Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 plymouth bumpers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1941coupe, Aug 9, 2012.

1. 1941coupe

1941coupe

im interested in installing 49 ply triple ripple bumpers on my 41 ford,what should i be looking for 2 front ply 2 rears or one of each...hole spacing on the 41 is the same as 1940 ford...i mounted ply bumpers on a 40 and 47 ford years ago and mounted what i had,,,dont recall if they were fronts or rears:confused:

2. shootest

shootest
    from Upstate NY

Thats interesting I am having my Plymouth bumpers chromed as we speak.
    They will be mounted on my 1941 Ford Business Coupe. See attached.

Attached Files:

3. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here is repop set on a '32 Chevy sedan. I think they add some positive appearances to the cars that use them.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

4. teddyp

teddyp

I used 2 front bumpers on my 50 chevy

Attached Files:

5. tankwilson

tankwilson

The front and rear bumpers have very similar curves, but they are different.
    One is longer than the other and has but not sure which

6. Another option is Briz rippled aluminum bumpers. You can order them to fit your car in either 3 or 5 rib. I used 'em on my '39 Ply. They fit perfectly tho they come undrilled. You can save some $$$ going this route, rather than having to get a set of '49 Ply bumpers re-chromed and making/modifying your bumper brackets.

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

That SHOULD mean that you know the answer to the original question. Obviously nobody els that responded knows.

8. Dale, shootest didn't have a question......

9. 1941coupe

1941coupe

no i didn't give up ,the bumpers appear to have different bolt spacing,looking at an old pic of my 47 ford with a ply bumper on rear it has the bolts widely spaced from center,it is a ply rear bumper and 41-48 ford have about the same body it should fit nicely,will have to alter brackets but no biggie,i think a front ply bumper will work on the front but still checking...

10. 1941coupe

1941coupe

no you use the same bumper holes just alter/redrill brackets,the ply bumpers appear to be the same shape front or rear but i could be wrong

11. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

No but 1941 Coupe did. And Shootist was the only one who appeared to actually have a set of Plymouth bumpers.

12. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I do not think that your front bumper as pictured is a '49 Plymouth......the Plymouth's are three ribbed and curve around the gravel pan, front and rear.....I had them on my '50 Ford Club Coopay in high school!

CB

13. Uh...hate to break it to you, but those aren't '49 Plymouth bumpers on your coupe. Check out the real 49 bumper in my avatar - 3 ripples.

14. sproadster30

sproadster30
    from Natick, Ma

Any chance those 41 bumpers are available after you guys swap em? Been looking for a decent pair. Thanks!

15. Rem

Rem

So we still don't really know the difference between front and rear Plymouth bumpers? Also, are '48 and '49 the same? There's a '40 in Bad Bob's Outriders picnic photos and the bumper looks a little narrow on the front.

They're a bit thin on the ground over here so going to have a look at some isn't an option, and don't want to spend out on some that then don't work on the car.

16. Rem

Rem

Another try?

17. What did it cost you to chrome them?

18. What did it cost you to had them rechromed?