowl and scrape off all the paint. Anyone know the easiest way to align it, so it won't drop so much on the left passenger side when I close the hood.

Attached Files:

18. Looks good, need some better shots of that new paint.

19. pacoloco

pacoloco

Thanks, I'll get some better shots tomorrow. I'll try to do some day and night shots...

Just in case anyone is on the fence on insulation, I used "Peel n Seal" from Lowes for my firewall, floors and doors and man is it awesome. Works great, insulates great, lays easy, super cheap compared to Dynomat and others and no, it doesn't smell at all.

Now if anyone has any 4 door Belt Trim laying around, let me know...

-Pacoloco

20. skyrodder

skyrodder

Paint it Green Vato!

Attached Files:

21. great job. the dash turned out great.

22. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Looking bloody good!

23. desotot

desotot

neat thread, makes me want to do a carson top with my 4dr.
    [​IMG]

24. pacoloco

pacoloco

Ok, so it's been quite sometime since I've been on here. And like most of us, I haven't stopped learning while busting my knuckles trying to wrench on this beast!

So I just had to share the release of this music video that my car was in! I just saw it today and am pretty estatic how cool it turned out!

Since I was last on this post, I've added rear skirts, a new 350 sbc, rebuilt the whole front end suspension along with brakes and tires, dropped the rear by removing 3 leafs and added 4" lowering blocks. (I'll post pictures later)

All thanks to the everyone on here! Thank you all for posting your tips and suggestions, answering emails and silly "FNG" questions. I'm happy to say, my baby is finally coming along.

Thanks again everyone for all your help and support, hope you enjoy as much as I did...

"Emeralds" by LETTS

25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The Merc looks fantastic in front of the camera! Congrats on having it featured in a music video.

26. pacoloco

pacoloco

image.jpeg image.jpeg Thank you... Here are a few with the new skirts.