Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yenko Corvairs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by h2omonkey, Oct 5, 2012.

1. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i heard a story about the 427 Nova. Don Y pulled out on to Pike street, did a burn-out, went thru all the gears without really going forward, hit 4th and the car did a 360. i didnt see it, but heard this from someone who said he did.

2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The Corvairs are what started it all.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Gee, thanks Engine Man. I know that now after reading through this thread and another on a similar subject.

4. There are 13 REAL 427 Novas (all in 1969) known to exist. They were all Dealer conversion cars done at the Yenko dealership. The COPO LT-1 Novas (1970 only) were born at GM and marketed thru Yenko. He ceased production of the 427 Novas because Don himself considered them 'lethal'.
    The 67 & 68 Camaros were dealer conversions too, but the '69 sYc Camaros were COPO cars with the 427s installed at the Factory.
    Don also built some SBC powered Vegas, and in later years built turbo charged Camaros, etc.
    Now, ...... back on topic. :D

5. crofoot

crofoot

They did indeed build yenko nova and corvair i have seen both in a friends shop and owned a yenko corvair myself.Surprised the hell out of more than 1 small block vette in a straight line and through the corners.I could grab the wheel at 12 oclock and yank it to 6 oclock and the car would just go right,good way to put a woman in your lap in the day.

6. Chopperrides

Chopperrides

A 65 Corvairs suspension is the best you could get in an American car in that day, Yenko picked Corvairs over Corvettes for a reason, he had raced Vetts before going to the Corvair. The Corvair has coils all around and the Corvette has the monoleaf.

Eurethane bushings Koni Shocks and larger sway bars can be added along with HD brake pads (semi metallic ). Also a dual piston Master cylinder was added. You can buy adjustable lower control arms as well. I am testing some now. Stingers did not dominate SCCA but were very competitive and won the championship in 67 I believe. If you are a driver the Corvair is a must have car! The Mitty (Road Atlanta) had 12 or so this year.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Yenko also had Vegas :)

8. J. Yates

J. Yates
    from Bowie, MD

9. J. Yates

J. Yates
    from Bowie, MD

10. I have seen the novas, Camaros corvairs, and chevelles, but have never seen a yenko vega. Anybody have a pic of one?

11. J. Yates

J. Yates
    from Bowie, MD

12. 327Eric

327Eric

13. Yenko Vega...

Attached Files:

14. Thanks, that's cool. now back to corvairs.

15. J. Yates

J. Yates
    from Bowie, MD

16. No Time

No Time
    from Oregon

Thats a Motion car...

17. Big Ayers

Big Ayers

never knew they were part of Yenco

Attached Files:

18. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Saw a stinger at Carlisle that was the '64 and back style. Thought they were introduced in '62 about the time a guy named Fitch was also building Corvairs.

19. yenkos daughter is a doctor. she worked in my department for a while. she told me about the day she crashed and totaled a brand new stinger. after that crash she couldn't drive any more fast cars. she also told me she put the stripes on all the cars while in high school.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Boodlum

Boodlum

Back in the mid-1970's I worked with Joe Burch at One Corvair Place in Dallas. Joe owned Yenko Stingers serial numbers 095, 096 and 097. 095 was originally a street car but had the number plate and was built into a competitive D-Production SCCA racer. The other two were cleaned up and sold to customers. The race Stinger even made it into the National Run-offs at Road Atlanta in 1977 IIRC. At that race Joe qualified one row ahead of Paul Newman. Being as Paul Newman's character in The Long Hot Summer was named Ben Quick, the night before the race we had the track painter letter the back panel with the name "Ben Quicker". Yes Paul Newman beat us but he came by our pits later and had a good laugh with us. Cool guy.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Topstrap

Topstrap
    from East Ohio

Here are a couple pictures I took of a 1966 Stinger at the PID reunion this summer up in Washington PA. Really cool cars and WAY under rated for those that hadn't seen them perform.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Topstrap

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. indyjps

indyjps

Check out yenko.net, board dedicated to dealer built musclecars, you can likely get your corvair suspension questions answered by the owner of one of the cars

23. Boodlum

Boodlum

I will have nightmares tonight after looking at one more Corvair fanbelt. Their natural state is lying lifeless atop the engine cover.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  24. Chopperrides

Chopperrides

Since my Stinger reunion thread was squashed for some reason. Yenko Stingers were the original COPO cars they had
    3F41AA - special suspension equip
    3G81AA- positraction axle 3.55
    3M20BB - 4 speed transmission - Close ratio
    3N44AA - special steering equip - quick steering
    3758DA - black vinyl trim
    9513A - positraction axle 3.89 **
    9681E - independent brake unit - dual master cylinder
    The suspensions on Corvairs was already the best the U.S. produced in 1966 but with HD springs and sway bars it really shined. Owners added harder bushings etc. as well.

10933801_631808826944759_5117994608092858685_n.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  25. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Not to be outdone, Nickey looked into doing an HP version of the Corvair and worked with Bill Thomas Race Cars in Anaheim. I ended up with one of the engines from Bill Thomas that I put in to a dune buggy that was scary fast. Nothing came of the project, but there were several west coast road racers with Corvairs done by Bill Thomas.