Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can you define a "traditional" 40's hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Modeljunkie, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

...hmmm, maybe I can fit in a catogory after all!..."hooch hauler" :D..thanks!

2. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

...startin to see the 54 kaiser supercharger I have won't be correct then...oh well, I can live with that one...and maybe a few of your McColluch decals...maybe a custom McColluch decal saying "injection is nice but I'd rather be blown" under the pic. ;)

3. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

This pretty much sums it all up...it should be required reading for all members here...especially noobs

4. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

And I was always under the impression that a "hooch" was a girl of somewhat questionable morals:D

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

haha well i guess it depends if youre running with corn liquor in the trunk, or you just had a lonely night. either way your haulin hooch i suppose hahaha:D

6. firingorder1

firingorder1

Anymore "traditional" is whatever you want it to be.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Whew! What a relief! I just cant IMAGINE the pain of not having a convenient buzz word to describe my car!! The HORROR!

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats a "hoochie". Or if your REALLY traditional, a "Jezebel".:D

9. GearHead614

GearHead614

10. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

Yeah, I get the sarcasm, but you know all the catch phrases for cars today....custom, ratrod, hot rod, street rod, pro steet, pro mod, unmolested{as found}, tradtional...it's a car...my car/your car, that's all...but at least maybe I can know what the masses call it per catogory- if that matters to one.:D
    Remember, I'm simply asking what the term{s} mean{s}, not trying to fit in one or any of them... :eek:;)

11. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

Wow, nice pics! Iteresting for me, being only 47yrs old, I guess I imagined more 40's cars being fixed up in the 40's but it was the earlier, lighter, cars that they used back then...learn something new every day I guess. That's why I'm here!
    Ok, so, if I ever get to the salt flats I guess I can be a pusher with my sedan for anyone with a T or an A....with my flathead 6's torque, I can pull a small house down...slowly. :D

12. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a few to look at. Flat heads, inlines and banger OHV conversions. All fun to ride in and pretty representative of what the thinking was in that era.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

13. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

[​IMG]
    this old Jalopy was parked in 58, pulled out of a long sleep in 08.

typical example of 40's budjet built hot rod. The patina is NOT from that erra, for it was aquired in the long storage process. The car originally had a nice coat of pastel house paint brushed on not sprayed :) During mechanical restoration owner found head was milled, 125 over pistons, oiler mods.

early examples of gas welding throughout build, pretty cool old rod overall

14. Those are nice, but not 'period correct' or even 'traditional' rods of 1940's.

I have to agree with what's been posted here and elsewhere - there is a difference between 'nostalgic', 'traditionally styled', 'traditional', and 'period correct'.

IMHO 'nostalgic' and 'traditionally styled' cars represent the overall attitude or 'feel' - they denote a general movement or trajectory where 'traditional' and 'period correct' represent a much more defined tie with materials, methods, components used during a specific era (pre-war, 40's, 50's, etc.).

Sure, people built MorDoors, MoPars too...I believe much of the response in this thread is a result of how these builds seem to be the norm nowadays rather than the exception they were historically.

My suggestion is that if you are REALLY interested in building a period-correct Rod or Custom, find a prototype or two and copy profusely.

15. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

He's right. If you ask most people nowdays they have no idea what was traditional unless they have grey or no hair. Even then they will describe what they liked rather than what was out there. I grew up in Las Vegas in the late 50's and 60's. My step dad had a 50 Ford and my mom drove a late 50's Ford 2 door with a "Thunderbird" engine as she used to say as she gunned ayay from the green traffic lights. Trucks were only used for work and no kid wanted to be seen in a stationwagon. And for the muscle car crowd - Nobody ran steel wheels longer than their 1st paycheck, then it was "Mags". They bought what they saw at the drag strip.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wow, some SERIOUS justification goin' on NOW.

17. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Nice .someday I hope to be lucky enough to own something like this.:D

18. Why not build it as a nice period mild custom? Seems like there were a few Plymouths and Dodges built that way in the postwar era...even some 4doors. Lots of these had warmed over engines as well.

