Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Ford Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cruisinthe34, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Yet ANOTHER delay !

After a couple of set backs, we tried yesterday to get the '41 off the lift. We did the old estimated (measured) toe-in trick, fired the truck up, lowered the lift and eased the truck off (the front half). When dropping the truck into gear, we were getting only a very light gear engagement feeling. To make a long story short.....the C-4 transmission is out of a '68 mustang. '68 Mustang C-4 had a 24 spline input shaft, when I ordered my torque converter they shipped me a 26 spline converter. Obviously a 24 spline shaft can slip inside a 26 spline converter but it ended up getting caught out of alignment and snapped the input shft destroying the transmission.
    On follow up with the selling vendor as to why the mismatch I'm told the 24 spline torque converters have been on back order for 2 years...... yada yada yada......
    So yesterday we dropped the transmission out (After pulling the truck back up on the lift with a comealong). and ordered a new transmission for a smooth 1100 bucks. This little 2000 dollar project has now jumped the some where in the vacinity of 12 0r 13 K.......but the quality is there.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Nice truck and tribute!!!

3. Better that transmission fail now than 100 miles from home-someone is looking out for you. Nice truck-Great tribute to your late Wife-sincere condolences.

4. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Sorry, I never know what to say when someone loses a loved one. I put the same engine in my 40 and love it. Nice job

5. Expecting the new TCI Trans to arrive today......really hoping to get it in over the weekend.....

My new tonneau cover arrived today, maybe at least I can fabricate the bed rail attachments for it over the weekend.

rustyford40: I'm really hoping after all this I'll like this setup. Early on in this rebuild I was thinking I would have to recess the firewall 4", I even bought and have a firewall replacement from Direct Sheetmetal, but fortunately I didn't have to cut the firewall. I wanted to keep a 'Ford in a Ford' as they say. I have a SBC in my '34 Chevy, so it's only right to keep an SBF in the '41.

6. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Way to go here.. Taking the bad and turning it around.. Kudos to you and I am sorry for your loss.

7. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I used a Model A radiator, that gave me 3" more room

8. I got an aluminum radiator from AFCO. everything fits SO FAR, just haven't tried fitting the hood yet.

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I too, am very sorry for your loss. That is a fine looking truck. I notice you have an "A" ration sticker, is that an original windshield?

10. GOOD EYE 55SS Merc, The original truck I started with had an original windshield WITH an 'A' sticker. I had to replace that windshield (and all the glass) on the first build. My wife really liked the ration stickers, so I found a full set of original stickers unused on EBAY and had each individually laminated and I tuck that in the weather stripping rubber.

11. Here's a photo I found of the ORIGINAL build teardown started about 7 or 8 years ago, you can make out the old Ration sticker sorta torn in the windshield.

[​IMG]

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

In my mom's old family photo album, there is a pic of my grandpa and his 1939 Buick with a "C" sticker in the windshield. He operated carnival rides, which were deemed important to morale here at home, and so he got the "C"sticker. She also explained meatless Tuesdays to me then. Sorry to stray off topic.

13. Here is the broken C-4 and the offending broken shaft. I just recieved a new TCI Trans and hopefully get that in this week.

Attached Files:

14. We've had a two week ordeal wrestling through issues with the transmission and torque convert. I'll cronical those issues once they're resolved. But TODAY.......I'm trial fitting my custom made tonneau cover....turns out, It's going to be PERFECT!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  15. I'm thinking of ditchin' the dog dish hub caps and going to center caps and chrome lugs. Here's a shot of that look on the spare.

Attached Files:

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

JMO, but I like the dog dishes a little better. They look pretty good on your truck. Did you get much snow in your neighborhood?

17. We got about 5" that first day, but it was gone pretty quickly. Still about 20% or so without power.

I'm not sellin' the caps, I can always switch back :)

I feel strongly both ways.

18. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

that my friend is a wonderful tribute to your wife and every other woman who has had to deal with this tradgedy. That is an absolutely amazing truck.

19. If anyone is interested in the entire story of this build, both the original build with the flathead and the rebuild with the SBF are chronicalled Here: http://roseandiris.net just 'mouse over' the door of which you want to read about. Thanks to all for their well wishes.

20. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

So sorry for your loss.That's a sweet truck and a wonderful tribute to your wife.

21. November 9 was a BIG DAY. I asked my buddy Ron to do the honor of driving 'Rose' off the lift for the first time since June 1......and he TOOK OFF down the driveway !!!

After Ron's quick little test drive, we still need to adjust the transmission linkage a little, but she's BACK ON THE GROUND !

Then I started thinking about an idea for the Tonneau cover....

Attached Files:

22. Another good day yesterday. Cleaned up the wiring on the electric fan. Got the shift linkage straightened out, and got the exhaust on. Now I need to put the exhaust port plugs in the heads where the cross over used to go. etc Etc etc. Baby steps.