Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyironman, Oct 25, 2012.

1. I'm not used to the cesspool of the internet. I don't know if this is just a bullheaded guy, or a scam. I've not delt enough selling large items online to feel comfortable with this. I'm in Michigan, supposed buyer is in VA (maybe).

I sold my 59 on evilbay after all the local trader magazines, online classifieds, and hemmings failed to produce anything other then low-baller tire kickers.

So, it sold on ebay. Buyer called me and sounded legit. Said he would get a cashier's check mailed off to me and would work on transport arrangements once my bank said the check cleared. He called from a number that was a Washington DC phone# on caller ID.

However, the next day he calls me and says he was planning on getting a loan check from the bank to pay for it...but the bank wouldn't give him the loan to buy the car unless I filled out a whole bunch of paperwork. I told him that was a no-go, and per the terms of the auction, it was cash or cashier's check, any payment other then cash had to clear the bank to my satisfaction before the car or title would be released.

Next, he calls back and says he can pay for it out of personal funds, and will supply a cashier's check drawn on a bank from VA, but he would have a 'friend' pick up the car and title and give the check at pickup. I told him his friend was more then welcome to drop off a check, but the car and title would not be released until my bank said it was OKAY. He got very combative at this, so much to the point that it makes me think something is funny.

I told him if his friend wants to pick up the car, have him bring cash and he can take the car and title right then. He got upset with this and accused me of trying to sell a stolen car since I wasn't willing to do it his way.

Now, the guy claims he is out of the country in Russia on business until November.

Am I correct this whole thing stinks?

2. Gator

Gator

Sounds fishy to me... Stick to your guns.

3. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

4. Stinks like fresh doo-doo. You're doing everything right, don't stop.

5. SS350Sport

SS350Sport
    from Utah

If it smell like sh!t, and looks like sh!t, it's probably SH!T.

6. gutshottt

gutshottt
    from new york

Scammer. Tell him to pound sand!

7. ol fueler

ol fueler

Nope -- Sounds good to me!
    Of course I believe in the Tooth Fairy too!

8. teejay99

teejay99

If it smells like shit , looks like shit ....IT'S SHIT !!

9. katyfattrodder

katyfattrodder

thats a typicall Craigslist SCAM

10. rustang

rustang

Get ebay involved... the earlier the better...

11. It's YOUR car at the moment. Sell it on YOUR terms, only! All others can go kiss a wet fish!

12. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Tell him to send the cashiers check by mail and when your bank says its OK, have his freind come to pick up car and title. Cash is king and you stated it.

13. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

As my hero WC Fields once said, "You can't cheat an honest man"...you sir have a good sense for BS.

14. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Yes, it's a scam. :mad:

15. Wow that has fraud and deception written all over it!

16. Keep the car and report his ass to eBay. Pieces of shit like that guy deserve a good old fashion ass kicking. :mad:

17. shadams

shadams

Dont forget, if it is shit, its going to look like it, and smell like it too.

18. ratman

ratman

No cash no car and make sure its real cash.

19. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

99.9% chance it's a scam. does he have any kind of feedback built up?

20. Cash talks... I won't even accept a cashiers check anymore because even the banks don't always catch the fake ones right away. Screw that guy.

21. Have him do a wire transfer to your bank. Open a new account to transfer into so he doesn't need your primary account number. He will probably disappear fast.

Charlie Stephens

22. tell him to take a hike. has he made the initial deposit yet? did he make it on time?

Look at the statements in bold, how did he go to his bank of he is in Russia?

Contact e-bay with all this information as well.

23. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

GOD BLESS YOU for standing your ground, the buyer is trying to rip you off......

24. nifty

nifty
    from UK

You are right to hold onto the car and title until funds clear.
    I've just bought a car and have had to send money via a bank transfer, wait for it to clear before I'm allowed to collect the car.
    It's the only way I can by a car in the US whilst I'm here in the UK. I have to trust the seller and the transport guy. With a few phone calls to the seller and some feedback on the transport man I feel happy enough to take the chance (it always will be unless you can buy in person with cash).

As the others say, "stick to your guns"

25. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

If he shows up with $100 bills, make sure you have a money marker to check they are legit and check every bill. Costs about $10. I won't accept $100 bills without checking.

26. 2935ford

2935ford

He's looking for a free car.....yours!

27. Money markers only work on fake bills. They will not detect bills that have been bleached and reprinted at a higher denomination. You gotta look "through" the bill at the water mark to make sure it matches the denomination.

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Oh yeah, this one has all the markings of a classic scam. What is his Ebay rating ? I would start with that. Then I would get Ebay involved. They are next to useless (especially for the sellers :mad:) but it is something at least.

You are in the driver's seat (literally). DO NOT FALL VICTIM to this guy. He is giving you all the classic lines......fill out these forms, I am out of the country, etc. Ebay should at least not hit you with the heavy fees if this turns out to be a scammer.

Good luck.

Don

29. BigIrish

BigIrish

My understanding is nowadays not to even accept a cashier's check...period. If you deposit a fake cashier's check, you are the one in hot water and will have plenty of 'splaining to do.

Cash only or wire transfer.