Register now to get rid of these ads!

RV Cam???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fts55, Oct 17, 2012.

1. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I sold a lot of RV cams back in the Jimmy Carter "gas crisis" days the 70's smog motors with air pumps,low compression and retarded timing really killed off low end and mid-range torque and gas mileage.Guys that bought pickups and added campers and towed boats and trailers and attempted pulling the higher elevations in Nor-Cal and Oregon were really pissed at the factory junk and wanted more power,several cam grinders came up with RV mileage grinds the Offenhauser Dual-Port and Edelbrock Streetmaster intakes became hot items as well as hotter ignitions and the Holley Economaster Carbs and small primary headers were all big sellers.One item that got big praise was the Turbo-charger kits offered by Ak Miller $650 and 5 hours labor and you had a lot more pulling power even at high altitutes and 5-6 more MPG.Crower still has the RV-mileage cams available, my test mule 283 '65 El Camino pulled 25-56 MPG highway with a Streetmaster and 500 CFM Carter with 1 1/2" primary headers and still ran low 15's on the strip.

2. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

Anyone running one of these now?

3. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

Seems like I've only heard GM guys talk about them.

4. I still offer them as an engine upgrade >>>>.

5. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

See there, it's all about getting the "combination" correct for the job you will be doing with the motor. Well done.

6. My brother and I put a lot of RV cams in 305 chevies when the stock cam went flat on a lobe or 3 - Ran way better than a 7 cylinder cam, and better than the stocker when it was all there.

7. slammed

slammed

Exactly, matching the components to the intended use/goal. Fine tuning and details.

8. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Another build with the correct "combination" for the intended purpose.

9. yruhot

yruhot

The problem with the decrease in gas mileage with the rv cam is that like any other engine mod that makes a motor run better it's damn near impossible to keep you big fat foot out of it.lol. Guilty as charged. It's so much fun but not good at all for gas mileage. yruhot............doug

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It was a term that was invented so guys that replaced thier stock weak/suckass cams with aftermarket weak/suckass cams could sound cool, just like everyone else.
    It spawned a whole generation of similar terms for example; Cant paint/do bodywork? suede! cant build a decent car? rat rod! Cant build motors/make power? "torque" motor. ect,ect, ect.

11. slammed

slammed

Muscle car guy's need not apply, try another forum George.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^So they let you out on a day pass again??:p

13. i bought my first RV camshaft in the late 80's from the shop that did the machine work on the 350 chevy in my `28 tudor because he recommended it. he is a top race motor builder that i have a lot of respect for , and so far his advice has been right on. i'm very happy with it. if anyone wants to come over and drive my car and see for himself you are welcome.

i have since then used the same spec cam in many motors with good results , my `36 coupe has one too

FWIW.....the spec's are the same as the Edelbrock performer camshaft

14. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

I put a Melling MTC-1 cam in a 355 SBC, it helps to promote the dynamic compression ratio. Oddly enough it was the same as an Edelbrock Performer cam. No lope at all, but put out 195 psi on the cranking compression test. Torque was very impressive, idle to 5500 RPM. A great cam for a truck or heavy vechicle.

From feedback from other users, they were kind of pissed that it did not lope at idle, but was a tire melter off the line. It is an option for those wanting torque but won't sound racy enough for a hotrod.

15. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, and TRW (RIP) and Sealed Power also sell/sold a cam with the same specs. I've run several cams with these specs. I like 'em.