Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Glamor shots of my chopped '53 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atomickustom, Oct 24, 2012.

1. atomickustom

atomickustom

So this is why I try to remember not to drool too much over the cars I see in magazines - cars look better in photos than they do in person!
    My brother-in-law is really into photography all the sudden, so I asked him to take a few shots of my '53. This is what he came up with. He photo shopped out the giant bugs splattered all over my hood!
    The photos are so nice I wanted to show them here (and make one my avatar!) Anyone who has seen my car in person knows it is not as swanky as it looks in these photos, but I'm still enjoying looking at them.

Attached Files:

2. Who are you kidding? Your car looks plenty nice in person! :) Great pics, good job!!

3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kool pics, I've always loved your Chevy. Its a good example of a mild chop.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up in a magazine some day.

Happy Trails, Mick

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

Thanks, guys! Both of your opinions mean a lot to me. But this really was my "learning" car and the next one ('51 Chevy coupe) is going to be the "really nice" one.

Dave, since reading your "undorkifying" thread I put the wide whites on this car and changed out the hubcaps, dropped the rear end another inch, got rid of the amber bulbs in the running lights, replaced my dorky door panels with nice '50s style ones, took the shaded plexi license plate cover off of the front, replaced the repro headlight trim rings with real merc ones (different curve to them), and a couple other things I'm forgetting now. Thanks for making me realize that just because a part of the car is "done" doesn't mean it can't be RE-done!

Mick, I appreciate your compliments as well. Since the ONLY place I take the car is your show in Dewey, I think that one photo this summer will be my 15 minutes in the spotlight.

Speaking of Dewey, I've already reserved my hotel room for Friday AND Saturday night. This year I'm doing it right - no more rushing off. It is my once-a-year car splurge and the only time I spend away from the family these days. Thanks for running it every year.

5. Looks mighty fine to me.

6. I've seen your car at a show or two around here.....it looks nice.

7. poorboy

poorboy

looks great! let's see some pics with the recent changes showing!

8. jwl53

jwl53
    from So cal

Looks good to me!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. atomickustom

atomickustom

Thanks!
    These pics are with the changes. This older photo (10 years ago or so?) shows some of the "before."

Attached Files:

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

nice ride - to be picky, for future glam pics try to find a backround that is not so dark, with a dark car. or, add more front light to help eliminate shadows. have fun.

11. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Looks good from where iam sitting.Also seen the beast.

12. b-bob

b-bob

I like the restraint from not over doing it. Clean looking car.

13. willymakeit

willymakeit

Maybe you'll bring it to the Steak and Shake in Spfld. or the cruie in in Nixa. Nice car. Anything in Joplinto come and see cars at?

14. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If my memory is correct, isnt this the first car that you have chopped? If its not
    true don't correct me because it's a kool story.

15. atomickustom

atomickustom

First time for EVERYTHING: first car I ever chopped, first time I ever frenched headlights or taillights (hence the shrinking/cracking fiberglass on my taillights), first time I ever used a MIG welder, first time I ever did any kind of bodywork at all other than rust repair, first time I ever swapped suspensions, etc., etc.. I had a lot of experience with rust repair growing up in the rust belt (NE Ohio) with no money for nice cars and a love of old ones, but I'd never actually modified one before this.
    Hell, it was even the first time I'd ever held a sawzall! (Bought the saw and welder at Sears on a Monday, made a cart for the welder to learn how to use it on Tuesday, and cut the roof off my car and into pieces later that same week!)

Don't get me wrong, fellas: I LIKE my car and generally it came out pretty good, I'm just saying that these photos make it look nicer than it really is. Good photos can do that!

(And I agree about it being too dark, but my bro-in-law insisted that near-dark and cloudy conditions were ideal to photograph a dark object? Personally I expected to do it in late-evening sun but he wanted cloudy and shade. What do I know?)

16. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Looks good to me, she's got some sassy lines...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  17. Well Dave, that any one gets anything useful from my stuff (other than a good laugh at how many times I can do things over) is humbling. Very few get each build "right" the first time and are usually fine tuning it as they go along. The fact that you ended up with such a cool car right out of the bucket as a first custom build with all the work you did is fantastic. Tweaking the look over time is just part of the fun...or at least that's what I keep telling myself. LOL

18. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Nice chop, glad to see one that isn't chopped too much.

19. atomickustom

atomickustom

I appreciate the compliments, Dave, but you've done more work to your car than a lot of people do when the "build" a car in the first place.

It was my first-ever kustom build, but I spent a lot of time staring at pictures in books and magazines before I did anything. If only the HAMB had existed (or I'd heard of it) when I started!
    Now that the wide whites are on there I stare at it a lot. I cannot believe how that one change altered the car for me.

20. atomickustom

atomickustom

Thanks! I'm 6'3" so I wasn't willing to go much lower. I could have taken out another inch but even now I hit my head if I'm not careful.

21. Dave, I found this thread and I must say I'm even more impressed with your '53 than I was when I saw your avatar. I have a soft spot for the early '50s Chevs and Pontiacs and yours is looking real good! How often are you asked 'when will it get shiney?'? :eek: :eek: ;) :D

Dave

22. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

looks good to me.....

23. Flop

Flop

car looks awesome . nice chop man!!

24. GREASER815

GREASER815

That is a nice looking car. I like that it is a real world car and is not laying on its rockers on your driveway with the front wheels looking like you have about 12" of negative camber.

25. richie rebel

richie rebel

26. lawman

lawman

Looks very very nice !!!!

27. atomickustom

atomickustom

Many thanks to all of you for your positive comments. You are making me feel all warm inside!

28. atomickustom

atomickustom

That means a lot coming from you, Dave! Thanks.

People used to ask me all the time "what color are you going to paint it?" I would say "flat black." But I haven't heard that lately. I guess the flat black thing became so common that people take it for granted.

If this car were my One True Love I'd sort it out a bit more, replace the original chrome and paint it shiny but I already have a '51 coupe - which IS my all-time favorite - in pieces all over my shop and so the '53 is about as nice as it's going to get because I'm pouring all my love and greatly improved knowledge and skill into that baby!

29. brut4s

brut4s

Looks good! How much did you chop it?

30. DJLATIN

DJLATIN