Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. rodfather28

rodfather28

Hi George
    just been catching up on this thread, do the headers on your L6 fit in the dog house ok or did it need modifying? was thinking of using the headers from classic inlines on mine but before i go to the trouble of shipping them over to the UK was wondering if there were any clearence issues.
    Mick

2. econolineherb

econolineherb

Go to the Econoline groups and get your headers . The over the counter won't work in our Econoines .

3. olgraybeard

olgraybeard

4. buckeye

buckeye

Ok guys I am finally picking up a Econoline pickup after years of wanting one. I have skimmed most of these 103 pages and am wondering if someone can do me a huge favor and give me a quick post of as many links to the limited vendors of parts for these to make my sourcing of stuff needed easier. I know of Mac's and I saw some where in here a link for a drop axle (mine is getting dropped as much as possible before it get expensive (axle flip and drop axle with new shocks looks like it)

5. Hogride

Hogride

Drop Axle part is Easy to get Get. Just Call Nostalgia Sid. W.W.W. Dropped Axles. Com Super Nice Guy. 1-405-416-3080

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  6. tiki_spike

tiki_spike

You guys ever install an electric fan to keep the motor cool? My truck doesn't like idling for a long time or going through drive-throughs...

If you did, I'd love to know which one you used and how you mounted it.

Thanks in advance!

7. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

Howz 'bout some pics!! 3 or 5 window?

-I used Macs for the weatherstriping and seals.
    -Rock Auto for a lot of the mechanical stuff.
    -Right Stuff Detailing in Westerville custom bent some nice stainless steel brake lines. (I was in a hurry)
    -Dennis Carpenter for gas tank pickup and sending unit. (didnt use havent sent back yet.)
    -Ebay for a '69 Mustang 20 gallon gas tank (rendering above Carpenter stuff unnecessary).....a great upgrade BTW.

I'm just "up the street" from you in Gahanna....and visit Jegs on Fri/Sat nights weather permitting.

8. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

First, someone converted mine to a 260 V8....and it has the optional heavy duty remote radiator under the passenger side bed. I figured the e-fan would work fine.......:rolleyes::eek:

I had one sitting on my self from another project. Off-brand, from a Goodguys vendor. It moved quite a bit of air and had it's own shroud. It was not a bargain. Against my better judgement (because of it's size), I had to mount it as a pusher. I had the thermostat set to go at 175-180 degrees. It would not cool I went back to a 6 blade A/C fan from a Falcon conversion. I hope you do better.

9. buckeye

buckeye

I pick it up next day or so, it is a 5 window (I think (been some time since I saw it) and also a Automatic
    Thanks for the post (hogride as well) we it was parked it needed only some patch metal work so I am hoping to not need a ton but ...

I see your in Col if your up for it send me a phone number so we can meet up some time (maybe Cars and Coffee?) I live ten blocks from Jegs BTW

10. Hellfish

Hellfish

I installed an aluminum radiator and a SPAL electric puller fan with my v8. It have never gotten over 190*. When I still had the 170, the stock radiator did ok, but leaked, so I replaced it with a new 1965 6cyl Mustang radiator (had to flip the mounting brackets) and it worked great. It never got above 190*. Maybe you just need a new radiator.

As for parts, Mac's is about it, although some mecahnical parts are available from NAPA, RockAuto, etc. Mac's gets their sheet metal from Mill Supply (same prices). Dennis Carpenter or Bob Drake carry a few parts. There are a few places that make disc brake conversions of varying quality and cost. I run the D&D setup.

This guy makes MC & disc conversions and has cooling solutions.
    http://www.themodernform.com/econoline/econoline_cooling.html

These guys have a few parts, but Mac's has the most.
    http://www.concoursparts.com/

11. tiki_spike

tiki_spike

Thanks guys...
    I have an aluminum radiator in my truck right now, but it still gets really hot. Maybe I need to flush it or something? It shouldn't be running that hot with an oversized aluminum radiator, right?

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

It wouldn't have gotten that hot right from the dealership, so no. I've driven mine in 95* heat both with the I6 (stock radiator) and v8 (aluminum + elec fan) and it didn't get hot, even in traffic... so either you have a problem, or my gauge is bad. :)

Check your timing, thermostat, fan, hoses, etc. Does it get hot only when sitting, after a drive? Does it cool off while driving? What engine are you running?

13. tiki_spike

tiki_spike

Yeah, it does cool off while driving. I have a FE 200 in my truck. It gets really hot when in line at most drive-throughs or in stop and go traffic after driving for a while at speed.

Another question too; Any idea as to where I can find a replacement parking brake wire? I snapped mine when my drive shaft blew out last week (yeah, I know, good times).

14. Hellfish

Hellfish

I got an NOS one on eBay, but you should be able to have one made (it's just a cable with a ball at each end, IIRC), or find one of similar length via RockAuto or NAPA, but it will require a lot of searching

15. tiki_spike

tiki_spike

Right on. Thanks!

16. buckeye

buckeye

So I am having a problem trying to decide if I am going slammed (what I prefer) vs Going Gasser look (not bad but not #1 choice) Anyway I am looking for pics with exact info on what was done to get the pictured ride height. I am wanting to know what a axle flip front rear looks like and or axle flip rear and drop axle front. I am un-willing to get really in depth with this one as I have one race car and a 68 cougar project so I don't need another. Thanks in advance

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

Then you don't want to slam an Econo. If you read through this thread (and others on the HAMB) you'll discover that lowering one more than a couple of inches if a very involved process. It will severely affect the front end and steering geometry requiring a lot of re-engineering, or sub-framing. Lowering the rear any will require notching the frame rails and bed, etc. If you read through this thread and others you will see that it can be done, and done well, but it's not like lowering a 60s car. It's a lot of work.

18. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

One those pick ups is on my bucket list.

19. buckeye

buckeye

Ya I was looking for a pic of a drop front and axle flip rear to see if it is low enough to make me happy. I see many pics in this thread but haven't came across any that are labeled clear that is what was done

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

I flipped the rear axle on mine, then realized that there was very little room for travel before heitting the rails. My friend installed a drop axle on his 64 and it seriously messed up the sterring and suspension geometry. It looked cool, but drove like crap and was hard to steer, even after a lot fo work and corrections. It CAN be done well, but it's a lot of work.

21. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

[​IMG][/IMG]

Here is mine the day I got her. Flipped axles front and rear with no frame section. A lot of bump steer, and slammed the frame in the back. Wen you drove it over a bump, it was like someone took a baseball bat and slammed the van with it.

22. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

This winter I decided to slam the van with air ride, wider tires in the rear, and a body channel, gonna make her into a woody, and finish her off with an old vintage long board on top...So Cal Surf style. Here is the progress.

First to cut the holes in the floor for the frame section.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

23. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Started building the frame section. Gonna wrap the frame with 3/16 around the sectioning.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

24. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

I will be using a rear end out of a Suzuki Samurai. It has 3:73 gears from the factory, 5 on 5.5 lug pattern, and it 9 inches more narrow than the factory Econoline rear. I should be able to fit 15x12 with 325/50/15 drag radials without narrowing the frame.

Here is the frame section tacked in and a shot from outside with the wheels on the Suzuki rear end.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

25. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Next, I cut the hole for the front crossmember for the 4 link.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

26. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Front crossmember tacked in, and rear in sitting in place.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

27. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Got the tires mounted on the wheels today. Pretty big. I think I am going to have to get wheels with an inch more backspacing to make this work. And still 4 inches of body channel to come.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

28. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

29. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Started working n trailing arms for the rear 4 link.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

30. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]