Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Sawmill rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nickk, Oct 25, 2012.

1. nickk

nickk

So, I'm going to step back a few steps and reupdate this thread. I started this years ago and was going to be a hopped up banger with a stock chassis and all that jazz. Shortly after this thread started I made one of the worst choices of my life and started building a triump chopper. Welp that's over with now, and I've gotten back at the build. When I first started the build I was mig welding everything and it looked terrible but now everything I'm doing on the body is tig welded, and still looks terrible. Anyways Ive went a different route all together. I channeled the body, kicked up the rear crossmember and used a little later suspension and still went with a Y block, but this time a 312. Ill post more pictures soon and throw out some detail of whats changed.

[​IMG]

Here in this picture is how i bought it, the quarters was tack welded back on with a stick welder and the fenders where solid welded back up then brass welded to the body!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice to have a car with some history. I'd save the fenders and other odds and ends so you'd have then down the road if you deside on another rebuild. Bob

3. nickk

nickk

So my first step after getting this car was to remove the fenders, I have plans to keep them and the bumpers, they may never go back on but I want the option. I had to call over a friend to get these off, it was a interesting hour! Thought I was finding gold when removing the fenders but it was just brass. Instead of cutting into my body I cut into the rear fenders to get them off then decided id just grind off the brass.

[​IMG]

4. nickk

nickk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the fenders was removed this is was I had to start with. Sadly I forgot to take pictures of removing the quarters before welding them back on, but I was able to do that and put them back on, pictures of that later to come though

5. I love the storied histories of some of the car/truck builds showing up here. Great car and history. Just think of the challenges ahead if someone hadn't saved those quarters.

Like your plans.

All the best.

Doug.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting story... by any chance do you have images of the sawmill installation? Gary

cactus1 likes this.
  7. nickk

nickk

I don't have the saw set up, the guy I got it from said he still may have some pieces of it. when he bought it he took it all off and tried to put the car back together, but in some of the other picture I have it has mounts on the frame where I believe the shaft was mounted

8. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

It would be cool to see pictures of the car as a sawmill.

9. Thats one very cool surviver with a neat history and to still have the quarters!!!! JW :)

10. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

This should be a fun project!

11. nickk

nickk

Well these next few are to show you what I had to work with, the rain rails in the trunk was cut out, the sub rails was also cut out, along with the the rear panel (under the deck lid) was cut out, looks like maybe by another sawmill (joke, but it looks nasty) and you can see where I believe the shaft was mounted to the frame (the steel plates welded in the corners)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Very cool, glad it is being resurected. What part of NC are you in?

13. nickk

nickk

Triad Area, Thomasville exactly, between lexington and high point

14. That is a crazy story!

You will get a kick out of telling folks that your car was a sawmill!!!

15. nickk

nickk

This is were I "BEGAN" to weld up the quarters, I completely removed them first and went by the body lines to put it back on, worked pretty well but not perfect. I'll admit this is my first time doing in major sheet metal work at least like this. This isnt the final product, but right now the goal is to get the car back solid and straight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. nickk

nickk

Haha I know, its different for sure. I've seen and know where there are model A's made into Hoover tractors and Ive heard of them turned into saw mills (never saw one though) and I got lucky enough to turn it back into a car

17. nickk

nickk

Kind of off topic but, this is a frame I built out of 2x4 tubing when I was 19 (2 yrs ago). I love working with heavier metal, making stuff and have worked on endless farm equipment, but its a lot different working with sheet metal, its something ive avoided doing for too long

[​IMG]

18. nickk

nickk

Clearly not the best photos but my phone is all I have to take them. This next picture I were I put in some new sub rails. I just bought them from early ford, couldnt really complain about the cost for what it was, one day Ill take the time to make some myself, but not today. Everything in etching primer is stuff Im working on or have worked on.

But next I planned to remove whats left of the old rain gutters in the trunk!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  19. nickk

nickk

20. nickk

nickk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see front the last few pics what I had cut out to replace

21. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

I used to be like this too I now find the sheet metal work relaxing

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. nickk

nickk

[​IMG]

Alright heres one of the beads Ive been working on, not done, but in there, needs some more polishing, but like others Im sure get side tracked and skip around so I started this mess

[​IMG]
    http://i49.tinypic.com/1zbgxhs.jpg
    [​IMG]

Cut the original tail late bracket down, turned it upside down with hope that the tag light shine up good enough on the tag, which is why I put the bungs in the rear cross member too

23. nickk

nickk

and a little more side tracked, any thoughts or comments so far?
    [​IMG]
    push bar?
    [​IMG]
    some exuast I made, no longer hanging by zip ties though

Spooky likes this.
  24. im interested in the saw mill pics too. ive been thinking of turning my rod into a saw mill and want to see how i can do so.

ok not really

25. nickk

nickk

I wish I had pictures of it, but when my friend got it in 59, he somewhat put it back together as much as he could, but he said he still may have some of the sawmill stuff laying around somewhere

26. nickk

nickk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally have to bead rolls in and looking pretty nice, a little more fine tunning on them and fixing the gaps and Ill be happy

27. nickk

nickk

28. nickk

nickk

Fooled around this weekend, I sheared out some floors for the coupe, 14g kinda heavy but its what I had. Also as seen in the last picture I also put metal down under the wood for protection. An older guy as a nice favor made me the wood floors, I dont plan putting the battery back under the floor so Im gonna find me a orginal cover to go over it. Oh yeah, and the red oxide primer I brushed on, got a little bored after running out of materials. Thinking of brush paint the coupe! thought?

29. hemikev

hemikev

nice car , great work , be watching your build .

30. nickk

nickk

Its a little slow moving, been sick as hell and a little broke. But im pretty consistant