[​IMG]

I believe Al Twitchell's 40 was a 4-door...do a google search on it & see if you can find more info

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. thunderplex

thunderplex

STOP!!! Hot rodding was, and still is, about making the car you liked and could afford, go faster and look better according to your own vision and the size of your wallet.

20. That's Lee Petty's '49 that he ran during the end of the 49 and 1950 Grand National Seasons. No mods to the motors on those...at least, not legally. They were truly 'stock cars'.

Nonetheless, the Plymouths were good runners in the 49-51 seasons. One, driven by Johnny Mantz won the inaugural Southern 500 - NASCAR's first superspeedway race (and first 500-miler). The margin of victory was several laps - against the big OHV Olds and Caddys. Fords and Chevrolets were a non-factor during the first 3 years of NASCAR Grand National racing.

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Cadillac, and Oldsmobile for that matter (their OHV v8 came in 49 as well) were not Chevy. So no, 55 was the first year for the venerable SBC

Not even close to 40's style.

22. Speaking of NASCAR...here's a shot (one of my favorites) from the 1950 Darlington Southern 500. Johnny Mantz's '50 fastback being tailed by Glenn Dunnaway's '49 4-door.

They really did 'run what they brung'.

[​IMG]

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You can build ANY car and fit it into that mold, but that doesn't make it a hot rod. It's a car that got restyled by it's owner. Cool? Perhaps. Fast? Maybe. A hot rod? Open to debate.

IMO, first, a hot rod is pre '48. It also can't be a four door, COE, van, station wagon, Hudson, Volvo, etc. Just because a couple guys built a fast hearse, that don't make it a hot rod. What has happened is that people have morphed and abortioned the word so much that it can no longer be defined as a general term. That being the case, each person has to decide what his car is or should be called.

I call my T Bucket a hot rod and my definition won't fit everyone elses. Is everyone elses opinion wrong? Nope, it's just different.

As to answer the OP's question, pick up some issues of the first 10 years of hot rod magazine. That MAY answer your question. If you ask it here, you're going to get 200,000 different answers and none are wrong.

And those cars in post# 46:confused:... only 1 of those are "traditional" and it's borderline at best.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  24. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

tomorrow could be your lucky day! Fuel up that avitar, fill the trunk full of homemade blackberry wine, bring that fat caddy over to my house:)

25. Awesome. This pic 'does' it for me. Simple, timeless, classic.

26. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

Nice pic- 41 ply b/c body, but what's the grill?...looks like 50 ply?

27. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

Actually that's where I'm headed with the car....lowered 3"-4"{nothing major} skirts, visor, spots, 39 ply dash w/ custom gauges, and custom interior. I love the lines on my old girl and wouldn't want to chop it up...a 265 chrysler block in favor of the 201{I likes my flatheads and how often do you see them today?!..they should be preserved too}, and "maybe" send the kaiser s/c off to Erb to get rebuilt and installed....for added fun.
    If "cruiser" was an official catagory I'd be heading for that.

28. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Modeljunkie.....You have ask a loaded question, And will get about 10,000 diffren't replies from a bunch of "1940's hotrod experts" who were not even born yet. then they will start arguing among each other about a time in history they never even seen, until this thread is closed by a mod......I have seen many post just like yours here and they all seem to go the same way. Just build what you like and Fuck what other people think!!....

29. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

...yeah, seems I unknowingly did. Really didn't want all or any of us to get worked up over the whole thing...wanted a simple answer and found there isn't one that everyone can agree to.
    ...sorry, did get alot of input on it though.....thanks folks

30. 327Eric

327Eric

Mill the head, maybe dual carbs, add a sunvisor and wide whites, maybe spotlights for the 40's look. Otherwise, buy some old mags and do the research. Rods and customs were different from coast to coast. East coast was more add on, and west coast was more minimal in terms of body chrome. (and that is my interpretation from the old mags i scored, and my great uncle's stories)
    Its hard to say what guys did if you weren't there. In 50 years, guys will say only Hondas were "hot rodded" in the late 90's, 000's, But i'll be damned if i didn't see a hyundai with a fart knocker exhaust tip and some dumb wheels the other night. There was always someone with a different than "the trend" car, looking to fit in, or just liking what they had, and wanting to look better and go fast, or get the girls.