Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Kids 1932Ford 5 Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hallrods, Oct 21, 2012.

1. hallrods

hallrods

We started building this car when my son was 15. I wanted to finish it before the 75th anniversary of the deuce. He had other plans. He is 24 years old now and says he would like to finish it I also would like to get it done before my father doesn't want to do anything with cars any more. I think it would be cool having 3 generations in 1932 fords. How do I keep him motivative to finish this car. I told him I would help in any way to finish this car but I won't build it for him. Working on the car with him to me is priceless. We just moved the car back to my garage, but we moved it twice before and nothing got done. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Show him pictures and videos of deuce 5Ws in action.. Especially the traditional ones. Brainstorm with him on what he wants to do to it, suggest different wheels, intake, paint, etc. Help him get his train of thought moving on what he wants to do with it. It looks like you guys are off to a great start with this one.

If he's not motivated to do it and you can't seem to keep him motivated, then he may just not be into it as much anymore. I'm 24 myself and it's hard enough for me to work on my Model A with school and life getting in the way frequently.

3. pitman

pitman

4. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Adopt me - ill finish it with you, and ill even call you dad

5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Especially when showing him pictures, ask what he thinks of them. Get his input on their selection of parts. Here are a few of my personal favorites:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But I would have to say my favorite of them all is Jim Busby's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. hallrods

hallrods

7. hallrods

hallrods

Heard that before from some guys at work thanks anyways.

8. pitman

pitman

The Lad show good taste! :D

9. hallrods

hallrods

So far it's the way he wants it. He bought a 6 speed tranny from a camaro and he wants a 671 blower. He even picked out a paint for it. We made a roll cage for it and he wants racing seats with a aluminum interior. He likes traditional cars but isn't that religious to them.

10. brady1929

brady1929

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

man if you dont have motivation to finish a 32 with a hemi in er...... idk lol. but seriously just get the juices flowing. look at cars you are influenced by. look at silly youtube clips. sometimes hearing a bitchin hemi fire up or whatever just gets you in the mood to work on your ride

12. Get it running as is. The coolness of the hemi running will do the rest. If that doesn't do it, I don't think anything will.

13. hallrods

hallrods

I agree about getting the hemi running if that don't get the boy going nothing will.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The passion can't be forced.

15. hallrods

hallrods

I had a buyer for it twice he could have made good money but he wouldn't sell it. I hope he is getting to the age were it's alright to do things with your old man again.

16. RAG66

RAG66
    from WASHINGTON

Show him all these opinions and positive feed back. That thing has got to run.... BLOWN HEMI :eek: !!!

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe he thinks he's just not ready. If it's in him, he'll come around at HIS time.

18. hallrods

hallrods

I just hope it's before my dads time or mine runs out

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Is he really into cars ? As others asked, does he show any passion at all for it?

My son does and while we don't like the same type of cars we enjoy working on projects together when we can.

Maybe he has other priorities in life right now?

The other factor, does he have the needed finances to finish the car ?

It looks pretty good at this point.

20. Plan a weekend run in yours, just you and him. Then maybe he will see how great it would be to go on a run with dad in his own car. Works for me........

I only know I would give anything to have my son back and be able to go on a run with our cars.................

21. hallrods

hallrods

He always went to the streetrod nationals and Back to the 50's when he was little. He brought his girlfriend to Back to the 50's this year and she had fun there with us. He goes to Iola with us every year and he just bought the 6 speed tranny for it. We have everything from the gauges to the wiring harness seats, he built the headers. He is working as a certified welder and I will help with financing if he needs it. He said he wants to get it done for his Girlfriends graduation from college.

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

well shit man, sounds like hes getting parts for it and everythings gonna line up for the rest of the build. i think as soon as yall get in there messin with it, itll get the juices flowin

23. hallrods

hallrods

I told him when I found and bought my fathers old 31 dodge with a hemi the first thing I was going to do with it was back it into his drive way and light them up and make his house look like it was on fire. Then I was going to my Dads house and doing the same thing. My sons house to show him what a hemi can do and my fathers because he should have bought the old car and restored it.

24. hallrods

hallrods

It's been 2 weeks and my kid is keeping his word and working on it. He works on it 3rd shift because he has a two week lay off and he is use to working at night. Some things changed in the last 5 years and now he is installing a 6 speed tranny and moving the motor mounts back for a blower,also finishing the mounts for the roll bar. Hope to have the frame painted by the end of the month.

Attached Files:

25. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Thats whats cool about 32's, it's an open canvas to create. Just no wheels larger than 18" and no billet.

26. hallrods

hallrods

Not to worry he likes the fenton wheels he has on it and the only aluminum he wants is door panels with a little bead rolling on them.