Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Banger Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gemcityrenegade, Oct 19, 2012.

1. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

Just picked up this 31. Was told it ran good but that was in California. Doesn't seem to want to idle in cold Ohio. I'll start with cleaning out the fuel filter. Don't know much about these old bangers but it looks like I'll be finding out soon enough. We'll be working on it this week end and I'll post up my findings.

[​IMG]

2. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

You will have to mess with the jets, diferent alt and so forth.....

3. joee

joee

make sure the carb heater tube is on and working

4. A tub

A tub

like your ride, but question for ya? ??? what is that fluid on the ground in the pic you put up right under where the gearbox would normally be????, just had to ask??

5. Looks good!
    What's the spec of the engine? I'm seeing a couple of carbs - that's a fair bit without any other mods? High compression head?

Tried a new single 97 fresh out of the box on my tuned B engine the other day - way too much fuel at the bottom end and no time to set it up before racing so I'm saving that fun for another day...

6. slobroy

slobroy

Twin carbs AND a magneto? could be a sleeper!!!

7. It peed on the ground?

8. looks like a cool project

9. sololobo

sololobo

Don't know how it is running, but I know how it is looking, fan-friggin-tastic! Coolness abounds!! ~sololobo~

10. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

It's got two 97's and a Magneto. That's about all I know on the engine. Was told when they took the pan off that it looked nice inside. Runs super rough and won't idle but when you rev it up it sounds good. I'll post some video later..

11. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

Well it wasn't getting any fuel. And the whole bottom of the glass bowl was full of cotton like soft stuff. After pumping out all the fuel with another pump it looks like there's cotton wads down in there.. Maybe some kind of insulation or something to do with the pickup?

The linkage on the carbs is loosey goosey and the choke set up is kinda hacked. When I put a 3 4.5psi pump on it and a new dial style regulator it pissed gas out of the the top (looks like vent hole) on the front 97. So I set it to the 4 setting where the old one was and it seemed fine. Got it running pretty good for a second but it wouldn't shut off. Was told to unhook the single wire on the Wico mag to get it shut down but it didn't seem to work. Ran itself out of gas. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me. Ordered the Tardel 97 "little book" and a carb synchronizer.

My question is; What could be that cotton stuff inside the tank? Can I get inside the tank via the fuel gauge to get the debris out? What's the one wire coming off the Mag? Is that the kill wire? It's got a stop button wired up but it didn't work.

12. wallyringo

wallyringo

13. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Shouldn't be anything in there like cotton. Mouse nest at some time? You can access the tank somewhat through the gauge but not normally too effective. You can also come in through the filler. The big screen is removable. You will probably need to remove the tank(cowl). When you clean it out be sure to install the "pencil" screen inside.

14. i saw your car on Evil bay i was thinking about buying it, oh well you snooze you loose. it looks like a great Roadster have fun with it
    Brendan

15. Cool roadster! Here is a link with the HAMB monthly banger post:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739959&highlight=banger

That should keep you occupied for a little while :) Lot of the guys there can answer any questions you may have. Lot of folks love these bangers (I have one). Regarding the crap in the fuel, it may be best to pull the tank and have it cleaned out and put in new screen(s) and fuel filter(s) as needed. Good luck!

16. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Removing the wire from the mag guaranteed it would not stop as a mag needs to be grounded to shut it down.

17. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  18. moefuzz

moefuzz

Cool vid, whens part 2 coming?

....White crap in the fuel system?

Sounds like E85 ?? Methonal??

Wondering if a guy should watch what gas you are pumping into it..

Luckily up here in Santartica there is very little government mandated corn alkyhaul
    but the one time I did accidentally fill up with tree hugger gas the 49 Merc developed a sticky valve.

jmho

moe

19. dad-bud

dad-bud

Great lookin' little roadster - hope you have a ton of fun in it.
    Cheers.

20. Congrats to a Nice looking roadster! I liked your video, cool looking workbench!!!(The second one)

21. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

The 2nd one is my stump shrinker for shaping metal. The light just wasn't right in the first part of the vid on top of the tool box. I should have redone it but I was already in deep. Part 2 should be done in a week.

22. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

Alright, I got part two of the video made. It's a half an hour so it won't upload at my house cause my net sucks. I'll get it up asap. I also got the carbs back on and installed. One of them leaked more than I was okay with so I took it back apart and sanded the matting surface of the bottom bolts and now it just sweats a little like the other one. I installed the spun AL tank and wired up a new 2-3psi pump. Plumbed it all up and it purrs like a kitten. I just need to dial in the carbs and float settings. I also have a new style carb sync tool I'm gonna get going. I'll make another video about the car this week when it warms up.
    [​IMG]

23. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

24. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i was thinking what Moe mentioned. the fuel problem sounds like what ethanol/gas does when it evaporates over time. cottony mess.

awesome little car.

25. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

when ethanol absorbs water it turns into a white congealed mess in the tank. I would pull the tank, rinse the crap out of it with fresh gas and try again. mounting a new tank is pretty pointless imo. i'd like to see a pic of what you are seeing in the gas to tell exactly what it is you have.

looks like a pretty cool car though!

26. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

It's defiantly a mouse nest. This car hasn't been run in a long long time. Probably never seen E15 ever..

27. RussTee

RussTee

liking this car its growing on me I think it is an ideal stage to get a car be interested to see where it goes from here like your progress and how you are going about it.

28. jimvette59

jimvette59

looks like the old lady let go on the ground.

29. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

Coolant outa the overflow.

30. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

As for the carbs, it came with two 97's and a mag. The whole fuel system was being choked out with cotton from what I believe was a mouse nest in the stock tank. I just finished rebuilding both carbs with an array of genuine parts and plumbed a spun tank and parts store fuel pump 2/3 psi. Jets are the old 45's and the mains are new 65's (stock). This is just the initial test run with the pump rigged and the carbs at initial settings. I plan on dialing in the carbs and brakes for a full road test but here's a teaser shot of the first run. Seems to start and run very good so far for how cold it is. Notice when I take off it putters a bit. Maybe cause the manual choke and it being cold outside and motor not totally warmed up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3H6x2BTctI

Check my other videos for the Stromberg 97 rebuild. Part 1 is long but pretty good and part two isn't uploaded yet but will be soon. My plan tomorrow is to button up the fuel system and rack the car giving it a full shake down at my mechanic friends house. We will also attempt to also dial the brakes with it up in the air.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2FHaX8pIJc

I noticed that there is fuel dripping on the inside of the carb when sitting and idling, the other carb doesn't seem to do this. I'm thinking the float might be too high in that carb or it's not sealing inside. Could this be normal? Dripping even when not running? After I mess with the float on the one I will attempt to tune them by playing with the air/fuel and idle screws and syncing them with a new style sync tool. Well see how it runs after that.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013