Register now to get rid of these ads!

are these traditional rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalliatic, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'd have to agree also....

Not my cup of tea really, but whatever.....

2. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

At the time of the builds they were real over the top !!

The Browneck Bandito, Purple people eater and Plowboys car is still and always will be bitchinn

3. 51flathead

51flathead

4. like a street rod?:confused:

5. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Just regular hot rods I geuss

6. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

You got that right. Fancy rat rods. The last show I attended so guy had paid 18k for a 32 roadster body, then spent a ton of money with a supercharged hemi. Said it got 6 mpg, I doubt it would get that.
    Traditional all right.

7. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

Never thought I'd see the day when some people would consider the Atomic Punk and Purple People Eater "Fancy Rat Rods"!!!!

8. $teamer

$teamer
    from barnsville

It's called "Hot Rodding" Where a person can modify a car to what he [or she!] wants. You don't have to like it. I always thought the "East Coast" stuff was overdone and the "West coast" was the way to fly but you can imagine what they [East Coast] thought of us [West Coast] and what about the guys in the middle? I don't even know what to call them! Lol ! Once upon a time metalflake was in -it's almost like woman's clothing now!
    And beaters-remember them?

Attached Files:

9. slammed

slammed

Seeing critics of these cars and join dates of the last couple of years. Esp. 'street rods' or resto stockers is not surprising. These cars are extreme in ever sense of the word. Really some of you can keep it to your selves. The guys who built the majority of the OP pix are legend here on HAMB town.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well one is a Quasi altered race car and one is a bubble show rod built in the mode of 60's bubble top show rods. The rest I'd have to call show rods or cars that resemble the show rods of the 50's and 60's. There were a bunch of them on the show circuits in the 50's and 60's but most of them didn't even have guts in the engines then.

11. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

X4, I like the Punk quite a bit

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have seen more then one video of the Atomic punk running down the road on here and we have see videos of the purple (oops brain fart) drag car making hard passes down the drag strip, I don't know anything about the others.

13. tomcat11

tomcat11

ROT ROD Magazine 1961

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  14. mynode

mynode

Probably to increase weight transfer to the rear wheels for drag racing.

15. SIX_94Y

SIX_94Y
    from Australia

From outside yeah! Not so sure how you'd go sitting inside!

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it's not an actual car, it is just an engine stand with a Model A body.:eek:

17. NeedFiber

NeedFiber

Come on now...those are traditional customs or done in the style of.

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Where in the hell am I? I think I need to finish off the 6 pack and get to bed. Or should I get an early jump on the second one?

19. deto

deto

So if an FNG built something as radical as the purple people eater would it be defended or would we burn him at the stake? Just curious...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

20. autobilly

autobilly

It's there.
    [​IMG]

21. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

I call it 2005-12 style rods, not very traditional in a sense. Every decade seems to have its style, 50s 60 70s 80s 90s now 2000s. I see alot of cars lately that don't really qualify as "traditional" not because of the parts they use but mainly because of the style. Its like the new rendition of what people think is traditional, like slammed to the ground, over chopped with flake and laced roof, or a metal flake roadster with artillery wheels and a hemi. Its whats trendy. O

22. deto

deto

Is this the monochromatic paint schemes of 2012?!?! Only time will tell...

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Defining 'traditional' on here. That seems to be right up there with figuring out politics and religion. Hopeless cause and mostly a gigantic waste of time in self pleasuring. It seems to be more in tune with fight club, first rule is you don't talk about it. If you have to talk about it, you are already headed in a bad direction. Usually the people who claim to know the most, usually end up proving they actually know the least.

You know when you see it. If you have to ask or preach about it, it probably isn't. But, even if it isn't, does it really matter? Is it the end of the world?

24. the brown neck bandito was built in the late 90's and was DRIVEN.

25. autobilly

autobilly

Marky is an "FNG".

26. Well, wasn't he the Rat Fink?

They're show rods, or in the style of show rods, from a period in the 60s when form was sometimes valued over function and you scored points in a show by how many modifications a car had. Actually most of those are fairly tame compared to some of the crap that got built. And there are a lot that didn't even run, one custom that got bashed to death on here a while back was featured in a magazine and the current owners said there was no way the car could have run with the motor that was in it last - there wasn't room for a starter and the exhaust wasn't hooked up. At least the current ones usually can be driven.

27. deto

deto

I know not of this marky you speak of...

28. Deuces

Deuces

You could say that.....:rolleyes:

29. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

The pun was intended. What gets me is that people can't seem to see the difference between the "Punk" and a some of the poorly built pieces of crap that festoon modern car shows and magazines. We know for a fact that some of the cars in the OP are drivers, were built to high standards and emmulate an era in traditional rodding.

To me these cars are more traditional than restored 57 Chevy's with cragars or primered gasser style cars that run 14's. I can find a magazine from the 60's with similar vehicles a the OP. I can't seem to find one with rusty farm trucks or spider web filled Essex's (or is it Exxi?) on the cover.:rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

30. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Rods...yes, traditional....no. The bubble tops are reminiscent of Ed Roth's creations. Like we said back in the day...."cool, man"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.