Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need unusual motor suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruthish, Sep 15, 2012.

1. I have not read every response to this thread but I think that this statement pretty much cancels out a lot of the options that I have read.

36vette,
    I like your option by the way, last twin H I saw for sale was little more than a block and a recirpocating assembly that needed to be rebuilt and it was almost 2K. No exaust mainfolds, the intake was cracked as well as the head.

But I do like our idea, I would love to throw a runner in an old coupe.

2. If you're going to throw some modern shit in it, why not go with a Dodge Viper engine!

3. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

I saw a nice rod at Hagley car show this past weekend with a Ford 3.8L (Essex) V6 in it. The engine was the early carbureted version (1982 casting number on the lower intake manifold). It had a custom built tubular air-gap upper intake with 3 Stromberg-style carburetors feeding a log-style plenum. It sounds kind of lame, but believe me, it looked great. All the aluminum, including the heads, had been polished, and it looked nice and shiny. That engine won't make crazy power, but it was enough to move the stripped-down roadster it was in. Very cool rod. I wish I had a picture, but I forgot the camera.

4. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a few inlines all producing over 2.5 HP per cubic inch. The one with the blower is a Ford 300 six and is a 9 second car in a quarter mile. There is a Chevy 292 in South Dakota that is running phenomenal times and shifts at 9,000 RPM. The new GM 4200 OHC six is another one to look at. The Self Racing Team in Durant, OK. is getting over 880 HP out of one they are working with on an engine Dyno.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I agree!

Flatheads are always cool, and these have a lot more power than a Ford. AK Miller won a lot of races with these engines!

Traditional too- again, AK Miller won a lot of races with these engines!

6. Choff

Choff

How about a Chrysler Straight Eight flat head, 130 hp , with headers and dual carb setup ? more hp, I have one for sale $400.00
    Road Trip to Wisconsin for pickup.
    Choff

Attached Files:

7. I've always had a soft spot for Pontiac V/8s...good parts interchangability, reasonable parts pricing and they're only about 35-40 LBS heavier than a small block chevy. Plus you can bolt up a modern manual tranny behind any 55-79 Pontiac and a modern automatic behind any 65 and newer Poncho engine. Cubic inches range from 287 ['55 engine] to 455 cu. in. Lots of aftermarket parts for them also.
    A blown 406 Pontiac ruled the "Yahoo award" at the HAMB drags for years with a best run of 10.98 in a model A sedan with a 400 turbo tranny.
    Photo of my '57, 347 punched to 370 cu. in. going into my 34 ford coupe with a camaro 5 speed and a quickchange rear...I like different too but I like to go fast.

Attached Files:

8. Abomination

Abomination

+1 for the 318 Poly.

They look cool (scalloped valve covers), nobody knows what they are (lots of looks at car shows), and other than the heads, intake, and exhaust, they're just a regular, old small block Mopar! You can get parts at about any auto parts store, and the '62 - '66 blocks even bolt up to any transmission a small block Mopar will!

Here's 29Jay's:

[​IMG]

~Jason

9. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

I love the TDI. Invincible motor. A friend has a 1999 Jetta with a Cummins turbo. With 239k on the stock bottom end, it dosen't break, the boost just stretches the headbolts.

10. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

Nothing more unusual than a motor without pistons!

[​IMG]

11. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I have not read the whole thread but Desoto Hemi is my vote.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  12. Damn rocky, my phone had a stoke opening that picture.

For some reading enjoyment Google NEDRA or national electric drag racing association.

13. BuickBrad

BuickBrad
    from minnesota

Ford 300ci straight six? chevy 302 maybe even a 307? Ive always had a fondness for the buick nailhead personally...looking forward to hearing what you pick!

14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Any later EA827 derivative can do with better (read: conventional) head bolts!

15. deto

deto

That can get you beat up around here...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. ^ Yep, no head scratching, just YUCK!

Anyway, ya wanna off- beat mill?..Get Aussie- get into the '48- 63 Holden six. Silly? Have a look at the links below, then tell me it's silly.
    132-8 cu. in. 'baby' Chev inline 6. Designed in Detroit in '38. Lotsa speed equipment. Plenty of parts available. Not huge on torque but rev out nice.
    Third shot shows a '64 type six. Torquier, tough mills. Even more popular than the early mill.

Check 'em out;
    http://www.thegreymotor.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_straight-six_motor

Attached Files:

17. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Mercedes V8, gotta be expensive, though? I've seen at least one in a really ragged-out Benz. 401 AMC, or the easier to find 360 (used in full-size Jeeps through about 91). Continental 6? Okay, get really strange: think 2 cycle outboards. Lots of hp/small package?

18. daddylama

daddylama

what I do... craigslist. look for a cheap complete car that was hit.
    usually the cars that were in an accident were parked due to that, rather than a blown motor/trans.

i ended up with a ford 390 that way. after parting and scraping the rest of the car, not only was the motor/trans free, i had $400 extra in my pocket.

instead of deciding what motor i'm gonna use.... i see what i can find, then decide if i want to use *that*... lots easier than searching for something specific :D

19. A bigger, torquier aussie muscle classic is the 265 Mopar Hemi inline six. You did say different

link;

http://hemisix.com/

20. Pontiac Iron Duke 4 cyl works well in a light car. V6 Fiero engine can make a lot of power.370-389 Pontiac from 57 up had a hydromatic 4 speed trans and optional tri power set ups.

21. jimbousman

jimbousman

A real honest to goodness '40 - 51 Olds mill would be sweet. Ah, but not sure I'd be scratching my head over a faux Olds. Folks will either think it's and Olds or they'll realize what it is and hate it especially around here. You want something unusual, there are plenty of good choices. You don't have to faux something up to get respect.

22. hotrodbrad

hotrodbrad

Someone must have sa I'd I by now so +1 for nailhead

23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Not necessarily. The iron-block 3.5/4.5 is common enough, and is very much in the language that just touches the HAMB era in the form of the larger, rarer, and presumably more expensive 6.3/6.9, which was introduced in 1963. The later alloy-block 3.8/4.2/5.0 was based on the iron-block architecture and may accept early cam covers etc.

Note that there were two 3.8s, of which the early one is the one to go for. It's a heavily oversquare design that will happily spin to 7500rpm stock. The other is a small-bore econo/smog engine.

Stock parts are likely to be expensive, but should be well made. Hop up parts are AMG - by now probably rare - or ingenuity ...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  24. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Jason, You are more than right about the ??'s it is the 1st thing that people go to on my sedan... The Mopar guys dig it... the others are guessing what it is... It is alot more fun that a SBC for sure... and I paid double for the cam, intake and header flanges.... but guess what, worth it!

25. Run a Poncho v8 Power Plant.

26. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Well, If your gonna throw everything to the wind and be one of the,
    "for the sake of being different" guys at the car show.

Briggs & Stratton...or Tecumseh...

27. Sal Cicala

Sal Cicala

Well Bruthish, ya got anything to say ?

28. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

Well, this is my being different -----------http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bQKvdHkfTms

29. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

If you really want to be different, go 3=6. DKW from Germany in the 1950-60s had a three cylinder two stroke engine that could be made to scream. Only 1000 cc and seven moving parts, but you could put expansion chambers on it and have a sound that no one could reproduce. And it has no water pump, just like the Model A. Looks like a flat head, sounds like a dirt bike!

30. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Pure Inspiration. 302 GMC 6

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258189

So, Bruthish, ya ever gonna come back?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012