Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lookey what I got for a project!! (Hyfire Poly!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wolfhound423, May 10, 2009.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Purty! Bet you can't wait to fire that puppy up!

2. It looks AWESOME !!!!!!!

3. 4msfam

4msfam

I really like the dual carb setup! Can't wait to hear it run (need sound clip!). I like the detailing he's doing... what kind of starter are you using? I still have my original starter, but was wondering if there's a modern one that fits...

Attached Files:

4. George

George

What tranny are you using?

5. Starter is one of the smaller, hi torque jobbies (would have to look at it to tell you which brand) - had to use that for space concerns, the adapted Hemi flywheel, and with the Dodge AX-15 trans. Gary (73RR here on the HAMB) machined the adapter for the trans. It can handle the torque on Jeep I6's and the V8 they used to put in the Dakota (which is where it actually came from), so it should be able to handle the jive from the Hyfire.

6. 4msfam

4msfam

Thanks for the info! Currently I've got the original 3 on the tree, but have been researching doing either a T5 swap or the AX15. But no need to derail your thread. Just wondering! Thx!

7. Easy day - go back to post #134 - where I picked up the trans - and run forward a bit from there. Gary can help you adapt an AX-15 to these early Hemi/Poly motors. The good news is, AX-15's are stout, cheap and fairly plentiful...guess they haven't really caught on yet in the HR community, otherwise folks would be charging a premium and they would be tough to find!

8. Oh boy...so close now. ImageUploadedByTJJ1350608612.537846.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1350608638.367751.jpg
    Dead sexy!

ImageUploadedByTJJ1350608718.312262.jpg
    On the stand and ready to rumble!

Hopefully, we'll hear the Hyfire roar to life sometime tomorrow.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

10. Wolfey. NICE job! VERY interisting 25 page read.

In case I missed it, my question(s),,,,,,,, why did you have to tear the motor down when you got setteled in VA?

Did you have to get a 2nd o'haul gasket set?

I was eagerly following your (almost) 3year adventurer, untill the 2nd tear down, then I got lost,,,,,,,.

Can you PM me what EGGY charged you for the piston set, o'haul set, etc set, please?

Several years ago, I picked up a '55 Savoy 2-door with 52K orginal miles! Guess what?! It's got a 259 and a THREE-on-da-tree! The 'bad' part. (sigh) it had been stored in a VERY damp/humid basement since the early '60's, and is rusted to pieces. Even the bottoms of the front wheels were rusted away!

The motor, even though low mileage, is locked up tighter than the hubs of hell.

The car is still sitting on my trailer backed into the shed, since I brought it home. (pure laziness) I have dumped around 15-16 gallons of used motor oil in the radiator, in the motor untill it started prouring out the breather tube, and down the carb untill it overflowed. I 'supose it's still locked up.

About 25 years ago, I picked up TWO abandonded 325 Dodge Hemi motors in a local engine rebuild shop when they closed. I alway wanted to build a '55 SUPER Hy-Fire. LOL. Never did get one of those 'round tuits'

anyway. I'd like to put this '55 Poly/trans, the way it is, a Poly motor, in a '32 Hi-boy!

Now, if I can win the lottery, (my Agent Orange claim was turned down, another 2+ year wait on the appeal/re-file) like to find a traditional, abandoned Duce hi-boy build,,,,,,,,,,. I think of putting a small sign on the motor stating this was a early prototype 348/409 motor. See how many would believe it.

Post a video of it running please!

11. I am still waiting to hear that roar. I might even crack open a cold beer tonight and just listen to it rumble to life over and over.

12. Want me to call you and hold the phone up to the exhaust? :D The time is near!

13. I would love it, but I am in training all afternoon - I just barely snuck away to check email and inhale a little lunch. I have to go back down for another hour of torture here in a minute. I'll have to settle for an mpeg or an mp3 this evening....with that tasty BEvERage.

14. At last the day is here! Fetch a tasty beverage and enjoy...

[​IMG]

15. Oh wow...just wow. I can't tell you how long I have been waiting to hear that. Thank you so much Dan!!!!

16. DJM

DJM

Sounded awesome!!!!! Guess cant say "My Old Plymouth Aint Runnin" Great job. Cant wait to see car flyin down the road!!!!

17. 73RR

73RR

Great job Dan!

18. And thanks for your help too Gary! This has been a few years in the making. Now to just get the Hyfire stuffed into Blue and start rolling down the road!

19. George

George

Sounds great! I see someone is still using Fram filters.

20. n847

n847

Congrats...Thats a sweet set up! Now get back to work and stuff it between the fenders!

21. Huh huh...that's what she said!

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Insert major grins here! :D:D:D

23. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Cool

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

24. This thing sounds SWEET! I want a Poly too! :D

[​IMG]

25. Thanks Gary! And thanks for the help getting the pilot bushing sorted out!

26. 73RR

73RR

Dan, always happy to help!

Gary

28. Going back together... a bit closer now.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1351819817.375022.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. Pic. # 1 Plug heater hose out let in back side of water pump.

Pic. #2 Use water out let on the back of intake on passenger side.

Pic. #3 Run heater hose to intake side of water pump.

This set up works vary well for me and looks so much cleaner. Just a thought.

Bob

PS.Just thought I would through in a pic. of my re chromed hood ornament.

Attached Files: