Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Pearl paint question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Oct 24, 2012.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I'm thinking about painting white pearl scallops on my black Chevy. Having never shot pearl paint, I know the process requires spraying a basecoat and then the pearl over top. If I spray a white basecoat and then do a design with fine line tape (just haphazard swirles and what-not) and then shoot the pearl, after I remove the tape and shoot my many layers of clear to cut ‘n buff, will the difference in the white base color and the pearl be too subtle to distinguish? Should I just use another color or what the difference in the whites be enough? I’m wanting to get a cool design inside of the scallops. Thanks!

2. hotrodbuilder32

hotrodbuilder32

You will notice a difference in color, but there comes a point in how many coats of pearl you apply when the pearl saturates the base and all you can see is just pearl wich does not look good . If the effect you are looking for is simmilar to say a new caddillac pearl white I can give you a mix ratio and a formula to get you in the ballpark. It is best to do what is called a letdown pannel first to determine how many coats you need to achieve your desired effect

3. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Yeah, I'd planned on doing test panels first to get my exact mix down and I'll probably experiment with colors and stuff before I finally decide on the graphics I'll be putting in. Thanks!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. It will be like the ghost flame thing,
    right angle,right light, you'll see it.
    More on the subtle side than the in your face side.
    Try a panel first and see if that is the effect you are wanting.

5. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

6. It will be visible if you use enough pearl.

White pearl on white will need more, than say Violet over black.

7. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

It takes a lot of talent to do a job like what is in your link, it also takes many man hours. You could also use a silver pearl just enough to get the efect you want with the white

8. I started to reply earlier and then got called away on an emergency.

Let me explain it to you this way. Pearl itself comes in different hues, as well as types and effects.

Way back when I painted a '40 Ford pearl white with black red tipped flames. The whit base was layed down with white pearl over the top real heavy, then the flames and several coats of clear over that. The white on the car came out real frosty which was the effect we were after. Anytime to blow a tinted oearl over the same color base coat the color appears frosty if you lay it on heavy enough.

What you descrribe that you are after is the opposite of the Ford, you should be able to achieve the desired effect and it should be beautiful.

9. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Thanks, Porknbeaner! I'm not quite sure how subtle it'll be, so I'll have to try out some test panels! Luckily, I can pick up pearl powder for $5 a packet! :p

10. Here is a hint, red pearl over white looks pink. :D

I used to really like Murano pearl it is a liquid, I think that you can still get it. What we used to do was dip a stripping brush handle into the pearl and mix that in our spray gun pot.

The powdered pearls work real well but it may take a try or two to come up with a perfect proportion. You will need to make sure that they are well mixed and held in suspension as well so that you get a uniform color.

11. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

It's been awhile since I've shot paint, but it seems I remember when I did it, I always shot the pearl mixed in with the clear. I would dip a screwdriver in the pearl about 1/2 inch and when it stopped dripping, I would mix that in the pot. Always got primo results. Too much of it will ruin an otherwise good paint job. I used Murano like beaner mentioned.

12. That murano is neat stuff isn't it?

I have used the powders as well. I had an old painter tell me once that when you are using powdered pearl or any type of metalic or flake to pput a nut in your pot ( cup?) and continually swirl the gun. It will help keep it mixed up.

13. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

i used marbles in the bottom ... good ol binks 7

:cool:

14. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Yea...I always kept a marble in mine. The noise was distracting but it kept it mixed. And actually, I think I still have a jar of that pearl in red that has long since gone semi hard. Guess that happens when ya get old, huh?...:D