Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Chevy Sedan Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, May 8, 2011.

1. Voh

Voh

Finally made some progress. Couple weeks ago I rewired a 1946 Tudor sedan similar to mine. It was nice to work on a cool old car AND get paid AND get practice for mine.

Yesterday I remade the drivers cowl post foot where it sits on the frame. Got the old out and new one in. Wish it would have ended up a little longer, but its going to be just fine. Now I can start to put the rockers and stuff back in.

2. Voh

Voh

Some pics

Attached Files:

3. Voh

Voh

More good news this week. I had been sort of watching out for a 283 that was the right price, cause deep down I don't think I was gonna like the 6. Anyway scored one in Austin Tuesday night. Supposed to be a '67 motor. Has everything there including a flywheel.

4. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Nice. 283's are a great little motor. Should propel your '41 down the road nicely and still give you decent mileage.

5. hemi v8

hemi v8

Good to see you're back at it.

6. Voh

Voh

Before the welder went on vacation yesterday and after I got the tattoo finished up, I was able to get the patch panels on. Next will be the rocker so I can then finish the floor braces. Little steps, but at least steps. And fun ones at that.

Attached Files:

7. Voh

Voh

Von Dutch...

Attached Files:

8. Normbc9

Normbc9

I do too. Nice find! Great ideas and it is a lot of hard work but think of the finished project. I always was partial to the Chevy '41-42 and Mercury '41-'42 body styles and exterior trim. There is a '42 coupe in my town that also has the chrome trim strips on the fenders and he even took the tine to apply those to the rear wheel skirts. Congratulations to what could be a real eye catcher!
    Normbc9

9. nothin'new63

nothin'new63

Please keep posting pictures! it's nice to see someone else working on a 2door sedan, heck it's nice to see another 2Dr sedan in general. I got a lot of work ahead of me on mine. There aren't any real surprises beneath the surface of mine though. That would imply there is still a surface. Lol I am curious to see what you do with the rear wheel wells I think I am gonna wind up building mine from scratch my 41 is sitting on a modified 65 chevelle chassis so I got to get creative anyway. Keep me posted I wanna see more of this build. And good luck man!

10. Voh

Voh

Well, no real progress since the last post. My welder quit working mid tacking the panels on, then i went on vacation. The welder is going back Tuesday. Hope to be back at it soon!

11. Voh

Voh

got the welder back with no issues and have been running the wire thru it. Little progress on the car other then some part scores.

I picked up a 1967 Chevy 283 2-barrel thats going to be used instead of the 235.

Grabbed an aluminum bellhousing from a HAMBer.

Pcked up a rear axle from a 1965 lemans. Complete, drum to drum. Looks like a 3.08 gear. Now I must decide if I want to 4-link it or remove the brackets and leaf spring it.

On top of that, been house hunting cause I need elbow room. Just had my offer accepted on a nice little place with 3.6 acres. Cant wait until I move!

12. chevydude#1

chevydude#1
    from louisiana

Keep the pics coming! I am also working on a 41chevy 2dr sedan.I installed the 4 link from gambino. I'm far away from building a seat tho. I plan to narrow the seat and move it forward, there is plenty of leg room in front of the back seat anyway.

13. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Did you get the house? Making any progress on the 41?

14. Voh

Voh

I got the house! juat about got the garage in order. Its amazing how much stuff you end up having tucked away.

I did get more parts. I bought a '53 chevy front end. I had planned on a swap of the whole thing, but based on a few comments on here, I'm not 100% sure. I may just some of the parts (the '53 looked to be an easier one to bag being the true upper/lower A-arms. Not the integral A-arm/shock that the '41 has).

I do know for sure, there is the perfect amount of elbow room on the propert and should have any neighbor/noise issues.

15. 1pickup

1pickup

subscribed. I've got a '41 sedan also, waiting patiently until a pile of other projects get done first.

16. Voh

Voh

So i have a delema. I have picked up a front axle from a 1953 chevy, in hopes of swapping them out and getting the later style A-arm suspension set up. A few have indicated it might not be as simple as I was thinking.

I have collected these things, and now I am starting to second guess my thoughts.

I want this to be a simple, drivable, fun car. So much for that!

17. Voh

Voh

ImageUploadedByTJJ1356581919.333026.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1356581960.047477.jpg

So here is the the 50's chevy front axle that I picked up. There was little converstion/comments on the practicality of installing the later model crossmember. Is it worth it? can it be done? One item that I have noticed is the point of "pivot" of the tie rods. The '41 is mostly at the left, where as the 50's model is almost a center steer. Which way do I go? Anyone ever ventured down this path? Can I count on the stock shock and steering? Should I just scrap all this and go with a mustang II setup?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  18. txturbo

txturbo

Since the flange is already gone.....I would add in some metal and make the fender wider.and weld it to the body.

19. chubbie

chubbie

as stated you were looking for some thing simple.. the M II is a good option:eek: I made shock mounts for modern tube shocks, and filled the '41 front shocks with gun grease. used dropped spindles and made my own disk brake set up. the steering box is the only problem you will have. fill it with GUN grease. set the box up to where it is tight. one of the bottom bolts has a cam shoulder on it tighten it up!! the rubber dampers on the tie rods/ steering arm are shot (or will be in 100 miles) take these off and weld them solid (serious as a fart!!) weld them solid!! check out your tie rod ends replace if need to ( they are rebuildable not replaceable) i was told that you cant line up the front end on these, bullshit!! they are adjustable!! mine drives great!!! but I could use some help on the steering box

20. nice work so far...... keep the pics and updates coming.....

21. Keep up the good work. I've had my OT 41' sedan since 1988. Still my favorite car for crusing around in. Plenty of room for beer and friends too ! :D

22. Great build so far. Keep picking away at it!

23. Voh

Voh

Need a little help on the lowers. What do need for the bolt? It's a Chassis Engineering bolt in kit. Will be using stock stamped upper/lowers. It looks as simple as a standard bolt, but looking at "stock" bolt picks, they look to have a cam action to them for adjustment.

24. Normbc9

Normbc9

This is not my work but here is what I call a Show Stopper for the Chevrolet sedans. The metal work is the finest I have seen in years. And it is truly a "One of a Kind!" The cars was at a Show in Concord, CA. Anything is possible and this beauty shows some planning and talent too.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

25. Voh

Voh

havent got to the brakes yet. I have a set of GM rotors, 9" i believe, but nothing else. Will prolly order a new hub out set.

Why do most the kits indicate that a 1" offset occurs? Any not offset?

26. Voh

Voh

ImageUploadedByTJJ1360730395.612687.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1360730407.133338.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1360730424.282302.jpg
    Rear axle is out of the way!! It's funny how one bolt acts like it was new last year and the one right next to seems to be welded in!!

I have the rear shocks and front shocks if anyone wants them. Just the ride and they are yours.

27. Voh

Voh

Got the motor in place. Need to modify the transmission mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

nice progress on your Chevy! How are the rear fender mounting flanges? Any rust through?

29. Voh

Voh

thanks!! The flanges are way past rust thru and all the way to gone. Both fenders were welded on. These will be welded back on too.

30. Voh

Voh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next dilemma is the lowering of the rear. Should I reuse the existing leaf springs or use new ones?

Im thinking about reusing the originals, tall saddles and 2-3" blocks. also thinking I can revers the eyes.

Can anyone offer suggestions? The front is a MII with stock spindles. It will ride there for at least this version. That's why I am thinking the original rears will suffice.