Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering arm question (re-reaming?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sirhc, Oct 14, 2012.

1. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

I have a set of superbell dropped steering arms. With the location of my wishbones and frame, they'll fit great if I can run the tie rod on the top. Problem is, they're reamed from the bottom. I've heard that some aftermarket steering arms are reamed from both sides...

Should i find a different set of arms?

Can I ream the top half of my steering arms? Would that leave enough solid contact area for a strong link?

Thanks!

2. you can ream them from the top side halfway, it will be fine

3. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Thats how I ran mine fits great and I think it looks cleaner with the nuts on bottom.

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

X 2, Or you can drill out larger and weld in a tapered adaptor

5. alchemy

alchemy

I did a halfway ream and it's been working fine for years. No welding required.

6. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Thanks for the input guys. With the light front end load on this rig I think I'll just do an upper half re ream. Anyone have a good source for a reamer? Saw speedways but a cheaper option would be nice...

Thanks again.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

That's how I did mine.

8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Chris
    Do the reaming, then when you reverse the end, Dorman makes nice little cone shaped washers that will take up the "slack", if you're concerned about it.

9. bct

bct

there is always lots of taper area on a tie rod end you may be able to ream more than half way . the end will sink into the arm a little further but i little more insurance, just make sure you dont run out of thread for castlated nut.

10. bct

bct

oh ...snap on sells and they good for life. i think i have paid for mine in beer recieved for lending it out.

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I agree, its worked for me many times, I only mentioned the weld in adaptor if the OP had any concerns.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When you torque down the castle nut it will jam the tie rod end into the newly tapered upper section and never move. The 7 degree reamer Speedway sells is not real cheap, but it will last you forever.

Don

13. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Forged spindles and steering arms, no? I cut mine off and flipped it over and welded it back solid. Granted, it was late on a saturday night and it had to be done right then, so I didn't have the time luxury. Funny thing is, mine was reamed from the top, and I needed it to go into the bottom to clear the wishbone.

Mike

14. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Thanks for the input guys - even got a PM offering a loaner tool. What a great website and a great bunch of people. Thanks again...