Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963 Cadillac transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53fordcustom, Oct 20, 2012.

1. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

So I got bored and picked up a 1963 Cadillac fleetwood with the original 390 motor and transmission. Car has 67k on it.. Transmission is out, reverse only, s**t happens.. We all know that, time to make something work. Admittadly I have only done a little bit of research on some Cadillac forums, but I'm looking for some advice on my easiest course of action to get this 390 back in there and driving. I know somebodys been down this road before so what did you end up doing? If anybodys got a swap, parts suppliers, anything that doesn't lead to me searching the ends of the earth for rare transmissions would be helpful.. What can you tell me?

2. ryno

ryno

be prepared to spend some cash. that 63 is a one year only motor also.

3. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

So I hear.. With the 63 & 64s

4. texasville64

texasville64
    from texas

Check with Jason at 6364cadillac.ning.com. I am a member there and he has been a great help with mine.

5. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

Really? Nobody can help me out??

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ok, let's look at your options:

The "easiest" way to go would either be to find a good used unit to replace yours, or to have a competent trans shop rebuild yours. Problem here is, a used one might be exactly what you have now, or might fail soon. Having one rebuilt is also a problem because most transmission shops today do not know anything about these older transmissions, and it will be expensive, if you do find one.

Another option is to swap in a later, more modern transmission using one of the available adapters. Bendtsen's Transmission sells the one below.

[​IMG]

It will still not be cheap or easy, as the kit costs about $800, plus the cost of a transmission and driveshaft modifications. You would also have to build a crossmember and fab up other linkages and hookups. BUT, you would have a modern transmission that any shop can service and repair.

You are going to get away easier and cheaper if you score a good, used unit. But sometimes it is better to bite the bullet and do it right the first time, even if it costs more money and work. You are going to spend a couple grand, no matter how you slice it, unless you go the used transmission route.

Don

7. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

I will check out Bendtsen's. Not afraid to modify a driveshaft and alter some other aspects.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have a '63 390 and discarded the original trans because of gheir poor reputation and odd ball status.....I like Bendtsen's products and have purchased a Buick adapter from him. That said, in all fairness, Wilcap also offers an adapter for this application and I have one of those.

Overall, I think Don's advice is on the money.

Ray

9. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Wasn't tat a Slim Jim in that Caddy? A real POS, IMHO!

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

WRONG.

1959 -1963 all used a 390 motor. Intake changes were made depending on the model.

1964 Had a better transmission, and yes, you can bolt a 64 trans right up to that 390. Something to think about.

12. roughneck424

roughneck424

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

True, the years you mention all did have a 390, but the '63 390 only shares the displacement. The '63 390 is is the forerunner of the '64 429, not a direct extension of the prior 365/390 series. If I recall correctly, the '64 429 got the BOP block/trans pattern and the '64 trans is not compatible with a '63 390 block.

Ray

14. ryno

ryno

ok, I've only had a few of them, you MUST be right........

yes you are correct sir.
    nothing from a early 390 will work on the 63 model, some 429 stuff will though, but not trannys.

I've had a few 63 rebuilt by a older local guy that knows his shit, and like any pre 64 Cadillac trans, if set up correctly work well.

15. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

If, I remember correctly Cadillac never used the Slim Jim trans.

16. roughneck424

roughneck424

I had my 63 cad transmission "Jet a Way" overhauled. Have ran the heck out of it in hot ass Bakersfield and my car is the heavy Limo. I like the smooth shifting of that trans and it's unique with "R" in the low hole spot. I don't think it's a lemon or anything like that. I would go that route again.

17. Get an adapter and use a TH400 trans.

18. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

Thanks everyone.. Defintely have some options I can explore

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I jerked a 63 390/400 combo out a 4drht decades ago. It seemed to me that the bellhousing on the 63 was very similar to a Chevy. I'm going back to the early 70s on that one so I could be off. The early 63s did have the old hyrdamatic, like a jetaway. Mid year they switched (?) to a conventional turbo-hydro. What's your shift indicator,PNDLR or PRNDSL?

20. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ah Ha !!! the legendary, but rare, Dual Reverse mode tranny :D

Ray

22. Check FATSCO online for parts and kits for the tranny. It's not gonna be cheap.

23. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Agree on that.
    GM was stumbling and fishing around for a better design in the early to mid 60's, and until they got the THM350 and 400 standardized, they ended up givingt us some real nightmares.

Jetaways, Slim Jims, PowerGlides with solenoid controlled variable pitch torque converters, you name it, and some were real pieces of automotive crap.

The good news is, you can swap any of this stuff out with a 350, a 400, a 700, or what have you, be much happier, and nobody willknow unless they crawl under your car, and even then, they'd understand..

24. 53fordcustom:

Interested in any of this? 2ea 63 390s. 1 rebuilt and the other I bought for parts as it has 100% of the bracketry I was looking for. I do not know the condition of the tranny. I was going to use this in "something" but lost interest. Actually I was going to put it in 49 Ford sedan but sold the sedan. PM me if you want to discuss.

Tom

25. Forgot the photos

Attached Files:

26. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

I have a 390 and Jetaway tranny in my '62 but am thinking of an engine swap.... If i decide to sell mine, I will post it here.

27. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The dual coupling Jetaway Hydra-Matic was a durable trans and they worked ok. They definitely weren't junk. On thr other hand, all things considered the TH 400 was a better trans, and given the choice I would rather have one of those. To put this in perspective, Rolls-Royce could have used any trans in the world, or made their own, and they used this trans in their cars. Point being, if you decide not to switch to a TH 400 don't feel like you are settling for something that's a piece of crap.