Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frenching 59 Caddie Tail Lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Three Widow's Garage, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

First tech post, know I'll get some crap about the Chinsleazy aftermarket lights, plan on replacing when we can find some real ones. Working on a 34 Plymouth 5w for a friend who wanted lights frenched in the corners. Not having the balls to just start cutting I came up with this solution for fitting and alignment, worked real well and pretty fast aprox 6 hrs total.
    pics will explain better than words
    DSC04399.JPG
    Started by drilling the mounting holes and tacking 1/4 studs in light bases just for assembly ease
    DSC04395.JPG
    Next buit cans, wraped sheetmetal around old drivshaft tube that was the right size, hold with hose clamps,tack weld, cap end, weld, drill holes

DSC04398.JPG
    Then buit simple alignment tool, piece of round stock welded to a disk the same size as the lights, faced on lathe, same studs as lights.
    DSC04400.JPG
    Now you have to find a cardboard tube thats the right size. The cans I built were 3 1/2" diameter found a shipping tube that was a little under 3 1/4" using a sharpie that's 3/8" gives a circle of about 3 5/8" you will have to find a combination that will match the cans your using
    DSC04383.JPG
    Cut the end of the tube to fit aginst the body no need to be exact, I covered the area with tape in case I didn't like the layout easy to change, used a camera tripod to hold the other end, the height adjustment is a big help, aligning at the same angle as the door sill seemed to look the best, not shown in the pic you will want to check with a angle finder for future refrence, You will need to attach the tube with some hot melt glue to hold it in place
    DSC04384.JPG
    Now you will mark the opening by holding the marker parallel and flat aginst the tube
    DSC04394.JPG
    Grab the cut off wheel and some snips and cut away
    DSC04388.JPG
    Now bolt the alignment rod to one of your cans, you need to make a mark on the out side for how deep you want to recess the light, the upper and lower ended up being diffrent due to the curve of the fender. also you want to index the seam in the can so it will be at the top so you wont see it. use your angle finder to check alignment, fore & aft was just eyeballed
    along the edge of trunk opening. Once happy with everything mark around can, slide the can in 1/4" and mark agin.
    DSC04389.JPG
    DSC04390.JPG
    DSC04391.JPG
    Trim to the first line, make relief
    cuts, fold lip
    DSC04403.JPG
    Tack in place, weld it up
    DSC04405.JPG
    A little die grinder flap wheel ect.
    DSC04407.JPG
    Repeat 3 more times

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
    indianbullet likes this.
  2. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Great stuff ,that very much how I did mine ....

Attached Files:

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whew, the trick with the rod to square up and level the tubes would have saved me several hours of fitting when I put Cad lights in my 51 Merc about 25 years ago.

I think I used the post that goes under tables in camp trailers for the tube.

4. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

nice tech thread

5. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

6. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great imfo, a very helpful post ., Thanks

7. kustombypook

kustombypook

That seems so easy, great tech.

8. Good job, thanks for sharing.

9. Yup Looks goods...done well.....

10. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

cool....I love wild tailight treatments on old hotrods...bring back the 60's!!

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good job and it looks great.......chintzy Chinese lights or not. :)

12. gtkane

gtkane

Great post!
    The alignment tricks are fantastic....I was always worried about doing something like that, and ending up with a "lazy-eye" kind of look!

13. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Looks good, nice job . I used 3 inch curved exhaust tubing to follow the curved rounded corners of my fenders.It flows real nice.I have had a lot of guys notice and complement.I did basically what you did but added a little extra style to it.

14. Now lets see someone french 60 Cadillac taillights! ;D

15. 1933BOB

1933BOB

This came out VERY VERY COOL and straight in Jeffs garage (no fancy shop, just intelligent ingenuity) luckly it was my car he decided to try this on.
    100_1730.jpg

16. Zimzimah

Zimzimah
    from France

Old post but still very useful !!! I will follow the exact same procedure to french 59 Tail Lights on my Ford 1939 Coupe.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

always good to have helpful tech info - a little different set up of '59 Cad tail lights on my project '51 Ford

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012