Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bob Drake Cancels 1940 Ford Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19Fordy, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Phastphil

Phastphil

I have been involved with early Ford hot Rods since the middle 1960s, I have spent thousands on replacement parts beginning back to the "Argentine/Brazil" supplier days up until the present time, and, I still have six early Fords, four of which are in daily driver condition. I have a box full of the early repop parts that I have replaced over the years with Bob Drake parts as they became available. One only has to look at the early parts for a second to appreciate Bob's quality, I have never had the slightest issue with anything Bob sells, regardless of where he has it made! He has established the quality bar for all others to be compared to. For example, I tried to paint in the Ford script on some nonDrake caps that came on one of my cars, the stamping was so piss poor I had to almost free hand the script, it looked like shit, the next swap meet the caps were gone! I buy only Drake or original caps whenever possible his stampings are every bit as good as the originals. All the Drake patch panels I bought for my '38 coupe fit great, the others I had, well, they sorta fit, kinda. All I can say, if you bash Bob Drake, go ahead buy the other stuff, and there's a very good chance you will be sorry. If Bob has it available, it's as good as you're going to find!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. 40 Ford fan!

40 Ford fan!
    from Concord NC

3. meteor500

meteor500

To put this body together was a monumental undertaking,Mr Drake deserves major credit but take a look around at the owners of these cars the next show you are at,count how many dont have grey or dyed hair and how many of these people are now forced to downsizebecause they cant afford to keep what they have.The hobby needs new blood to keep building new cars and that means being open to kids building whatever they do to start,because it will lead to bigger and better.Isnt it ironic that the younger guys are more interested in a flathead than the older guys.I hope the 40 body can continue however it may be expectations that are too high on the number of complete units that will sell,however the company now assembling these offers a 57 chevy conversion kit to build a ragtop from any 57 chevy body and possibly a similar conversion kit could work for the 40.We can only wait and see.I do think we have to be thankful for the enthusiast businessmen who tool up parts for old cars and the limited market they represent because lord knows they could make more money making some iphone accessory...all the best,mark.

4. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I always get good service from Drake.Just ordered some parts this morning.Thanks Bob and your staff!

5. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I think we should all be very glad we have people like Bod Drake and Dennis Carpenter. Both put a lot into this hobby and their parts have probably saved hundreds of thousands of old Fords, some maybe several times over. Survival rates are down to parts availibility. Also if you prefer NOS or original parts, consider this. The availibilty of reproduction parts keeps original part prices at a reasonable level because it reduces the demand for them. So everyone profits.

Thanks to Bob and to Dennis.

6. Thanks to both Drake & Carpenter you are now able to purchase that pristine 40 coupe of your dreams,,,

[​IMG]

$15,545.00 bucks,,HRP

7. banjorear

banjorear

Carpenter had some bodies on display at Hershey. I'm not a '40 guy so I didn't stop, but they were there.

Looked pretty awesome.

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haven't seen the body in person but it's great that Drake and Carpenter make the parts that they do--have used alot of their parts on various 40's. Just picked up another 40 (a nice std coupe) and will be ordering alot of parts from Drake-without these guys it would be very difficult to build a nice 40.
    Hope to see the body--have used floor pans, tailpans, etc. with good success but price is a tad high for me--just got a nice coupe with chassis done, floors done and new trim,glass and an eng and trans for a similar price-also came with many new Drake pts. Some pts are hard to locate -cowl vent lever,window garnishes,etc. etc. and are not reproduced.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  9. dad-bud

dad-bud

Cudos to Bob Drake for having the balls to invest time and money into trying to develop a new steel body for our hobby. Sad that it didn't pan out for him and his business.
    Dennis Carpenter stepped in to pick up the pieces after the opportunity became available - I don't know if Bob walked away or was pushed, and I dont know if Dennis was invited or was a pusher.
    I hope they both continue to run successful companies for their and our sakes.
    I don't know either of them, nor have I met them. Just clarifying.

