Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm back...got 4 wheels on the road again. 1961 Corvair van custom in the works.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skajaquada, Oct 24, 2012.

1. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

Haven't been on here in ages it seems but I wanted to let my friends on here know I'm back. After selling my '29 tudor and my '25 C-cab due to moving, I have pretty much just been on my Triumph for the last 3 years. Didn't hang around on here because it distracted me and made me want another old car but owning a motorcycle shop made that an unnecessary time consumer. Then I needed a shop truck.

Got this '61 Corvan 95 panel van in trade for some work on a guy's BSA and after replacing all the oil seals, new lifters, rebuilding carbs, going through the clutch and a good bit of other small misc work I have a dandy little shop truck that fits 2 bikes easily. It's got a lot of local history and was bought new by Poll's Custom Audio 6/17/61 to be their parade and advertising vehicle. You can still see the logo on the side. It cruised around Salt Lake with speaker poles sticking out the top for a number of years and then sat for a long while before ending up at a scrap yard about 10 years ago with a bent shift rod. They thought the trans was gone :rolleyes: It got saved by another local business for a delivery vehicle but they didn't want to put the work into it and it got sold to the guy I got it from who drove it for a little bit until a couple lifters stuck and it started ticking. The thing only has 77k miles on it and runs and drives beautifully.

I will be fixing the holes in the roof from the sound system and likely going with a flake roof and just polishing up the old paint on the sides for now. I will unfortunately be convering the old logo with my shop logo but I plan on taking good pictures for posterity. I also have a set of nice chrome reverse smoothies for it and already pulled an old 60's Eelco shifter handle out of the package and slapped it on there haha. I will fix the remaining rust as I drive and use the thing and one day it'll get a nice full custom paintjob. Already looked through the entire 60's van thread too :D

Anyway, winded story short....here she is. How are all you guys doing? I kinda missed this place!

[​IMG]

2. jerry

jerry

Nice looking ride! And welcome back to the dark side.

Hate to admit it but I can remember those things as new cars! A lot of people got in trouble with sitting out over the front wheels and steering like they were in a normal car. Lots of sideswipes!

jerry

3. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I dig it. Go for it! I like cool weird stuff. Looks nice n solid too

4. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Awesome man! I had one of those a long time ago...good to see you back!

5. So wierd it's cool.

6. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

Yeah, I'm into the weird stuff too...I have never owned a small block chevy and never will. I already have a belly button, ya know. I have always wanted one of these though so it was great that it worked out so well for me to get it.

The thing is pretty damn solid for it's age and neglect so it won't be too terrible to get it straight again but that will come in time since I need to drive it while I finish that up. I can gurantee that it will be like no Corvair van anybody's seen before though.

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

Nice, man. Cool van.

8. sedanbob

sedanbob

I had a '60 Corvair Greenbriar van when I was in the army early 70's. They are prone to overheating on the highway - air goes right by the side intake louvers. A small scoop at the back of the louvers should catch enough air to keep it cool. Keep an extra fan belt with you - they put them through a lot. The screws holding my fuel pump together kept loosening up - result is a spray of gas over the top of the engine. Keep an eye on those screws. Otherwise, I liked the van - short wheelbase, could park in the smallest of spaces. If I can find the one picture I have of it, I'll post it!

9. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

Little update...making some progress. Replaced all the engine seals, new lifters, rebuilt carbs and went through the clutch. Can't beat chrome smoothies with baby moons and skinny white walls. Need to polish up the paint that's there and start filling the holes in the roof before it gets too nasty out.

[​IMG]

10. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Welcome back and good luck with the shop truck