Register now to get rid of these ads!

let my 64' in!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by friggin"A", Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

So pre-64' means 63' and older... and I totally get why. I also understand the pre-49' thing for hot rods.... (talkin about car shows here) just seems there should be some wiggle room, especially with trucks such as my 64' F-100. I've talked to the Viva guys and they said no problem, providing I send a pic, etc., but other shows are very strict. Most "cars" changed styling every year back then, but trucks, not so much. True, my 64' has a bed that actually matches (why they made "wrongbed" non-uni trucks from 61-63' I dunno.... probably because no one really cared about progressive truck styling back then... hence my argument, and why I should be let in without question.

Ultimately whatever rules they decide on is up to them... This topic is just for fun to see what people think. I can always pull out my fake ID (read 30' Model A) and get in anywhere! bwahaha

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Read Ryan's "sticky" about re-focus at the top of the forum page. He states '65 and below, so I guess that includes you.

3. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

I think he's talking about shows that adhere to a pre 1964 cut-off. But I agree that it's kind of ridiculous when some models didn't change much for a few years.

4. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

Nice! I wasn't talking about HAMB events though unfortunately they've just been a little too far for me... maybe one day I'll make it out there.

Just read the sticky, but I knew thats always applied to the HAMB. I like the 65' "and below" thing better than "pre" it's less of a tease. 65' seems like a better cut-off anyway... and there's one new Riv owner that I'm sure doesn't mind either!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

5. So, do we know exactly WHY Ryan and the OG HAMBers picked 1964???

I have a guess, lets see what everyone else thinks. Bit of a HAMB "history" lesson tonight. No fair telling us if you were "in" on it!

6. ibuild

ibuild

i build mine to drive, when they have rules you have to go by them, never understood sitting in the hot sun all day at a show when you could be driving, good luck

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The hamb has been 65 and under since 1995.

8. n847

n847

The 65 cut off is to keep away the muscle car guys! There's dozens of posts on here about it!

9. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

To keep the mustangs away?

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

doesnt matter. 1964 Ford pickups arent traditional hot rods anyway

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

Call it a 63 and be done!

12. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

my op was just about car shows that are pre-64'... but seems like there's always a bit if grey area with the whole 64'/65' thing. I saw someone get turned away once from a show which is why I should probably make sure first. His ride was extremely traditional while some at the show were iced out in billet... their rules, their show, but still sucky.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  13. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

No, they're not. What doesn't matter?

14. Deuces

Deuces

I don't even know what a '64 Ford pickup looks like...:confused:

15. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

http://f-100xl.info

16. von zipper

von zipper

My 64 was the "newest" car at the Hala Kahiki show last weekend! I GET IT!! I like these shows better than the post 65 and up shows! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350951493.484567.jpg

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Muscle cars/ Mustangs and the ilk = different breed of cat. That was the change over from what we see as primary traditional rods and customs and the advent of the walk in and buy it off the show room floor super car.
    Outside of some real barn burner factory cars the 65 pre 65 cutoff works pretty good and even those are pretty special cars in their own right and don't fit in the super car thing.

No car show format or cutoff is going to suit everyone. We still have guys who think that it should be Ford only and pre fat fender only. Others still lament the loss of the 48 and earlier cutoff myself included. Still others whine because their car is too new for some shows.

The local "big" rod trot the Vintiques NW Nationals went to 72 and earlier a few years ago due to low numbers in recent years due to competing with Hot Augest Nights and some of the guys not traveling so much or so far due to costs. The majority of the post 60 cars and trucks fell into the filler car bracket this year. While there were some great rods and several incredible super cars in the mix there were too many 60 something and early 70 beaters that looked worse than some of the rides out in the parking lot. One was even a dead ringer for my grandfather's old 72 Dodge Polara 4 door sedan right down to the color of the paint. The show used to be one of the best in the northwest if not the country and now it's about like walking through Walmart parking lot on the first of the month.

18. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

I don't even go to many "shows" but some have really started to turn me off because of what you describe.... I really have to watch it too, cause ill make a "sour lemon" face while passing by some cars owner. I don't want to offend... but some dudes even look pissed if you don't stop and look at their 72' Eldorado on your way to the 49' Merc.

19. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

It would seem like the 65 rule would keep out the Camaro crowd and the ricers... unless they have these... [​IMG]

20. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Way to much dick waggin going on here lately. Read Ryan's post and be done with it. Lets see the car F.F.
    J

21. ryno

ryno

kinda like we where talking about at the strip yesterday!
    i think people get too wrapped up in the whole car show deal anyways.i mean, does it really make that huge of a difference to ya if you cant pay more to park your car in the show rather then saving some money,and parking out of the show, leave when you like.

i dont know maybe im different,but i build my stuff to drive to events in, not really for the event in its self.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Don't go to the show.

23. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

You know what's funny man... I'm being totally hypothetical anyway, I've always done the same.... parked, and walked in, never actually entered anything into a show.

24. So a 63 vet is in and a 67 is out. I cannot tell the diff. I think I am just learning what this site is about.

When I was in auto shop at Burbank High in 1962, the second year kids were doing cool stuff. One guy put a Caddy in a Studibaker (Studilac), another put a Buick in a 48 Merc sedan and that sort of thing. I think that is what Hamb is about.

Tim

25. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

Gotta love guys full of the attitude that they're too cool to put their cars in a show, all while driving to a car show to look at other cars. I know, how about nobody enters their cars in shows anymore? That way there are no more car shows to go to, and none of us will have to bother walking past cars we don't like with a labored indignant look on our faces.

26. Fenders

Fenders

1964-1/2 and 1965 Mustangs are welcome here.
    Duh!

27. Fenders

Fenders

So this was a troll.....

28. Huge Cooler, long walks to the parking lot for a refill...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.