10. Bob wrote a letter in his most recent catalog that clears up what happened.

11. I had an up close and personal look at the body @ Carpenter's tent @ Fall Carlisle. Pretty nice, really - seems true to its original design, clean lines, but just seems lighter/thinner (but maybe just as strong?) as the original steel. Looks like more interior bracing as well. What I like about it all is that you can bring back an original quicker with the panels, doors, fenders, etc, that are now available. Yes, the price is up there but it does make the process faster. For instance, 39/40 coupe decklids were near impossible to find.

It's a shame he cannot reap the benefits of all of his and all of the Bob Drake's folks efforts - my hat is off to them for making a fine product and doing what he said he was going to do.

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

i agree the body just seemed thinner or something. idk. it was incredibly nice but it just seemed like it wasnt as "heavy duty" as an original. either way its a wicked nice piece but for the price there is absolutely no way i would, or could buy one

13. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

These bodies are advertised as 19 gauge steel outerskin. Anybody know the gauge of the original bodies? Is there any difference in the metal?

Actually for 15K this doesn't look like too bad of a deal. Fast way to turn a roach of a 4 door into a coupe.

14. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I have no complaint re; Drake's products. Everything I ordered was good, well made, and fit with no issues. I especially like the electric wiper kit for the '40 pickup,...Easy to install, and works great.

I was really happy to see that 40 coupe project,....That's one hell of an undertaking, to say the least. The good news is that someone is still doing it, so all is not lost. Now,...if someone would come up with some STEEL front fenders for the 40 pickups..........Please ?

4TTRUK

15. I was very happy to see the 40 coupe reproduced,,, in alot of ways it was good as henry's!

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

I bought a set of four stainless steel baby moon hubcaps right out of Bob Drakes hands at Pate. I tried to put the first one on my right front wheel but it would not 'pop' on. I tried another hubcap on the same right front wheel and it 'popped' on weakly and fell off when I drove the car. The other two hubcaps 'popped' on correctly and stayed on. Bob Drakes employees claimed that what I said could not be true and they said that my reproduction wheel was to blame!! My wheels are genuine Ford, not reproduction. They refused to take their hubcaps back. They refused to refund my money. until the Better Business Bureau got after them.

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Can you paraphrase or scan the letter for us that don't have the catalog?

18. Dr.Kerry

Dr.Kerry

19. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

I dunno about Bob Drake, but Dennis Carpenter has done me right for 20 years.
    If you do 50's Fords, Carpenter has always been the man.

As soon as I hear a few reviews, I will probably throw down on this body.
    I'm somewhat excited..

20. 5window

5window

So, just for argument's sake, how do you know for sure you have genuine original Ford wheels? Even if they came off an 80 year old car,they could be replacements. Plus, there have been lots of NOS, genuine Ford products over the years that are that way because they didn't fit right when originally made and were set aside. I'm not doubting your word, certainly not taking BD's employees' side-just wondering.

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

Just like Bob Drake and his employees, you are not paying attention.

I tried all four hubcaps on the SAME RIGHT FRONT WHEEL and got three separate fits

22. 5window

5window

Exactly. You still haven't proved it's the caps, just that you've got a wonky wheel.

23. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

At the very least, I'm DUMB-enough to understand that of FOUR caps (a set) that any purchaser would reasonably expect to be manufactured as "the same", that the manufacturing tolerances on the caps (quality control, maybe) were noticeably different (on the SAME wheel..."wonky" or not) three times out of four. This is a "no-brainer"...junk quality caps. DD

24. 5window

5window

UNDERSTAND...BEFORE you disagree!

I disagree-maybe they're junk, yes. Or maybe trying the ones that didn't fit on wheel A, gennie or not, on the other wheels might have yielded 4 good fitting caps. Seems each wheel,even if different, has four chances for a match. And, still, you haven't convinced me that an 80 year old wheel hasn't undergone some changes in that time.

25. duane1946

duane1946
    from beloit wi

I have a 40 ford coupe Iam building and Iam tryiny to Install a tailmount lokar shifter on a 4l60e transmission nothing but trouble

26. .....What does your issue have to do with this thread?:confused: