Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead in Model A frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 07travis, Oct 24, 2012.

1. 07travis

07travis

I've been doing some searching, and yes I did use the search function ;), but I'm still looking for flatheads in model A frames. I'm wondering how well they fit if the frame is stock length and the body is in its stock location? I plan to step or Z the frame in the front a bit to get the body to sit lower, but I am wondering if I should add a little more length to the front of the frame as long as I am doing this, or does a flathead fit nice without the added length? Thanks!

2. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

A flathead 8 is very tight in a Model A with stock firewall and radiator in the stock position, but it's done all the time. You might end up dimpling the firewall and inch or two, depending on what kind of fan and pulleys your flathead runs. Most people end up trimming the rear skirt on the Model A front crossmember for pulley clearance as well.

Steering-box and exhaust clearances are also tight, but do-able.

3. Vergil

Vergil

Here is mine, stock firewall, radiator in stock position.

[​IMG]

4. 07travis

07travis

Thanks Vergil! That's what i was looking for. It looks snug in there! I plan to channel the body about 4", so with the way the firewall slants back on these, and to notch the firewall as little as possible, would you suggest lengthening the frame 2 or 3"?

5. I have seen people with 30 / 31's reverse the firewall for extra clearance. Obviously though you will lose room inside the car.

6. AV88

AV88

Don't mess up the fire wall !! just move your front cross member forward as far as you can before the rails start to bend down , I also used a flat front cross member to get it a little lower ImageUploadedByTJJ1351131808.474443.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1351131852.271100.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1351131925.521909.jpg also get rid of the og fan and you can cut the front pully in half giving you another inch good luck let me know if ya need more pics

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  7. 07travis

07travis

Thanks for the help guys!

8. A tub

A tub

yep thats my brothers car, we did the same on mine, mine has stock x member moved forward bout 1.5-2 inches and tacked into place, easy no need to mess with firewall, a friend of ours machined down my harmonic balancer to a single pully instead of a double to gain more room as av88 said, i think steering has been more of an issue for me than fitting motor in, remember this when your building one with flatty, my advise is figure steering whilst fitting engine, best regards A-tub:)