Register now to get rid of these ads!

6x2 Blower Top - a little progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tudor, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Check out the 6 2s on top of the 6-71. That is one of Savages sexy assed blower tops. Nice work Savage - mine is serial number 0010. Still working the pulley's out, I am going to end up running a 2" gilmer belt and be like 70% underdriven to start with. I think I am now going to be able to keep my mechanical fan. It was a major accomplishment for me just to get the blower to the house ready to go with the drive because I did it as cheaply as I could. It all started when my buddy gave me a 671 straight off a diesel. I sold that one to a local guy then won an auction for a rebuilt 671 off of ebay. Then I had to find a cheap drive. Found that on ebay too.

A lot of people ask what all has to be done to a diesel blower to run it on the street. First of all you have to take the rotors out and flip them around and swap the bearing plates from end to the other on the housing. Then the guy triple pins the drive gears to the rotors, timed the rotors so they are in the correct relationship to each other clearance wise, pinned the bearing plates to the housing to maintain the rotor to housing clearances once they were set. He changed the rear bearing plate to a magnesium littlefield plate with a dog bone cover that goes over the bearings. I should have gotten the front one too but I was trying to save money so I used the original 671 front cover. You'll never see the rear plate but it has better bearing support so it will at least work better than using the 671 rear bearing plate. He also changed the bearings - rear one are regular sealed bearings and the front are oil bath. The front of the case has oil and is sealed.

The engine is a 283 - 30 over. I have a 292 Clay Smith solid lift blower cam, 882 heads with 1.95 1.50 stainless valves, I had the machine shop set the springs at 140 lbs seat pressure per the cam specs. I can't remember what the cam card had on it but it was a fairly moderate lift cam - like 465 or something. I'll check that and update it.

The carbs are holley 94’s. I am going to run the outer carbs as dumpers without idle circuits, modified bases so the butterflies close completely when shut. They’ll be actuated with progressive linkage. I think I’ll open up the front two then the rear two so all 4 don’t get slammed open at the same time.

Then for the center carbs I have two holley 94 2110s – the large cfm 94’s with idle circuits. It ought to act just like a GM tri power just times 2. Dickster is building the carbs for me.

The car has 3.80 gears and a 4 speed. It ought to be a screamer. Just thought I'd see what you guys thought about the motor combination.

Attached Files:

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What, you can't fit eight of em on there..?

Looks killer. -Abone.

3. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Holy shit man that looks great!

4. Thanks dude - want to donate those FI stroms??????? ha ha - I saw those on ebay.

Hey Jeff - If it had been a pocho I would have had to have 8. :D

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Josh, that looks bitchin, this car is going to be so much better then the sedan. I like what I see.

Damn, are those my nicely painted chevy valve covers we traded for.. OUCH...

6. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Yeah i changed my mind and their still on the car.

7. Thanks Boones - no those are some 10 dollar swap meet specials - they are beat to shit. I have something real nice planned for the valve covers. :D

8. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

fuckin sweet brother. good thing you rebuilt that motor before puttin all them carbs on. I can't waite to ride in that thing (thanks for unchanneling so I can fit!) it's gonna rock.

9. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Nice to see someone put one of those to good use. Looks killer!

10. Jeezus, Josh, that is looking great. Right on brother.

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

DAAAAAAMN!!! thats nice.

12. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Re diesel blowers on hot rods, another good tip I picked up years ago was to make up steel support rings to fit around the bearings in both bearing plates so you can use the stock bearing plates.I,m afraid the picture isn,t very good but I had to scan it.

Attached Files:

13. Yes that would help and reinforce the metal around the bearing.
    I spoke with Dickster yesterday - the dumper end carbs are done - woo hoo.

14. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

I think I just CAME

Awesome

15. hayden1951

hayden1951

I just came across your post about your 6x2 carb adaptor.How did it work out? Any thing you would of done different? im just starting my first blown motor.I got an old crager 6-71 and i want to run 6- 94s.tHANX.

16. ahgarageohio

ahgarageohio
    from ohio

That is badass!!

17. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

Man that is sick. im wanting to do that with a sbc of mine. How much does he charge for the blower plate just curious?

18. Check out www.savagespeed.Com if i remember right. He sold them for 500. Man this is a blast from the past! I ended up changing directions and sold the carbs. I still have the 6x2 adapter.

19. holy shit....2006! wow that's a blast from the past.

amazing how far you have come with the coupe'

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I was in ATL for a 3 hr lay over on Friday. I thought about how long since i have seen some of your guys on that side of states...

21. Ken! Give a shout if you're nearby!