Register now to get rid of these ads!

Small block Chevy guys...what do I have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Oct 15, 2012.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Just read the whole thing.This thread (so far) has been more fun than a barrel of drunk monkeys.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    leo

2. Deuces

Deuces

I think I have one er two of the "Autolite" 735 cfm Holleys... I need to check the List numbers and see what they came off of...

3. Grumbler

Grumbler

The suspense, the suspense..........so while we're waiting heres my LT-1 story. In grade 12 my buddy Dave talked his MOM into splitting a 70 Camaro RS with him. She drove it to work, he drove after school and weekends. After his dad, who knew cars, brought it home from the dealer Dave took it for a burn and it seemed gutless compared to when he test drove it. He popped the hood and it took him about thirty seconds to find that the old man had had the dealer disconnect the carb secondaries, the linkage nicely stowed......you can figure out the rest.[​IMG]
    Yeah, those LT-1s were FAST

4. My money is on it being an LT-1, Fuelie Corvette engine that was always ment to be in a hot rod Ford. :D

Oh and for those that can't figure it out, this was sarcasm. :rolleyes:

5. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

:insertreadingnewspaperemoticon:

thats subscribed and waitin for you old folks

6. to calirfy..it is likely NOT and original LT1 motor, but does use LT1 style pistons, it has earlier 'fuelie' style 461 or 462 heads that were not offered on an LT1 but a slew of other Chevy performance cars...

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Was a casting date ever discovered? Sorry if I missed it. Looks like a well-built LT-1 'type' engine of the era. Not uncommon around here back then, excepting maybe the o-ring part. Cool motor.

8. teejay99

teejay99

...when he finally gets inside the motor , he'll probably find a "Jenkins Competition " stamp somewhere .....a "secret" experiment called LT-1X that the Grump had hidden in a Ford ...last place anyone would look .:D
    Yeah , that's the ticket .:cool:

T

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

Damn right I did....I know my place ;) Unfortunately I didn't make it over there...just got to late. I will have plenty of time this weekend for sure, and good day light to see what I'm doing.

I know this is not a "Holy Grail" of SBC's or a Z-11 "Mystery Motor"...it is exactly how you put it, "Its a nicely built, bread and butter street/strip 350 from the seventies". It has some exotic touches and some hot speed goodies. Once I get some more pictures and drop the pan we will know more.

As for the carb, I can get the list numbers so we can I.D. it.

Oh...I got the sarcasm, heck I was RAISED on sarcasm :D

...I swear, my Mother could write a book..."Parenting Through Sarcasm"...:D

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Are we related??:D

11. Model T1

Model T1

Everyone on the HAMB is related. Go get a blood test and you will see 10W 30 in all our DNA.
    Ain't that scary?:eek:
    So much fuss over one orange small block Ford engine. :confused:

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

It is a distinct possibility... :rolleyes: :D

My mother: "No, don't get up and exhaust yourself cleaning up your room, the new maid I hired will be here at 2:00pm to take it for you..."

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

10/30 is too thin for the loose old crap I own.I know it ain't a Ford because the distributor drive rod isn't laying in the oil pan or the oil pump seized from valve seal debris.

14. Ah its got valve covers on it, ain't good for much...............

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think we should find him a mustang to put it in so that engine would feel at home again.

16. Well it would finally go fast and be dependable. :eek: :D

17. MrModelT

MrModelT

:D ...but seriously, there is nothing wrong with a SBF, he's just kidding folks...

...right? :confused:

18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Falcongeorge nailed it I think--well built 350 with 11:1 and 462's--cam probably an L79 or perhaps a 140 "off road" cam. Looks well built and desirable to me-would be quick in the right car. I would like to own it --would run hard in my 40 coupe.

19. Sal Cicala

Sal Cicala

MrModelT, when you get the carb list number, please also get the 3 digit date code below it. This looks like an original Holley 4160 model (probably close to 600 CFM) that came on a '66-'69 high perf small or big block Chevy's, based on the choke mechanism style and throttle lever. Could be a small gold mine, especially if the date code is during the model year production run (and not a service replacement). If it's valuable, it will sell in a heartbeat on EBAY, and then go buy a new holley of the size you want with money left over. It's not from a solid lifter chevy engine, because they used Holley 4150 model carbs that had a secondary metering block. I'm guesing this is a 427/390 HP or maybe a 327/350 HP carb, or maybe an early ('66) 396/360 HP Chevelle carb. All very valuable if the date code is right. Need that darn LIST number and 3 digit date code. Thanks.

20. Sal Cicala

Sal Cicala

Olscrounger, Love your '40 Coupe. The color too. Has to be one of the best styling jobs by any auto company ever.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Now THATS some funny shit right there...:D:D

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

Will do. We won't know what I have until I get over there and get some info.

23. Deuces

Deuces

We can wait.... :rolleyes:

24. teejay99

teejay99

Hey ,Deuces , Tigers are in !......kicked the crap out of the Yanks 8-1 !!

Deuces likes this.
  25. Sal Cicala

Sal Cicala

Go Tigers !!!

Deuces likes this.
  26. Looks like A-Rod will be lookin' for a job.

27. MrModelT

MrModelT

Hi all!

I haven't been able to get over to my parents as soon as I had hoped...had things at home get in the way. Should be able to run over and get the much sought after pics this weekend.

However, while you wait....I found some stuff on the Shelby you might like...

If you notice on the window sticker, it lists the "Rally Stripes" as optional and Grandpa's car was minus these stripes. His is the ONLY one I have ever seen or seen reference to without them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were taken in the mid-70's....after the 350 was installed in the Shelby..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one shows the 350 in question while it was still installed in the Shelby's engine bay...

[​IMG]

banjeaux bob and Deuces like this.
  28. Sal Cicala

Sal Cicala

Thank you MrModelT. Will be interested in seeing what you find this weekend. Nice pictures and documentation on the old Shelby GT 350. Not complaining, but amazing a Chevy V8 ended up in it.

29. MrModelT

MrModelT

Another Piece of interesting information.

I contacted the Shelby America Automobile Club (SAAC) inquiring about locating Grandpa's long lost Shelby.

According to the world registry the current owner is "unknown", but it states that car had a "327 Chevrolet engine installed for a decent period by the original owner"

...the plot thickens :D

Deuces likes this.